bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Hey guys just wondering if the hero 3 deals with jello better? Like does it do way better than the hero 2 or not really?
My tests show jello is still something you need to handle. it's nice to have 1080p with 60fps option. I would say that it's comparable to the jello on the H2 at 720p 60f, no worse or better.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
My tests show jello is still something you need to handle. it's nice to have 1080p with 60fps option. I would say that it's comparable to the jello on the H2 at 720p 60f, no worse or better.
Thanks for the on parison
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
790 Posts
I am very interested in the Hero 3 for aerial videos, and 3D! I am curious if I buy 2 of these if the 3D accessory from the Hero 1 &2 will work on the 3?

If not, the included remote can it control 2 at a time? Then I can throw them together and record at once and throw the videos together to make 3D. If it can record and stop at the same time for both cams that would be great.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I'd like to try that, but Windows7 doesn't give me the option of formatting in Fat32. I get NTFS and exFAT as my only two choices. I've formatted it in both Hero3 and Hero2 cameras, and they both leave it exFAT. I wonder if these SanDisk 64gig SDXC cards can only be formatted exFAT for some reason?

Of course I weighed all of those limitations when making the purchase. At the time none of them were significant enough to outweigh the advantages of the iPad. The retina display makes it a fantastic demo machine, and the battery life means I can be out all day without running out of juice, I didn't feel the need to play video directly from the cards because that's too laggy in HD anyway. Copying the files to the iPad was an easy way to backup the flight data when hiking in the mountains away from my truck & laptop. At the time, the cameras didn't use microSD, so it was a non-factor. And I have a lot of iPad apps that I love and rely on.

But if the Hero3 cards can't be formatted in FAT, that changes everything. I find FPV significantly more enjoyable if I can immediately review my footage, and even do quick-edits on a tablet. There's no going back once you have a Hero3, despite it's quirks. The video blows everything else away.

So it looks like I may suddenly find myself in the market for different tablet.

And now we have another contender with the "surface" tablets. Competition is great! It makes buying decisions more challenging though.

Has anybody actually tried flying from the USB video out while filming in 2.7k? I read somewhere that it's too laggy to fly. If that's wrong, I'd like to know, because I'd like to use a camera switch to toggle between the Hero and my Pixim.
Click Start, type cmd <enter>, type format x: /fs:fat32 <enter>

where x is the drive letter of the sd card

I'm always amused how the "retina display" is so cool though other tablets have HD displays which is higher resolution. Apple's marketing is genius!

In the process of returning a Hero 3 Black because it locks up ALL the time.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
In the process of returning a Hero 3 Black because it locks up ALL the time.
Latest firmware? Regular or Protune mode?

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
I am very interested in the Hero 3 for aerial videos, and 3D! I am curious if I buy 2 of these if the 3D accessory from the Hero 1 &2 will work on the 3?

If not, the included remote can it control 2 at a time? Then I can throw them together and record at once and throw the videos together to make 3D. If it can record and stop at the same time for both cams that would be great.
I talked directly to GoPro about 3D on the new cameras and the existing sync cable (and case) does not work with H3. Some people have been shooting 3D using wifi to sync the cameras and report good results although you will have to manually sync the first frame as one movie will be longer than the other by a few frames. The sub frame sync though is said to be good once you have the start frame paired up correctly.

3D capability should be officially supported in the first half of next year I heard. Until then I decided to cancel my H3 order and instead got a pair of H2 off eBay for around $150 each. They work great in 3D already ( protunes software has been unreliable in 3D)

Phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Slowing 15fps down to 10.5fps makes it pretty choppy.
it will not be choppy if you adjust meta data and not add a slow motion effect.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Latest firmware? Regular or Protune mode?

ian
There were no updates on the website for it, so it had the latest. However ios and android streaming apps did not work. There is a December promise of a firmware fix. I had it in both modes and it would lock up. Screen would go dark and and just beep at me. Only way to fix was a battery pull and it was fully charged. Really didn't get to use it because it was so flaky in the first hour of use. If it doesn't work properly at my desk then it is hopeless. I know bad equipment when I see it. I've been shooting HD underwater for about six years so I'm pretty good at stressing equipment.
Kri Island Teaser (8 min 42 sec)
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:48 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
Quote:
There were no updates on the website for it, so it had the latest. However ios and android streaming apps did not work. There is a December promise of a firmware fix. I had it in both modes and it would lock up. Screen would go dark and and just beep at me. Only way to fix was a battery pull and it was fully charged. Really didn't get to use it because it was so flaky in the first hour of use. If it doesn't work properly at my desk then it is hopeless. I know bad equipment when I see it. I've been shooting HD underwater for about six years so I'm pretty good at stressing equipment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Umvj...&feature=g-upl
You can spot bad product but can't plug it in and make the firmware upgrade ?

let me get the rolleye back to you lol

Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
You can spot bad product but can't plug it in and make the firmware upgrade ?

let me get the rolleye back to you lol

Let me be a bit more specific. The GoPro website initialized a Java applet in my browser's JRE which accessed the camera via it's usb connection. The plug in found no updates for the Hero 3 Black Edition I plugged in. If there is another way to plug it in and update, I guess I didn't take the time to look.

If you are aware of an update for the BLACK edition, please let me know; especially one that takes if from a $400 brick to a reliable device.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Let me be a bit more specific. The GoPro website initialized a Java applet in my browser's JRE which accessed the camera via it's usb connection. The plug in found no updates for the Hero 3 Black Edition I plugged in. If there is another way to plug it in and update, I guess I didn't take the time to look.

If you are aware of an update for the BLACK edition, please let me know; especially one that takes if from a $400 brick to a reliable device.
read on this thread Deamon has updated his firmware and the problems are almost all gone
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,253 Posts
Quote:
No, you did it correctly. Generally speaking, I've found that with the latest firmware,
the regular modes are pretty stable (enough to use daily without much fuss). Protune mode
is pretty flaky especially while working through the menus (locks up often for me), but once I
finally get it set the way I need it, it's reliable enough actually recording. I've been shooting
vids with it every day or two.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:48 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
I would like to buy a GoPro hero 3 camera BLACK EDITION for to record FPV flight. But my father wants the GoPro3 to take underwater pictures. So maybe, please, some of you can send me an e-mail with a photograph taken with this camera at full risolution ? So I can show it to my father ...

let me know... thanks
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:57 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,253 Posts
Any full res photo someone takes out of the water, isn't going to be
all that meaningful to your father.
RCG Plus Member