HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:15 PM
United States, CA, Marin County
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Here is one example, just add to it the height you need. Make sure to screw and glue it in. -Tyler

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4038609
That's perfect. I think that adding even an inch to the prop could make a pretty big difference. I'm not worried nearly as much about pitch speed as static thrust.

Thanks,

Taft
wtl0715 is offline Find More Posts by wtl0715
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:33 PM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
That's perfect. I think that adding even an inch to the prop could make a pretty big difference. I'm not worried nearly as much about pitch speed as static thrust.

Thanks,

Taft
hey Taft! SW may be going up for maiden voyage tonight. have the eagle all hooked up but just a 540 cam on it for now. First flight isnt going to be FPV but WILL be recorded... if ya hear anything about a burning pile of styrofoam in Wk Forest you know what happned!!!
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbrandon View Post
hey Taft! SW may be going up for maiden voyage tonight. have the eagle all hooked up but just a 540 cam on it for now. First flight isnt going to be FPV but WILL be recorded... if ya hear anything about a burning pile of styrofoam in Wk Forest you know what happned!!!
Brandon,

I think it will go off without a hitch. Good luck and happy flying. Can't wait to see the video!

BTW, did you have any trouble hooking up the ET OSD? It looks super simple, but I've been fooled before.

-Taft
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:36 PM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,663 Posts
I fly an 11in prop so I know you can fit it on the stock mount but there needs to be some minor adjustments.

1. shave the mount flat and attach a ply firewall
2. do a 3 screw mount where the 4th unused screw hole is just slightly above the pod (cut off since it isn't being used) and the two on either side are up as far as you can go...obviously the 3rd used screw hole is at the bottom
3. shave away some foam from the boom, under the prop
4. if the pod isn't angled up enough, put a washer under the bottom mount screw hole so you get the tilt up you need.

Flies great this way

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdw View Post
What size prop are you planning to run on 4S?
The prop data charts for the Scorpion 830 kV motor indicates running up to a 11 inch prop. This will require a modified motor mount to fit the prop. Running smaller props may work but you may not get all the thrust you want/need.
Alternatively look at the 1040 kV motor. Prop size comes down to 10" or possibly 9".
The Scorpion ESC, although good, is not needed.
The TGY ESCs will work just fine and is a popular choice for the SW.
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:52 PM
B to the O to the B
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2009
75 Posts
I'd figure I'd show off the start of my paint job on my Skywalker. Here is a picture of the top of the tail. I'm using krylon fusion and some mixwax polycrylic clear coat on top (not on in the picture yet).

However, I tried out some more EPO foam and let it dry with the clear coat and tried to pull it off (with tape and fingers) and it came off pretty easily. This is making me think it's not sticking as well as some paints could.

Edit: sorry the quality is horrible, it was taken with the webcam on my mac O_o

Ecibob is offline Find More Posts by Ecibob
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:56 PM
United States, NC, Wake Forest
Joined May 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl0715 View Post
Brandon,

I think it will go off without a hitch. Good luck and happy flying. Can't wait to see the video!

BTW, did you have any trouble hooking up the ET OSD? It looks super simple, but I've been fooled before.

-Taft
Wife in the area grounded all flights. I mean weather... oh well

Eagle stuff goes together simple. only thing to worry about is reversing the wires but thats really it. I plugged the logger and osd together on the kitchen table and plugged into the laptop. It loaded the latest updates all by itself and its really user friendly... Just need to play around with the actual OSD layout to see what makes the most sense...

I can send you some pics on the layout I did inside the SW...
mustangbrandon is offline Find More Posts by mustangbrandon
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
Brandon,

Thanks for the update. I'll get in touch tomorrow and let you know. I doubt I'll have any issues with layout as my fuse is empty except for batteries. If I run into any issues, I'll probably want to see those pics though. Good luck getting your maiden out of the way. I can't wait to see your video.

-Taft
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:34 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecibob View Post
I'd figure I'd show off the start of my paint job on my Skywalker. Here is a picture of the top of the tail. I'm using krylon fusion and some mixwax polycrylic clear coat on top (not on in the picture yet).

However, I tried out some more EPO foam and let it dry with the clear coat and tried to pull it off (with tape and fingers) and it came off pretty easily. This is making me think it's not sticking as well as some paints could.
Have you tried cleaning the EPO before painting to remove the mold release agent?
You may also do what the wing guys are doing. Spray 3M 90 or Loctite 200 Spray Adhesive on the foam and let it dry. Then paint over the spray adhesive.
henkvdw is offline Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by henkvdw; Jun 08, 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: 3M 90
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
B to the O to the B
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Jun 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdw View Post
Have you tried cleaning the EPO before painting to remove the mold release agent?
You may also do what the wing guys are doing. Spray 3M 99 or Loctite 200 Spray Adhesive on the foam and let it dry. Then paint over the spray adhesive.
would this be the stuff? (and would the 3M 90 work?) http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I'm going to try that on the next portion. Thanks for the tip.
Ecibob is offline Find More Posts by Ecibob
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2009
805 Posts
I found that 200 worked better for holding paint than 99, but the 200 stays sticky for a long time - maybe indefinitely. If you use the 99 as a primer, plan on waiting at least a few days. I would plan to give it a week to allow it to dry properly. The only reason this may be an issues is because you likely won't be covering it after it's painted. This won't risk anything structurally, but it might screw up the paint if you hit or scrape the surface on anything.

-Taft
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined May 2011
3 Posts
is there a model of the skywalker for Aerofly simulator?
Gjango is offline Find More Posts by Gjango
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:23 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,627 Posts
Yeah, just painted mine and then paint comes right off

Anything I could spray over it? Maybe like a gloss finish or something that would make it work better? One flight and the paint job looks bad
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
Yeah, just painted mine and then paint comes right off

Anything I could spray over it? Maybe like a gloss finish or something that would make it work better? One flight and the paint job looks bad
Typical for this type of foam. I wipe mine down with denatured alcohol first to (help) remove any mold release agent then paint. The longer you let the paint 'cure' the better. Trying to mask over a painted area will be rewarded with paint lifting off when you removing the mask tape. I did find after a long time on the plane the paint seems to stay better. I have a MPX Twinstar that I painted some 3+ years ago and the paint is hanging on just fine. FWIW, I normally use several light coats of Rustoleum paint. It does take a while to cure and will 'off-gas' for days (weeks) so you can't just leave it inside the house...unless you like a stinky house. Leaving in the sun to 'bake' on helps too.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:32 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Did anyone tried monocote or whatever its called , you apply with hot iron?
I have all my (most) wings covered with it and it adds strength too.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Jun 08, 2011, 09:39 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
The problem with monocote or other iron-on coverings is that the foam tends to reexpand and bulge up. It ruins the nice look of the plane underneath. You'd have to play with it to find the temperature that will apply the covering, yet not overheat the foam.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40