HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:53 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I think I only have one.....this photo was taken lying on one elbow holding the camera over a large pile of boxes and shooting into the pitch black....

But now we are hijacking Mike's thread!
That is definitely one to finish and a super leccy / RC conversion subject!

I like being hi-jacked by all this fun stuff!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:28 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:
I think I only have one.....this photo was taken lying on one elbow holding the camera over a large pile of boxes and shooting into the pitch black....

But now we are hijacking Mike's thread!
Hang on to that one Colonel, you will definitely need it if the speculative "Finish a Project in 2013" comes off.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:53 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
The fuz is now complete with hatches and ready for pre-covering preparation. I'd appreciate some advice here. Is it a good idea to apply a light coat of dope to seal the sheet before fixing the polyester covering. Would Humbrol spray varnish which is cellulose based work. I'm in no hurry to start that before the rest of it is built.

I've cut out the ribs, 18 instead of 12, reducing the spacing from 3" to 2" and made up the tricky root rib sandwich that has the slot to locate on the fuz. The fixing method is rather unusual (well I've not seen it before) as it uses a rubber band through a paper tube in the fuz on hooks under the root rib. I realise that, in flight the struts help keep it all together but any manoeuvres that reverse load the wing or even a heavy landing (95% in my case) could pull the wing off the peg. I'm contemplating using the plastic outer tube from a pen instead of the paper and a suitable coil spring which would make it easier to find the correct tension - tight enough to hold it all together but not so tight it breaks something.

This is all stuff I've been contemplating while cutting shaping, filing and sanding ribs so please excuse it's disjointed and occasionally garbled nature.

PS. I can't find the CoG marked on the plan so that'll be another guess.

PPS. The fuz without battery weighs 10oz (280gm) Mr Woolls says the original, ready to fly, was 14oz (396gm) so I think she may end up a bit overweight but according to this
http://www.peakeff.com/GraphKIR.aspx...14+1600Kv+340w
my motor should produce over 600gm @ 17A on a 8 X 4.5 prop and 2 cells.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:13 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Whatever I was going to cover a model with I would always be inclined to use a coat or two of dope to first raise the grain and then some gentle rubbing down with fine abrasive paper over the sheeted areas, or indeed all the structure. I learnt the hard way a long time ago that a first class covering job over a second class surface looks c**p!

The wing fixing you describe is typical of many F/F scale models - they were intended to fly apart in a heavy landing (from observation and bitter experience most landings of F/F scale models ARE heavy!). In view of the fact that you expect to have some degree of control over the landing the spring sounds like a viable idea.

Sounds like you may end up in the 20-22 ounce region, 540-600 grams, so your 600 grams of thrust would represent a 1:1 ratio which should, to quote Rolls Royce, be "adequate". Of course the wing loading will be 1.5 times the original, so it'll fly faster.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:30 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
I'm hoping to keep it to the lower end of that, 18 to 20oz perhaps. A lot may depend if it needs ballast to obtain a sensible CoG as I've little chance of changing the battery location. Open frame tail feathers instead of solid balsa may help a bit. After all she only needs to fly around in a scale like manner and not too fast for my slowing reactions.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Subscribed, Looking forward to seeing that undercarriage assembly in action. Brian M.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:06 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Jiver View Post
Subscribed, Looking forward to seeing that undercarriage assembly in action. Brian M.
Hi Brian, That is something that has occupied my random musings since I first looked at the plan. The wire bending and soldering should be no problem but, ingenious as it is, GW's suspension strut involves a rubber band and rubber has not been my friend for many years ( a story never to be told) so I've been contemplating a more hi-tech and scale like solution.

As both my son and grandson construct and operate RC cars, my first thought was to find a suitable suspension strut from one of those devices but felt that this may be cheating. So, while Googling, I found myself clicking a retractable Biro (does anyone else still call them that?) Slowly, like an eco friendly light bulb, an idea formed. I was soon searching the cupboards and draws where writing implements hide and soon found myself with a small pile of assorted pens which quickly morphed into a larger pile of components for an EP-9 suspension strut. At this point came the raucous cry of 'DINNER' from Mrs M ensuing in a rapid re-assembly of writing tools followed by a delicious meal and my postprandial nap.

I've made no further progress since then but in due course construction and experimentation will proceed which will, at least, result in the destruction of several writing implements and at best a pair of scale-like, working struts.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:09 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Thanks to all the hints and tips from you nice people, the basic wing structure went together perfectly. The time and care taken to produce a perfect set of ribs paid off handsomely. It now begins to look like an aeroplane that might just fly. As the Colonel likes to say, 90% done, 90% to do.
Make that 98% to do, I'd forgotten about the struts and undercart.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
It's looking very smart Mixer. One question though - does it have a bit more dihedral than that once you fit the struts - I hope so.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:07 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
I am in awe - it's looking good, and you have obviously managed to interpret the plans enough to produce an airframe - good work, fella! It is already capturing the... er .... interesting looks of the original Keep going, Mike!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
[The Tiger Moth...] is definitely one to finish and a super leccy / RC conversion subject!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Hang on to that one Colonel, you will definitely need it if the speculative "Finish a Project in 2013" comes off.
I will state here that I will not be completing the Tiggy this year. There are actually several reasons for this but having dragged the plan out and studied it, the main factor is that I have concluded that being a very complex model, I feel that it is currently beyond my capabilities to do a good job with any guarantee of completion. Also, it would certainly take me far far longer than a 6 month build-off!! So if there is a "Finish a Project in 2013 Build Off", I will sit that out and probably make my (first) Tomboy and/or a Peter Rake design, or an electric RC KK Snipe, or the Fieseler Storch, or any of the other designs which keep rattling around in the echoing concert hall which constitutes my brain....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:15 AM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
It's looking very smart Mixer. One question though - does it have a bit more dihedral than that once you fit the struts - I hope so.
The plan allows for a variable dihedral, 3/8" at rest and 1 1/2" in flight. Perhaps not a good idea for an R/C model. So I've gone for a fixed 1 1/2" when the struts are fitted. I'll use a metal screwed clevis at one end of the strut, partly for ease of assembly at the field but also to give some adjustment if needed. I have built in the appropriate angle on the root rib but it does droop a bit when unsupported.
The extra ribs should help keep the profile when covered and I've added some small 1/32" webs to help with rigidity.
Last edited by mixer421; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: More info.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:19 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:
I will state here that I will not be completing the Tiggy this year. There are actually several reasons for this but having dragged the plan out and studied it, the main factor is that I have concluded that being a very complex model, I feel that it is currently beyond my capabilities to do a good job with any guarantee of completion. Also, it would certainly take me far far longer than a 6 month build-off!!
Fair enough Colonel, but from what I have seen so far I think you may be selling yourself short regarding ability - OK, not as quick as Billy Whizz or Speedy Gonzales, but then who is??!!. I reckon you are a quality builder, and as such complexity is just another challenge!!

Any way, the "Project Finishing" thing could easily run alongside a more conventional build off, I'll ask for suggestions nearer the time but one thing that crossed my mind (a short trip!!) was one for published or kitted designs of a specified group of quality designers - the usual Brit candidates such as Smeed, Smith, Dean, Hatfull, Malmstrom, Fearnley and Buffery plus an equal number to add international spice - Shereshaw, Goldberg, Taibi, Willard, Winter, Fillon and Cizek. The combined output of that lot should surely provide something for anyone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:12 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Nice progress mixer.

I had to smile when I read your musings about the biro, yes I still use the designers name too, as whenever one runs out I keep all the useful parts in my 'bits drawer'. I always thought the springs might be good for u/c. I use the empty refils for pushrod guide tubes and fairings through the fuselage.
Its coming on well, and i like the look of the plane too!

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:41 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Fair enough Colonel, but from what I have seen so far I think you may be selling yourself short....not as quick as Billy Whizz or Speedy Gonzales....complexity is just another challenge!
Very kind of you to say so, George - and I put my success so far down the help I have received here; before now I have only had my own brain to answer the myriad of minor questions that crop up! The whole interaction and proven experience of those in this corner has made these past nine months a real joy. This summer (assuming we get one), I even hope to make it to some Vintage meeting where I can fly with others, possibly even others from here.

Re the Tiggy, you have actually hit the issue on the head - I actually wouldn't mind building something a little more intricate, but the reality is that with my short 'modelling opportunity windows' it would likely be a project that would be too long for me to sustain the effort. One for retirement or when Young Pippa Blinkette trots off to finishing school, perchance. Until then, there are any number of alternatives to consider!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
I use the empty refils for pushrod guide tubes...
As it says on the decent-sized mug that Young Pippa Blinkette bought me for Christmas, along side a pic of Brains from Thunderbirds:
".....Of course! Now why didn't I think of that?"
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
Agricultural flyer
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
I put my success so far down the help I have received here; before now I have only had my own brain to answer the myriad of minor questions that crop up! The whole interaction and proven experience of those in this corner has made these past nine months a real joy
As usual, beautifully put Col and I can only echo those fine sentiments.