HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
gpm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
13 Posts
Wing installation hint

The instruction manual quotes: "move the wing on the tube into the slot in the fuselage while putting the aileron and flap connectors in the fuselage, note: hemostats or needle nose pliers may be required to put the connectors in the fuselage"
The problem with this is the flap leads are quite short, and when you try and grab them from the other side, you often find that they have jammed in between the wing and fuse - means removing the wing again - very frustrating.
Here's a better way - get some long servo extension leads, plug them into the wing leads, drop them down through the hole in the fuse, and you can maintain tension on them while sliding the wing on, no jamming. Unplug the extensions, plug the servo leads into their y lead, etc, and do the same for the other wing.
gpm is offline Find More Posts by gpm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
gpm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
13 Posts
Servo problem

Took the pro out for it's second day of flying this morning, had about 6 flights all up, it was flying fantastic, landed it, changed the battery (nothing else), hand launched ok, then things became a bit difficult.
The wind had started to blow a bit, but all of a sudden the pro just started doing tight turns to the left, the only way I could keep it straight was by holding full right aileron, but then it just nosed down hard, I wanted it down asap, but that involved full right aileron, elevator up (nearly stalling into the wind) and using rudder to steer, (thumbs were pretty busy) got it down finally!
On the bench we noticed that with sticks centered, the left aileron was deflected up about 12mm (????) The angle of the servo had changed compared to the right one, so we checked the arm, it was tight, couldn't get it to move on the spline, the plastic clevis was tight on the horn, and if you gave the servo full deflection, it would go to it's end stop and then "bounce" back the other way. Tried to adjust the clevis, but even all the way in the aileron was still up.
Eventually adjusted the left ail sub trim to -48 and everything was back to normal, flew it 2 more times, just as good as before.
I'll replace this servo just in case it decides to go back to where it was before!
gpm is offline Find More Posts by gpm
Last edited by gpm; Nov 23, 2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: wording
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:25 PM
There, that oughta hold it!
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2009
25 Posts
New Pro

I ordered a new pro last week. It hasn't shipped yet. Trying to temper my excitment since we have 4 inches of snow in Seattle with more snow and wind on the way. There won't be a thermal for hundreds of miles in the next few days.
kblanch0 is offline Find More Posts by kblanch0
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2008
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
Took the pro out for it's second day of flying this morning, had about 6 flights all up, it was flying fantastic, landed it, changed the battery (nothing else), hand launched ok, then things became a bit difficult.
The wind had started to blow a bit, but all of a sudden the pro just started doing tight turns to the left, the only way I could keep it straight was by holding full right aileron, but then it just nosed down hard, I wanted it down asap, but that involved full right aileron, elevator up (nearly stalling into the wind) and using rudder to steer, (thumbs were pretty busy) got it down finally!
On the bench we noticed that with sticks centered, the right aileron was deflected up about 12mm (????) The angle of the servo had changed compared to the right one, so we checked the arm, it was tight, couldn't get it to move on the spline, the plastic clevis was tight on the horn, and if you gave the servo full deflection, it would go to it's end stop and then "bounce" back the other way. Tried to adjust the clevis, but even all the way in the aileron was still up.
Eventually adjusted the left ail sub trim to -48 and everything was back to normal, flew it 2 more times, just as good as before.
I'll replace this servo just in case it decides to go back to where it was before!
Talking of servos, one of my flap servos "sings" (Not chatter) until i give it a light tap to allow it to centre properly. I'm guessing this is a digital servo, i haven't looked under the lid to confirm this, but the flap servos seem to be programmed to move slower when flaps are activated.
Has anyone else experienced "singing servos" and is it something to worry about?
I'll look into loosening up the flaps and make sure nothing is sticking to allow it to centre properly, but it doesn't seem like anything obvious...
soundpod is offline Find More Posts by soundpod
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:44 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Yes i got my Radian Pro today. As i was in the LHS putting money down on the plane UPS happen to show up with the shipment so i saw this as destiny and bought one. I started to set it up and yes my flaps servo sings as well. If you find out how to fix please let me know.
Im also using the Turnigy 2.4 radio with the 8 channel reciever. so if anyone else is setting this up on this radio i need help. I cant get the butterfly to work..
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:52 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,329 Posts
have fitted my Eagle Tree logger to the Pro, so next trip out and we will have some stats hope i can catch a thermal like i did the other day Thursday is looking like our next flying day so fingers crossed

gpm: glad to hear you got it down ok, I wonder what happened to cause that servo to play up, hope it's an isolated case

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:23 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Yes one of my flap servos sings. It does not buzz. It can't mean anything good. I'm thinking of replacing it.

Also when I unpacked the wings, I found the left aileron was warped up 1/2 inch where it was supposed to align with the left flap. It had been badly packed in the box. I removed the warp with an iron on a low setting.

I haven't flown yet. I'm waiting for the wind to die down. It's 18 knots right now.

I'm using the following set-up.
http://www.jrradios.com/Articles/Art...ID=1459&Page=7
Placing the Motor Control on the Spoiler Stick when in Launch Mode and Still Using the Spoiler Stick for Landing Flaps in Landing Mode
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2008
111 Posts
the singing noise is very similar to the micro sukhoi noise which i've learnt to ignore. This also leads me to think it is a characteristic of Parkzone digital servos..(or digital servos in general, of which i have very little experience using)... Anyone??

Edit,
A quick internet search seems to indicate that its a digital servo characteristic when the servo has very light loads, (A lesser version of chatter) therefore freeing up the control surface should help.
Last edited by soundpod; Nov 22, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:05 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundpod View Post
Talking of servos, one of my flap servos "sings" (Not chatter) until i give it a light tap to allow it to centre properly. I'm guessing this is a digital servo, i haven't looked under the lid to confirm this, but the flap servos seem to be programmed to move slower when flaps are activated.
Has anyone else experienced "singing servos" and is it something to worry about?
I'll look into loosening up the flaps and make sure nothing is sticking to allow it to centre properly, but it doesn't seem like anything obvious...
The servos used in the new Radian Pro are the same ones used in the T-28. The servos often sing in the T-28's, so I expect it may be common in the Radian Pro. You can jostle the stick on the transmitter controls to recenter a singing servo, and as you describe, the singing stops.

I do not worry about the singing servos after 3 years and almost 500 flights with my T-28. In the third year one aileron servo did fail in flight, requiring a replacement body. I also recently found the rudder servo began chattering intermittently in a pre-flight check and replaced it before it caused any problems.

I did find that working the control surfaces loosens them up and reduces the amount of singing by the servos, but the servos still sing intermittently on the T-28.

My T-28 using the same servos as the Radian Pro has proven to be extremely rugged and durable in 3 years of demanding use. I see no reason why my Radian Pro using the same servos will not be as rugged as well.

Tom
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,031 Posts
ive also had singing flap servo on my GP Cherokee.As SoundPod said "when the servo has very light loads".
Could be a the control rod,Hinge,anything that could be binding and producing a light load on the servo.I have my flaps set for 2 notches, 10 degrees and 20 degrees,i found it only sang when it was at 20 percent down(full Flaps).What i did was decrease the throw untill it stopped chattering/singing.It only took a few increments , Even the Sub trim would Prob work as well
Try that if your flaps has a 100 percent throw,lower it untill it stops.Worked for me
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:31 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,031 Posts
*[EDIT].After reading your post again... Is it when its at the nutreal position? If so, Sub trim still should work.Seeing it only takes a few degrees too get it too stop,It should not make a difference in the flying characteristics of the Pro
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2008
111 Posts
singing servos

i'll try some adjustments tonight, loosening the surfaces by working them and sub trim..
I'm not worried about the servo anymore.

Thanks guys
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
Radian Pro DX8 Setup @Spektrum Community
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:29 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,008 Posts
Hey guys, I am wanting to get into the gliding market. I have been goofing off with my HK Mini swift and it has been a lot of fun. I own several UM planes and a couple of fp helicopters. I am very comfortable with ailerons and flying so that is not an issue for me. We dont have good sloping areas around here, where I fly at, we usually end up having 3-10mph winds so I have had to learn how to fly these little UM planes in wind and frankly they aren't really "fun" in the wind.

So I am looking at wanting a bigger plane and I want it to be a glider. I was at first looking at the radian but the pro came out and I am a big fan of ailerons, so i guess the question is, those that have had both, how would you compare the two? Second, which do you think would be better for the area I am flying in. Plenty of space for either one, Usually windy (3-10mph) and the wind does shift directions a lot.

Thanks!
DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
105 Posts
Has anyone set up the pro with the DX6i instructions successfully? I have checked and rechecked all the settings as detailed and still having an issue with Crow. Flaps work fine, but when I go to engage Crow one Aile deflects up and the other down.. like it was make a turn. So I ask has anyone had the setup as per the Horizon Hobby support page work? I have gone through the setup at least 5 times and have it set per the instructions and no luck with Crow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just as a reference all other surfaces move correctly. Thanks
v9climber is offline Find More Posts by v9climber