Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Discussion
New guy needs help! New Boat build

Hi fellas,

So I'm new to the hobby and I have kinda inherited an RC Boat that is in need of assembly. My dad bought this hull and a number of parts to construct this boat. From what I can see most of what I need has all been given to me.

Im in need of assistance for where to begin. Im gonna attach pictures of all the stuff i have and perhaps you guys could give me some insight on what I should do first, and what i need to buy( if anything).

I know most of this stuff is quite old and might not be worth using, but like I said, Im a complete rookie and need all the help i can get, so don't be afraid to dumb it down for me( a lot)!

Im super excited about this new project, can't wait to hear back
CanadianBoater is offline Find More Posts by CanadianBoater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Picco .67 are good engines but a bit small for the AC Flash Cat 40. The Futaba Attack is on an airplane frequency(72.130 Mhz)and being AM not really recommended! Would make sense to use a Zenoah instead for power (no need for starter equipment and expensive high Nitro % fuel)and a modern radio (FM or 2.4 Ghz).
http://www3.telus.net/acboats/cats.html#Flash%20cat
AC Model Boats R42 with M&D Cast (4 min 19 sec)
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 24, 2013, 07:59 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Besides the hull oddly enough, the most valuable parts here are the connecting rods! Dad was smart enough to get extras of those.
The radio system even if it works is obsolete as it's no longer FCC legal. The age of the unit really shows by the servo connectors, I haven't seen those used in around 30 years.
If the Picco's can still run, great!
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 12, 2013, 09:28 AM
United States, SC
Joined Oct 2013
434 Posts
Wow this is a old one but doable
I'd upgrade radio and I'd run a Zenoah 29 from gizmo.
Hardware would work in correct location
Good luck
bajacrazy509 is offline Find More Posts by bajacrazy509
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:52 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
The hull might be a bit much for that Cat but Picco engines can be tricky as they used the same case for the .80's as they used for the .67's so outward looks can be deceiving. You might want to pull off the heads to see if the pistons are different in size.
Ron Olson is online now Find More Posts by Ron Olson