HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:51 PM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
Discussion
which heli next?

i work at modelzone in the uk and im flying all the regular 3 channels every day and can do everything possible with them, i tried a 4 channel to other day (blade mcx) and found that pretty easy after a few mins and could see myself maxing that out pretty quick. what would you recommend next?
chris_wade is offline Find More Posts by chris_wade
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:53 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Try the msr!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
whats different with that to the mcx? we have the 120 sr in our shop?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:58 PM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
just looked at some vids of it . looks very quick. where as the mcx was very sluggish forward motion. looks like the 120sr but smaller
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:29 PM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
???
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
actually, the msr came out first so it should be said that the 120sr is just a big version of the msr (semantics I know). Either would be a good next step and only depends on how much space you have, the 120sr needs more space to do anything more than just hovering.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
the msr looks real nice but id like to get upto some speed and have a pretty long garden and seeing as we have the 120 sr in stock i might well go for that one thank you
Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_wade View Post
the msr looks real nice but id like to get upto some speed and have a pretty long garden and seeing as we have the 120 sr in stock i might well go for that one thank you
Be careful - speed with the mSR is plenty for a long garden. It's faster than you might think, and the 120 is faster still. It takes skill to fly slow, although the effect is reduced with FP.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:02 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I like the msr cause you can fly it anywhere and it's so small you can take it with you easily. Once you modify it, it is extremely quick and does great outdoors as well. I love doing flips, rolls and loops at the field with it, it always attracts attention, bublehead is trying to flip the sr120 but hasn't been able to do it yet where he is doing a double set of double flips with the msr.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:26 AM
MODELZONE!!!
Leicester UK
Joined Jul 2008
155 Posts
hmmmm now im confused which to buy, damn you :P. ill see if my shop can get the msr in because i want discount of course . but thanks for all the help guys
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,369 Posts
In stock form, the SR120 is a better flying heli than the MSR. The MSR has some very annoying pendulum effects and handles no wind.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The msr does need some modding, as stated by slo-fly, to get it to fly the way he is saying. The stock msr does not fly, nor handle as much wind, as the 120.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
With a swash and a flybar upgrade I can fly in almost any wind. Here's my wind surfing vid!
BLADE MSR in crazy heavy monsoon wind (1 min 18 sec)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:22 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
With a swash and a flybar upgrade I can fly in almost any wind. Here's my wind surfing vid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmrZjpisNCE
which only proves that YOU can do it... not the OP. This is his second heli after a 3ch toy... regardless of the upgrades he's not going to be "wind surfing" with a msr.

It's my 7th year flying helis but I can't fly like szabo or youngblood...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I was in the same shoes as the op a few months ago. I have never flown a heli before except for the micro mosquito and purchased the msr. It was tough for me at first, but 3 months into it I really got the hang of it. Flying in the wind and doing flips and loops is easier than you would think, I showed bublehead how to do the flip and he picked it up right away, he flys in the wind very well too. It seems hard but after you do it once it's easy! I was just demonstrating that the msr can fly in heavy wind.