HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:39 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,448 Posts
Question
Walbro WT231A Question

The plastic fuel connector on my Walbro carb points to the front. I need to point it to the rear. Can this be done without breaking the barb ?
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 03:21 PM
United States, KS, Arkansas City
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
Grip it with a pair of pliers at the elbow and twist it around "Gently"
johnfly1234 is offline Find More Posts by johnfly1234
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:11 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,448 Posts
I'll wait just a few posts to be sure but yes, that's what it looks like.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,510 Posts
I am not sure that is a good idea. The plastic fuel fitting is a light press fit in and may not do well when one tries to turn it. Some of the fittings had a brass shank that was pressed in and others are all plastic, plus they may have used a Locktite adhesive on it as well, but the adhesive isn't very strong. There is a chance that it will break or will start to leak on you. I would suggest having a spare fuel fitting on hand before you try messing around with it.

The old method for removing them was when they are broken. Then you use a special puller tool to pull and press in the fuel fitting. They used a special screw to grip the remains and pull them out using the puller. One could make the tool easily enough though, it doesn't have to be as fancy looking as the special tool.

What I did in the past on some carburetors was to thread the inside of the brass fitting remnants with a 1/4-20 bottoming tap, but not all the way down to prevent damaging the carb. Then using a long 1/4x20 screw, a washer or two, a spacer and a nut, I would thread in the screw into the fitting, then hold the screw still and turn the nut to pull the fitting out. Depending on the fitting size you may need to go with a smaller screw size too.

Putting the new fitting could be tricky in some cases, but with a Walbro carb, I would position the fitting and press it in gently using a Arbor press. You might need to make up a fixture to avoid damaging things when you do it. One can use a piece of scrap 2x4 wood for it and dremel out some voids to fit the carburetor, so as to not damage the protruding bits and pieces. A large vice may work fine for this too. A C-clamp might work too, but I never tried it.

The fitting usually has a brass base with a knurled head and the plastic part is molded onto it, so if you tried to turn it, then it will likely just crack or break off.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1343839140
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 05, 2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add more info
Old Jul 06, 2014, 12:19 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,448 Posts
Well then my best easy way out would be to make a brass tube 180 bend, make a coupler with a stiff type of gas line tubing, couple the carb barb to the 180 with the stiff tubing, then run the Tygon from the 180 to the tank. I have some brownish colored fuel line that I can trust to make a more reliable coupler, but will probably need to replace it every few years before it gets brittle.
I want the coupler to be stiff so the 180 doesn't flop around by engine vibes.

The Tygon, I really don't trust to make connections, unless I could make or buy a crimp tool to crimp an aluminum band over the Tygon-Barb connection.
Maybe the bunny rabbit clamps would be reliable, I'll have to get some and try them on Tygon.
I really don't like the cable ties on Tygon since I do not have the cable tie tensioner tool.

Thanks

Yea, at a glance it looks like DuBro 677 clamps would be ok on Tygon, but I will need to ake sure 3/32 is the correct size.
OR I could simply use the stiff tubing to make the 180 straight from the carb and use a simple coupling barb. I may do that if I can find a screw on the carb to bolt an anti-vibes brace to the 180 fuel line bend and coupler.

Plastic tubes and pots and pans will make it, weird science !
Last edited by Chophop; Jul 06, 2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:12 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,448 Posts
I worked up a way to remove the fuel inlet in 5 seconds with little damage. I made a how to do it thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201893