Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:45 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Question
11X to XG11 software update?

Has anyone that flies sailplanes done this?
If so, what were their findings? Is it worth it, does it have anything that you don't like?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/JR_1...are_Update.pdf
Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Target, I have heard that the upgrade is a nice deal. The only bummer is that you cannot reload your data from the original and must manually reload the data. I am going to a DX18 this year and I am not worrying about it cause I have to reload so to speak anyway.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:48 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Yeah I read that in the PDF also....
I guess what I need to do is post this in the Radios forum.
I was just hopeful that some other sailplane nerd had switched over from 11x to XG series, and could tell me what the upgrade has to offer, especially since you cannot go back without sending in the radio (!).

Thanks anyway, Marc.

R,
Target
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:00 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
663 Posts
Subscribed.
Let me know how you like it T
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:03 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
I'm not likely to change unless someone can tell me what the benefits are, and if there are any downsides.
I do have the second "brave" transmitter though! His name may be guinea pig!
I will let you know.

R,
T
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:05 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
Deleted
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:07 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Target, I have heard that the upgrade is a nice deal. The only bummer is that you cannot reload your data from the original and must manually reload the data. I am going to a DX18 this year and I am not worrying about it cause I have to reload so to speak anyway.

Marc
That is mostly not true. The XG11 software adds options but doesn't change much of the software as the 11X and XG11 share much the same programming. I've made the switch and most of my sailplane programming remains unchanged. That which cannot be translated is left un-programmed. A good example is the stick position switches. The XG11 stick position switch programming is very different from the 11X's. You might take a look at the post I made in the Radio forum. The stick position switches are all set to inhibit after the upgrade and you have to reprogram them.

One of the features that the XG11 programming adds is custom flight modes. I've always disliked that JR GLID programming initiates the break hold or delay upon entering a flight mode and not when leaving it. With the new programming, that can be changed by using the custom flight modes and the stick position switches. I've programmed my launch mode to break the launch hold and it goes to the normal (or cruise) automatically when the elevator stick is pushed forward of a given position. I hope this aids my zoom launch as I don't have to select the normal cruise mode while doing the launch but I can wait until after the zoom. Also the hold break (or delay) will no long occur when switching from thermal or reflex back to cruise. I don't know any way this could be programmed using the first version of 11X software.

Allan
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,527 Posts
Allan, thanks for the info. I guess I just do things much simpler than most, no stick switches, and I just throw switches. The only place I use a threshold is with snap flap and with small stab deflections, like the first 15% of throw has no TE deflection. Seems to work for me.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:14 AM
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
870 Posts
I really enjoy playing with the transmitter programming and seeing how far I can push it. But there are better pilots than I, who couldn't care less about it. Version two has features that are solutions looking for a problem. If a person is satisfied with version one, they should study the XG11 manual closely before deciding to make the switch. The added options add pages to a number of menus, making the menu system more verbose and a bit harder to navigate. I love version two but I can appreciate why other people won't.

It may be a month before the weather here turns good enough for me to try out the launch mode modification that I described. Its purpose is to ease the workload while on launch. So in that context, I'm also seeking to simplify.

Allan
Last edited by AWorrest; Mar 02, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:43 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer, Allan.
As usual, your posts on radio info are a wealth of info, and a true time saver.

I use the flap stick to turn on and off mixes that I do or don't want happening during landing approach, but other than that, half of what you are talking about is over my head for now. I would have to see it in action.

Thank you for your efforts, I think that for now I will stick with the standard 11X programming.

R,
Target
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
412 Posts
V tail channels

A question regarding channel assignment.
On V-tail set up is Ch.3 the right and Ch.4 the left tail. I cannot tell on the radio screen if the picture is looking at the model from in front or behind.
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Stefano,

Left tail ch. 3, right tail ch. 4. Look in subtrim menu and they are all in channel order.

T,

I have the xg11 and like the programming allot. A few cool sailplane features but don't have much time on the 11x to compare them. XG11 programming is slightly different than standard jr programming but nothing you can't pick up in a few min.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:49 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2 View Post
A question regarding channel assignment.
On V-tail set up is Ch.3 the right and Ch.4 the left tail. I cannot tell on the radio screen if the picture is looking at the model from in front or behind.
Stefano
As on a boat, on a plane the port side of the plane would have the left v-tail, the starboard side would have the right v-tail. Thats why they even made the terms port and starboard, I think!
Looking forward on the boat or plane, port is the left side. Looking aft Port is the right side (looking aft).

So, always assume left is looking from aft forward, on the left side.

Hope that helps you, Stefano.

R,
Target