HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, SC, Walhalla
Joined Apr 2009
113 Posts
Build Log
SlowBoat foamy seaplane with plans & video

Here are plans, construction article, and videos of a foamy seaplane I designed last year and have put numerous flights on since. I have been very pleased with both the flying and water handling characteristics, and the guys who have seen it fly at the Electric ‘Nall and HHAEF have said good things about it. The model is adept at slow flight, has some 3D capabilities, and can be flown in quite restricted areas. A favorite trick is to fly slow figure 8's while dragging a wingtip in the water. It will take off in about 1 plane length from either water or grass. Though the thrust ratio is considerably more than 1:1, the high thrust line does not produce any noticeable throttle-induced pitch changes. It’s built of 6mm Depron.

The design is reflective of the Taylor Coot and the Seabee, with some construction ideas borrowed from the Polaris. There is also a strong resemblance to the Mermaid in this forum, but I was unaware of either the prototype or the model Mermaid until a few days ago.

The specs are:

Wing Span: 39 in.
Wing Area: 383 sq. in.
Flying Weight: 15 oz.
Motor: Himax HC2812-0850, 150W
Battery: Thunder Power 1350mA 3S LiPo
Prop: APC 10 x 4.7 SF
Servos: 4 Futaba S3114
Speed Control: Castle Thunderbird 18
BEC: Dimension Engineering ParkBEC 1.25A
Receiver: Orange RX 8 chan (Futaba FASST compatible)

See the files below for free plans and a construction article.

Here are a couple of excellent videos by Austinaeronautics2 of a plane he built from the plans. Edit 11/14/13: The third video was made by the same videographer of me flying at the 2013 eWeek at Triple Tree Aerodrome.

SlowBoat at the Lake video:
SlowBoat at the lake (3 min 33 sec)

Showboating the SlowBoat video:
Showboating the SlowBoat (5 min 8 sec)

Extreme R/C float flying video:
Extreme R/C float flying (2 min 8 sec)

Edit 7/4/13 & 10/4/13:
Part dimensions are given in the plans and construction article, and I cut my foam directly from the measurements. If you would prefer to work from a full size drawing, I suggest you print the cut pattern page of the drawing at 5X size. Either take this to Staples or let your printer software tile it (my printer does this if I select "500%" and "Poster" in the print options). After you have taped it together, spot check the dimensions against the original plans and make sure they match; it will be a lot easier to fix in paper than in foam. Some guys make templates of poster board and trace onto the foam.

Edit 10/4/13 & 1/19/14:
Now you can skip the foam cutting step altogether and let Hoosier Cutout Service do the hard part. Go to http://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/ for more info.

Edit 11/14/13:
I built another SlowBoat using what I learned from the first one and from the posts here. My updates and a few construction photos are given in Post#303 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=303

Edit 1/19/14:
The files now reside here at RCGroups.

Scott
scott swanson is online now Find More Posts by scott swanson
Last edited by scott swanson; Jan 19, 2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Files now reside here at RCGroups.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:23 PM
Crazy Foamie Builder
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jan 2010
910 Posts
very cool...may have to build one!
JettaManDan is offline Find More Posts by JettaManDan
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:41 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,791 Posts
Very nice! Good flier...

Dave
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:56 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
That is a very nice flying plane. I really think I need to build one soon. Thanks for sharing.
Russ40 is offline Find More Posts by Russ40
Old Apr 03, 2013, 07:46 PM
Joined Apr 2009
113 Posts
Dan, Dave, and Russ,

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Keep me in the loop if you build one.

Hey, I've just doubled my number of posts in RCGroups. How many of you can do that with one post?

Thanks,
Scott
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:25 PM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,054 Posts
either my PC is goofy or I'm reading this right. You joined RCG 4 years ago and this is your FIRST post with a follow up second in the same thread Amazing enough in and of itself.

That said- your slowboat is certainly a well behaved plane on land, sea and air. maybe SEAL 1 would be a nickname for it.

Great series of touch and goes.

Steve
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:03 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,187 Posts
Nice job!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Nice plane. Thanks for sharing.
dd10986 is offline Find More Posts by dd10986
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:54 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Got the parts cut out. I will start on building in a couple of days. Thanks for the great plans and build guide Scott.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2009
113 Posts
Russ,

I'm excited to have someone else build my design. It looks like you have already done the hard part.

A few questions:
1) What type of foam are you using?
2) It looks like the ailerons are still attached to the wings. Is this some super building technique I am unaware of, or just procrastination on your part?
3) Do you have to use a special T-square to get accurate layout using the round table edge?

Scott
Old Apr 07, 2013, 01:59 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Berwick,Victoria,Australia
Joined Dec 2008
221 Posts
Hi Scott I saw your video of the slowboat and thought that will be great at my local lake, I have redrawn it up in sketchup for my cnc router and have started cutting it out ,I had to cut the fuselage in half to fit it on the router though cheers Scott.
scottyvisco is offline Find More Posts by scottyvisco
Old Apr 07, 2013, 08:47 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Scott...I use a speed square and yardstick mostly for layout. I am using fanfold foam on my build. I didn't cut the ailerons off yet. just finished the cut out and wanted to get a pic befor I had to get back in from the shop. Hopefully I will get more work on it tomorrow. It looks like it will go together fairly quick. Thanks for the good design.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:04 PM
Leesburg, Florida
Joined Oct 2006
274 Posts
Was looking for something different to build. Saw your slowboat and decided it was just the ticket.

I am out of the good stuff, so I am building this one from FFF using two sheets.

I too have a CNC machine, so I worked it up in Sketchup and cut it out. Attached is my Sketchup File for those who have CNC machines.

I added a panel for the servos (not in sketchup yet) and started the build a couple days ago. It is coming along nicely.

Here are pics so far. Will update progress when there is more to show.
flashsolutions is offline Find More Posts by flashsolutions
Last edited by flashsolutions; Apr 10, 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add sketchup file
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
Got it done. It is windy now so no maiden yet. Mine came out at 14.7oz. I am running an E-Max 2822-1200 motor with a 9x3.8 apc prop and a 20amp HK esc. It balances with a 1000ma 3s lipo in the nose.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
Fort Smith Ar
Joined Oct 2005
921 Posts
The wind finally laid down right at dusk so I gave it a maiden in the low light. It flies GREAT!!! I didn't get to do much because it was hard to see but I did get a few loops and rolls in. It took off at just under half throttle and just slowly cruised around at 1/4 throttle. Unlimited vertical at just under 3/4 throttle. I can't wait to get another flight in. I will get a video on the next flight. Thanks for the awesome plane design Scott.