HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 04:28 AM
Joined Dec 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Garage plane storage: wheels to wall only options?

I'd like to build a rack in the garage for my dad, but they have some interesting considerations that preclude me from hanging off the ceiling or even like the rack I made for him at their other home which is wheels down/nose to wall. I copied one of the great designs here with a PVC structure and it's just awesome, but the planes stick out too far to use here.

Anyone have an idea for storing them 'wheels to the wall'? I was thinking about using a picture hanger and then some fishing line that he could slide the wheels into making a bit of a triangle? I'm certain someone here has a much better and easier system or idea. Thanks much for any nuggets!

Planes: T28, P51 and Delta Ray
1200agl is offline Find More Posts by 1200agl
Last edited by 1200agl; Jun 03, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
I use coat hangar wire to make hooks to go around nose gear on the trike landing gear as on the T 28 and Delta Ray. Hook it around the tail wheel on the P 51. If you have pegboard on the walls, bend the wire to fit in the holes. Panel board, just drill a hole for the wire to hook into. Hope this will give you some ideas.

Gord
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:46 AM
Joined Dec 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I use coat hangar wire to make hooks to go around nose gear on the trike landing gear as on the T 28 and Delta Ray. Hook it around the tail wheel on the P 51. If you have pegboard on the walls, bend the wire to fit in the holes. Panel board, just drill a hole for the wire to hook into. Hope this will give you some ideas.

Gord
Could I possibly impose on you to show a pic of how you bent the hangar please? Thanks in advance if you have one! Hadn't thought about peg board b/c that is an option!
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:49 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Went to take a pic of one I bent up to show you but the batt. in the camera is dead I'll charge it up and be back in about an hr.

Gord.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Dec 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Went to take a pic of one I bent up to show you but the batt. in the camera is dead I'll charge it up and be back in about an hr.

Gord.
Thank you!
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:11 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Sorry me and the batt charger are a little slow.
The upper hook goes into a hole in the wallboard or pegboard. The lower hook goes around the rear axle betenn the leg and the wheel. Hope this helps. My camera is one of those that uses two pencells and I got tire of replacing them. I cut into the wiring and cobbled up a single li-ion rechargeable cell. They'll have to change the meaning of the old world shoe cobblers to us newbies that cobble things together.

Gord.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 04:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
18 Posts
Thank you so much!

Question. The way I'm envisioning this is a separate hanger for each wheel. Let's say the T28....one for the right and one for the left?

Thanks again this is a much better idea than the ridiculous fishing line brain fart I had.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:06 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
What about hanging the T28 and the Deltra Ray by the nose wheel. ?
I'm sure many guys use the string setup with the hooks for the string made of wire, so it's not a bad idea, especially for smaller planes.

Gord.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 07:10 PM
Stevephoon
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined Oct 2008
126 Posts
I hang planes by a hook, but by an old torn up loop of a tee-shirt around the tail. Only the soft tee-shirt touches the plane. Works well with park sized planes.

Steve
slabuta is online now Find More Posts by slabuta