Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ktm500mx, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:57 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
109 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Wanted
wanted bob sterne venom

wanted bob sterne venom in good shape.
let me know what you have?
thx Mike
ktm500mx is offline Find More Posts by ktm500mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
Hope you have better luck than I did with same ad! Nice boats - if you can find one for sale.

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Jul 2008
109 Posts
there is a rumor that someone has bought the molds from Mr. Sterne and will be producing the boats soon.
but that being said I would like an original one. I have 5 club members where I am at that have some that they don't use but will
not sell them so the search continues.
Last edited by ktm500mx; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:24 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
I talked to Will Leash owner of Tippecanoe Boats and he told me in early Jan. that he visited Bob Sterne in BC and brought the rights and molds to build the Venom and hope to start selling them early this summer so its no rumor that the Venom will be back.. I know what you mean about people having a Venom and not sailing them often but will not sell them
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:58 PM
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
It took me 18 months to find this last one. Just keep looking, and save up your $s. Fox
foxwyck is online now Find More Posts by foxwyck
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:01 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,091 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
I spoke with Will yesterday on another matter and he said he is on-track for selling Venom's from the original molds by this summer. He is still doing some testing to work the bugs out of producing the various parts. Price and levels of completion (hull only, partial kit, full kit) TBD.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2008
109 Posts
thx foam crusher can you keep posting here about the progress by Tippecanoe.
thx Mike
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
Sweet ! Hope to get in line quickly for one in Carbon ?

Clay
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:52 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,091 Posts
When Will is ready to start taking orders I am sure he will post here on RCG. I just hope he is ready for the tsunami of orders that I think will follow

Clay, I could be wrong, but don't think Will is going to make them in CF.

Two reasons. First is the cost. The lightest 1K carbon cloth available right now is $30 a running foot at 42" wide (price is less the more you buy, but still steep) and it takes about 8 feet to do one hull, depending upon the layup schedule. The same amount of Kevlar, which is what Sternes used, is about 1/3 that cost and the Kevlar drops more than the CF as you purchase longer lengths. The reason for the high cost is that the aerospace industry is sucking up all the 3K cloth the factories world-wide can produce and 1K takes more time to make than 3K so there is no incentive to make 1K. I read the other day that there is NO 1K production scheduled for all of 2013.

In addition, CF needs to be used with epoxy since CF is brittle. Epoxy is also more expensive and more difficult to work with than vinylester resin which is what is used with Kevlar.

The second reason is the weight. The lightest 1K cloth available is 3.74 oz/yd^2. While CF is stiffer than Kevlar, one layer is still not stiff enough to make a hull - I know I tried it. Generally, more layers of lighter material is stiffer than a single heavier layer. Kevlar is available at 1.7 oz/yd^2 and two layers (with additional reinforcing patches) is what Sternes used, so you know it works. I read that Bob used 2.2 oz Kevlar and the 1.7 oz fabric would be even lighter and can have a different layup schedule that is just as stiff but lighter. The downside to Kevlar is that it is difficult to wet out completely and if not done carefully can result in voids that are difficult to patch.

Will was still experimenting with fabrication and I think he is leaning toward resin infusion rather than the hand layup Bob used to speed production. Infusion is most often done with CF/epoxy so that would lean you that way, but the above reasons tilt you to Kevlar/vinylester so who knows what he will finally decide????

I don't know if infusion will completely wet out Kevlar so that my be the determining factor. We will just have to wait and see.

FC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
109 Posts
it will be interesting I hope he post photos shoeing layup and construction techniques
thx Mike
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
109 Posts
venom

found a local venom with 4 rigs in good shape for 500buxs I think I did very well doing some work on it as it has not been sailed in a few years.
I do have a question it has a light air a rig what winds speed would be the limit for that? and while I am at it how about the regular A,B and C rigs?
thanks in advance Mike
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:08 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,091 Posts
Mike:

Great buy! You got one heck of deal. I paid significantly more for one last November with only a A rig, and that was after looking for almost a year.

As far as rigs go, the original instruction sheet that came with the Venom says that the A rig should be used "only in the lightest of winds" and "the B rig is the normal rig" for the boat. However, at the NCR in San Diego this last summer, all the Venom drivers used their A rigs up to about 8 mph and just de-tuned them (flat camber, significant bend set into the mast, lots of backstay tension, hiding the jib behind the main on a run rather than sailing wing-on-wing and in some cases choking off the slot).

After all of that, if the boat still buries its bow on a run, it is time to go to the B since even with that high bow, when the deck dives underwater it almost stops the boat dead in its tracks or causes a broach. A wave breaker on the bow helps delay it some, but at some point you do have to rig down.

In addition to the A, I built both a B and a C, but have never done more than test them. However, spring is here and if there was ever a time of year that I might need the B, it will be in the next few months. The C is just insurance in case a major regatta is held in gale force winds

FC