Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:47 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Live Wire: Build and Fly

Greetings,
Welp yet another impulse buy, but this one went right to work bench. A very complete kit, both in hardware and instructions.
Oh, I could detail the fuse and paint it, make multiple mods and really trick it out over a few weeks, but I chose to do quick and stock build. This way it should be in the air on Friday. I got my CM built so I cannot compair buiding. This fuse is solid foam and with simple mods will accept BL motors. An odd combo if you look at it.
CM type of wing. Pattern fuse. 3D controls surfaces and a high ratio/ slowfly gearbox. I used this gearbox mod on my CM and prefered it over the stock ratio. We will see tomorrow how this work, weather permitting

Kit Pics

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:52 AM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Buiding pics

Simple and quick joiner mod. The kit comes with no joiner and the foam spars were not glued very well. So a little glue down all the spars and when dried, 1/8"x4 1/2" balsa spars to make me feel better. Only mod so far.

Spar pic

Jared
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Progressing

The most time I have spent on this is mounting the wing. It is not as simple as cutting the bottom of the fuse off, gluing in the wing and reattaching it. A lot of fitting and sanding was required to get it right. The anti-flex ruler is there to keep the top of the fuse from flexing during assemble, as noted in the intructions. Do not forget this, I almost did and when I did a final check berfore gluing, I found that pressing the fuse on can warp the fuse a little.
A large piece of tri-stock or anything else that will remain straight can be used. The ruler is taped on. A quick scuff and a single coat of water based poly to help prevent smudges.
Welp, on to the tail.

Mounted Pic

Jard
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:10 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Dude

That is one nice plane

(Not another one on my list !)

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:15 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Jared,

Do you plane to round the leading edge at all, it seems very blunt from your pics.
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Thanks Josh. Oh come on, just one more! lol

Buzz, nope, the heatshrink covering was already pretty snug. I did not want to blow it by trying to remove it and rounding the LE.
It is so thin behind the LE that with or without sanding it, a sub leading edge may prove to be a good thing. I am sure that lots of cool mods will come about in the following months.

Jared
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:41 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Thanks Jared,

Looking forward to a flight report so I will know which mods to include when mine shows up
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:11 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Keep em' coming Jared, I'm interested in this plane also.

Thanks
Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Welp,

Landing gear on. Tail group all finished. Pretty straight forward, just pay attention to keeping everything aligned. I like the pin hinges, they make a nice transition from the 3/4" fuse to the 1/8" rudder. Notice the nice included stearable tail wheel. This will come in real handy as an landing arrester at the grass field that I fly at. lol.
After it comes off from the grass landings, I may replace it with the new Dubro tail skid.

Tail group.

Jared
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:50 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Looking good Jared,

Quick Q. Did you cut a slot to insert the stab. or remove one of the elevators and slide it in from the side?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 02:12 PM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Welp Buzz,
I cut a slot in the fin as instructed. It is said to save the piece and put it back in after the stab is mounted. I found it was too small after sanding the opening to level the stab, so I just grabed some styro scrap and made a new piece.
A little more progress. No real problems so far.
This is it for several hours. Lunch, Dr. appt, errands and honey dews. I will complete this before next sunup, mostly.

More pics.

Jared

"In my minds eye, I see a glass mold being made, somewhere else."
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 02:22 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Jared,

YO! U Da man. Bra!!! I like it, I think it's really sweet. keep it comming and flow more info. as well, as flight report..

I give that plane a <---because I don't have one yet

geonvai
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Feb 13, 2003, 02:56 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
That's pretty cool looking... hmmmm.... Hacker....hmmm.

Couple of questions.
1.It looks like that foam fuse is pretty thin around the wing saddle area. Does it look strong enough?

2. 2 aileron servos right?

3. Battery space? Big enough for at least 8 cell 1100 Hecells?

FWIW the Crazy Max wing proved to be plenty strong without any additional beefing at a weight of around 14 oz or so. Let us know how it goes

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Hi Scott,

Yup, Astro, er, I mean Hacker could work.

It is a solid foam fuse, so once everything is rejoined, it seems strong enough.

2 aileron servos, yup.

Stock battery space is just enough for the 800ma nihms. Of course a little foam carving may work, but at a cost of a slightly weaker fuse. Another mod for someone in the works.

I have not weighed in yet, I am not gona till its done, but I am expected at least 17-18 ozs. My money is on 20ozs.

Later, Jared
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:18 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Where do the bateries go under the wing? Or in the cockpit?? Yes Scott a brushless is a deffinate not sure yet which one but I plan to buy it soon as I get an idea of the auw and battery space 24 hours of O.T. the last two weeks so I gots the cash just needs the plane to see how much power I can cram into it