HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:36 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,417 Posts
Careful!
Preflight - Preflight - Preflight

So what happens when you do your preflight check on a new plane 3 times prior to it's first flight and you still end up flying with an improper control? You crash!

I checked my surfaces no less than 3 times yesterday prior to a maiden of a new scratch build and somehow I failed to notice the elevator was reversed.

Needless to say the result was fatal to the plane.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,033 Posts
happens to the best of us. Seen a guy using a gyro and it wouldn't roll off, the gyro was backwards, so he flip it to reverse, guess what, it fixed the gyro, but reversed the stab movement. totaled.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
It was a handlaunch plane, right? I'd find it hard to get into fatal-crash-altitude without a working elevator...
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thailand
Joined Aug 2010
506 Posts
I used to fly full size gliders and when I started the instructors made everyone check the controls every time before launch.
I had just flown this glider so I asked why you had to check something you had just flown and I hadn't even got out of yet as you always had 3 flights.
He said if you check everytime no matter what then you will never forget to do it.
Always a good idea to get someone else to give it a second look as they are not running on adrenalin and can think a bit better, lol.
Jim
We've all done it.
Fox-composites is offline Find More Posts by Fox-composites
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
It was a handlaunch plane, right? I'd find it hard to get into fatal-crash-altitude without a working elevator...
It was, with this one the preferred launching method is to hold from the top of the fuse just behind the canopy, point upwards throttle up and just let it climb out of your hand. So 2 seconds it's 30 - 40 feet up.

I know at one time or another we've all done it/will do it what have you. I'm just trying to save at least 1 newbie from the mistake.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:17 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
It was, with this one the preferred launching method is to hold from the top of the fuse just behind the canopy, point upwards throttle up and just let it climb out of your hand. So 2 seconds it's 30 - 40 feet up.

I know at one time or another we've all done it/will do it what have you. I'm just trying to save at least 1 newbie from the mistake.
i did it with a b-17 bomber, ground launch, i had the ailerons reversed, was the maiden flight, was so excited i forgot the preflight... i only tore one of the engines off.

My preflights are quite extensive these days =)
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
I was flying a borrowed EPP 48" Yak at a RC event - owner trusted me enough... it was EPP and over a grassy field, he was fine with it.

Took off, but quickly realized the plane was handling "funny". "Funny" quickly turned into "uncontrollable" and was juuusttt barely able to make a semi-safe landing, but did break a prop.

The rubber band wing joiner had degraded and snapped inside the fuselage, and the wings were largely loose and falling off when I was taxiing the plane back.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
As mentioned above, while flying full size sailplanes I checked everything every time I was in pre launch (winch launch) mode.

CISTRS controls, insturments, spoilers, trim, release (winch line), straps.

That was about 45 yrs ago and I could still do that cockpit check in my sleep. Do I have something for my RC sailplanes? HELL NO!!! Have I crashed? HELL YES!! Stupid? HELL YES!!
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,435 Posts
Fully agree on the need to do preflight check before every takeoff. And it needs to be a test (think what you are doing and observe the results), not just wiggle the sticks and hear some servo whirring.

Another good tip from full-size maintanence world: you are blind to your own mistakes. If you do something to a plane, get someone else to check it.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Yes, yes, and....yes.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird