HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2013, 02:26 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Sorry to hear that you've been below par, Mike; but glad that you're on the mend again. Hope you manage to fling something skywards again soon. But no rush; your health is more important.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2013, 02:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Get well soon Mixer, I know the lack of mobility feeling, still you have done a great job on the build. KBO
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver
Old Jul 09, 2013, 03:43 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Hope you will soon be back in full flying field fettle so that the EP9 can take to the air Mike. I am confident it will be a success.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
The test flight was not a success. A glide test revealed a tendency to turn left which was ameliorated (Col likes big words ) by a bit of right trim. Then came disaster. On launching with about 1/3rd throttle, I accidentally knocked the throttle stick and before I could make any corrections, my lovely plane performed a half roll to the left and nose-dived into the only bare patch in the wheat. The good news is that there is no damage to the airframe or covering, just a broken motor shaft. The quick release on the wings worked perfectly.
Hopefully the motor will be OK and I'll refit it with a touch of right thrust.
There's no video as it was a spur of the moment decision to fly as conditions were perfect and I'd been resting my dodgy leg all day, soaking up the sunshine and partaking of cooling drinks.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Bad luck Mixer, still I'm sure you will soon fix the motor and have better luck next time after the thrust line adjustment.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Not so much bad luck as clumsiness and too many long cool drinks. That Crabbies ginger beer can take you unaware. ;-)
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:41 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Whoops!

Damnable bloody shame, what? But at least the damage sounds fairly easy to repair without large amounts of airframe work - presumably it's just nail another motor on the nose and you're ready to roll?

All power to you for admitting your own input to the unfortunate conclusion of it's maiden - perhaps the full size piloting adage of 'twelve hours bottle to throttle' is applicable here - you old p***head, you???

Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Man
Joined Jul 2012
266 Posts
Hello Mixer, Tough Luck and better Luck next time. How about planning for an early morning flight a la Colonel that way there is no time for cool drinks but maybe a celebratory pint after the sucessful flight, just a thought. We are all wishing you well. KBO..........
BTW your choice of an Edgar Percival machine takes me back to my time in industry when to get a warm feeling for the adequate strength of a component we would apply "The Edgar Percival strength test" this consisted of swinging my 16 stone from the item to be tested, picture, if you will, me gingerly hanging from the nose probe on the test ATP prior to first flight in August 86. It stood test and never fell off, c'est la vie.
Sky Jiver is offline Find More Posts by Sky Jiver