Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Sep 06, 2015, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by basslord1124
United States, KY, Ashland
Joined Jul 2013
573 Posts
Discussion
Champ-magnetic wing mod

So last night I snapped the other half of my Champ wing and I was able to tape it back up and still fly it. So now both sides of the wing have been cracked or snapped and then taped back up. Even after all that it still seems to fly fine BUT I'm still going to replace the wing with a new one.

I had seen the magnetic mod on youtube and thought it seemed pretty cool. I see it has been brought up here too but that was from 4 years ago

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56836&page=180

Has anyone done it with their Champs currently and was it a success or not? I think it'd be neat but wonder about the strength of the magnet (to make sure it doesn't come off mid flight and survive things like loops, etc). It's like I'd still be a little scared and want to use some of glue/adhesive. I do have some very strong magnets laying around but can't remember what kind they are...they are about the size and thickness of a nail head.

So anyways, has anybody ever tried it? Any success/failure stories?
basslord1124 is online now Find More Posts by basslord1124
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2015, 06:43 PM
Joined Jul 2013
573 Posts
Here's Teddy's wing breaks
Old Sep 07, 2015, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2013
573 Posts
*crickets chirping*

I'm guessing no one has tried it. I started thinking I may just do the normal way. According to the HH video it just uses double sided tape which surprised me...I would've figured some sort of glue.
Old Sep 08, 2015, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by schuey19
Australia, NSW, Forest Hill
Joined Sep 2013
269 Posts
I did it on mine. Just did it on my brand new UMX Radian on the weekend, and I have also used the same magnets to create a motor hatch on my UMX Carbon Cub. About the fifth flight post mod, I inadvertently tested out the wing mod twice. Why didn't I do it sooner! Clipped the street light, wing departed and fuse dropped to the ground. Landed nose first but nothing broke. Snap wing back on and toss back into sky. During testing I wanted to see how much load it could take, and from a fair altitude entered into a dive. On the third successive loop, the wing and fuselage parted company. Both floated down, the fuse a bit quicker than I would have liked, but no damage to speak of.

Here's my Carbon Cub mod, the Champ wing mod was done the same way: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957
schuey19 is offline Find More Posts by schuey19
Old Sep 09, 2015, 09:43 AM
Joined Jul 2013
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey19 View Post
I did it on mine. Just did it on my brand new UMX Radian on the weekend, and I have also used the same magnets to create a motor hatch on my UMX Carbon Cub. About the fifth flight post mod, I inadvertently tested out the wing mod twice. Why didn't I do it sooner! Clipped the street light, wing departed and fuse dropped to the ground. Landed nose first but nothing broke. Snap wing back on and toss back into sky. During testing I wanted to see how much load it could take, and from a fair altitude entered into a dive. On the third successive loop, the wing and fuselage parted company. Both floated down, the fuse a bit quicker than I would have liked, but no damage to speak of.

Here's my Carbon Cub mod, the Champ wing mod was done the same way: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957
Well you know, your post brings up something I didn't think about. If I do this and I hit something at high altitude that causes the wing and fuse to separate I would feel the fuse could suffer more damage (falling faster) versus had I glued/taped the wing. If the wing is glued/taped it would possibly damage just that part of the wing and there would be more surface area that is still attached that could possibly slow the rate of descent and perhaps not cause as much damage.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by Webin
United States, OR
Joined Apr 2014
75 Posts
I did the mag mod on my Champ wing last year. I was specifically worried about in-flight separation, but that turned out to be a non-issue. If you did through my posts, I'm sure you could find my results.... essentially, it's impossibly to fly the Champ in such a way that a good installation will come apart.

I have had the wing come off when I hit the ground wrong or fly past a post too closely... exactly when you'd want it to come off. I wouldn't worry too much about hitting something at high altitude, since there's not much up there. If it's a tree, the wing staying on would get it more stuck. If it's another plane you hit... well, there's lots of problems with that one if it's hard enough for separation.

I would recommend buying a new wing since they are cheap and doing the mag mod. The advantages are huge and I really enjoying the project.
Webin is offline Find More Posts by Webin
Old Sep 24, 2015, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2013
573 Posts
I think I have decided I'm going to go ahead and try it. Already got the replacement wing, just need to order the magnets now.
Old May 29, 2016, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Fly and Drive RC
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
822 Posts
Do share your magnet wing pictures. Also, so these magnets hold the wing/fuselage together during loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslord1124 View Post
I think I have decided I'm going to go ahead and try it. Already got the replacement wing, just need to order the magnets now.
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby