HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
It's the microballoons that hurts epoxy. My new epoxy from US Composites is amazing. I put a chunk in a vice and could not break it.

The PU glue is a little more brittle than epoxy, but is perfectly matched to foam.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Mar 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:36 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
576 Posts
PU is good stuff.

When nothing but thickened epoxy will do I use West 404. We used it a lot when I worked in a full scale repair shop.

For RC it is the cats meow.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/404-high-density-filler

Tony
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Last edited by T.D.; Mar 15, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:23 AM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
It's the microballoons that hurts epoxy. My new epoxy from US Composites is amazing. I put a chunk in a vice and could not break it.

The PU glue is a little more brittle than epoxy, but is perfectly matched to foam.

Kent
Hello,

For a very resilient epoxi you have to add cotton flocks, it makes the polymer matrix elastic...
Microbaloons are good for light weight gap filling, just that.

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:31 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Here is westsystems products guide. Download the pdf's; they have the best uses for each of the fillers and epoxies. http://www.westsystem.com/ss/how-to-publications-2/
Their 404 filler is the best for strength. Chopped glass is probably stronger and carried by some other suppliers.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:01 AM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
Well I think I have the plan for the built up version finished, baring a little clean up for printing. Would welcome any comments.
I have deliberately left off any reference to installation of rc gear and electrics to allow moving and fitting as required.

Martin
mhodgson is online now Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:08 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
Wow, nice drawings....you've been busy.

I prefer strong wings over light wings so my suggestions would be to use spruce instead of basswood for spar caps, increase the size of the center joiners and make them out of solid spruce and wrap all joiners with kevlar cord or similar.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:06 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
Thanks for the comments Kent.
I think for the type of flying I have in mind with this one the spar will be OK, though I may use spruce- I have bass in stock which is why it's specified. Combined with 3/32 skins and maybe glass finish it should be enough. I will add balsa webs between the spars as well. I am also intending to bind the spar around the joiner areas.

Now to print off some ribs.

Martin
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
I can't say until I fly it, but my hunch is that there is something about this plane that just may spur you on to fly it faster than normal....or maybe that's just me. I know some RES pilots that probably never fly over 1 1/2 Gs. Then never do loops and limit there speed to just faster than best glide.

Although I'll probably never DS this wing, I am planning on a fast pull out from a terminal dive.

BTW, by the time you are ready for your maiden flight, I'll have the CG confirmed by flight testing.......good timing on your part.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:02 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
524 Posts
I knew I was missing something on the plan!
Ribs are nearly done so I'm really going to have to clear out the workshop now. Temperature's on the up too so hopefully I can start end of month when I'm on holiday- in-between all the home jobs my good lady has listed.

Martin
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
PU as quick filler

As far as set-backs go, I had a good one today.

While final sanding of the foam cores, I had set up a spot light at a low angle to the work surface in order to highlight bumps and dips. Minutes later....I smelled something. The hot spot light 6" away from the LE had melted a sizable chunk of the foam wing ( and bed ). The CF fabric at the LE was unaffected so there was a well defined void. I was hell bent on laying up the top skin of the wing today, so a fast curing filler was needed. PU glue to the rescue.

Applied masking tape to the surrounding area, mixed up a tiny amount of PU and maybe 4 drops of water, mixed for 30 seconds and painted a thin layer over the melted foam. By the time that I had cleaned up and grabbed the camera, it had already started to expand. Maybe 90 seconds. Piccies show time lapse of repair to sanded patch and ready to cover.

Top skin is on and in the oven.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Mar 17, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:57 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
Top skin is cured and out of the bag. That is one solid wing.

Surprised by the print through of the CF reinforcement at the yellow paint. This paint was laid on in many layers until it was thick. It was completely opaque when held up to the sun, but when epoxy is applied, it's a different story. Maybe a primer in addition to the paint would help cover.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Print through or not,that is a bonny wing.Can you just give a quick rundown on the steps prior to painting(prep of the mylars)This inside out painting thing takes some getting used to.The primer coats go on last?
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Top skin is cured and out of the bag. That is one solid wing.

Surprised by the print through of the CF reinforcement at the yellow paint. This paint was laid on in many layers until it was thick. It was completely opaque when held up to the sun, but when epoxy is applied, it's a different story. Maybe a primer in addition to the paint would help cover.

Kent
Hi Kent, I think that the standard treatment for light colors (like yellow) and also for the fluorescents is to have a white underlayer.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:09 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
576 Posts
Yeah, as Herk says you want to over spray the primary colour on the mylar with white, gloss is good for that.

If you want a deeper surface colour with less pop do the over spray with silver.

Nice wing BTW.

Tony
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 09:38 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,795 Posts
Cutting out surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Print through or not,that is a bonny wing.
My wing is Boney?.......like Leggy???

Oh BONNY....OH OH yea. RIGHT ! It's a bonny wing mate!

Yes Stuart, mylars are waxed then painted. Yes all backwards. It should all be in the log. Better yet, get your hands on Phil Barnes video "vacuum bagging made easy". It's a must for newbies. This wing is like my 2nd or 3rd try after getting the video.

I'll use light colored paint backing next time.....I'm beginning to think that this wing has a paint job in it's future, but for now it's almost time to fly!

Cut out the flap with a snap off blade knife. WHAT A BEATING ! I used way too heavy of a cloth and foolishly let the CF cloth overlap the flaps. It's like working on a surfboard. Maybe 2 hours to cut out and file the hinge. The foam edge took a beating, but can be fixed later (time to fly) I'll leave the kevlar hinge a little stiff for now....don't want to file all the way through.

Very happy with this hinge. Clean, straight, sealed....will only loosen up in time.

Kent

Plank 2.5 Flap (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Mar 18, 2013 at 09:54 PM.