13,846 Posts
Very nice, Bob SF!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:09 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Saffron in Color

Hi Everyone, the thrill of masking has worn off for today. You know when the tips of your fingers hurt from pulling tape off them....that you've had enough for a while. The good news is that Saffron is in color now and lots of them. All paint is Rustoleum brand - Satin Red (spray can) for the bottom, Flat White (brushed) for the stripe, Satin Black (brushed) for her sides, Hunt Club Green (spray can) for the outside of her bulwarks, and hiding under the paint for wharf rash, there are two light coats of Soft Wheat (spray can) and Nutmeg (spray can) waiting to be revealed. The next step is to sand the insides of her bulwark and paint it a light shade of yellow. There is a plank that attaches to the bulwark vertical posts and that plank will be done in a lt. cherry stain and varnish. I think it will be a nice contrast to the yellow background color. Mock-up of the graphics for the boat's name, hull numbers, and pinstripe needs to come soon. Lots of fun stuff to build still....the hard part is to slow down and do one job at a time. And a big thanks to Melih for help with the waterline! Bob SF
Bob SF is offline Find More Posts by Bob SF
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
well, well, well,

mp
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Graphics Go On

Hi Everyone, the inside of the bulwarks have been painted. A light shade of yellow was mixed up using five parts of flat white primer to one part of gloss yellow. Callie Graphics, info@callie-graphics.com, came through BIG TIME and she produced some really great looking self-stick vinyl decals (in a light yellow color) for Saffron, including some really cool scroll work on either side of the boat's name. The scroll work looks like fish hooks. Callie even matched the font for the boat registration numbers from the launch picture of the full-scale Saffron...she went the extra mile and really helped with this project. Many of the full-scale boats of this type use old car tires for fenders and Harbor Models (www.harbormodels.com) has a great selection of rubber tires for the modeler to use. I bought 20 tires and they showed up on the brown truck all shiny and new. Too nice looking, so I had to do something about that. A friend of mine had given me a set of tires for use on the Army STL project. He had taken the tires and ran them through a polisher (with a rough grit) and thoroughly beat the heck out of them and they were perfect. I don't have a polisher, so I had to go to Plan B. Since sidewalk curb does such a nice job of scuffing up full size car tires, I went directly to the source for the solution. I sat myself down on the curb in front of my house and started sanding the model tires on the curb - sidewalls, tread, and rounding the edges. My Dad grew up during the "Great Depression" and he told me a story about how he built a model airplane, using the sidewalk as sandpaper (since he couldn't afford to buy any). Having never tried this technique, I thought that I would give it a try....and it worked pretty well. Once thoroughly scuffed, I put the tires in a plastic bag with a couple of drops of dirt colored paint (Rustoleum latex paint, color nutmeg) and rolled the tires in the paint. The paint likes to stick to the scuffed areas and the low areas. I pulled out the tires and slid them onto a dowel (hung horizontally) and let the tires dry. I've included a picture of the Saffron with her graphics installed (and a paper mock-up of her cabin). Also, a picture of the tires (new and worn). Bob SF
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:30 AM
Aukra, Norway
Joined Aug 2010
461 Posts
wow that looks really nice!
proteque is offline Find More Posts by proteque
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Hi Proteque, thank you for the nice comment.

This build is going to go into slow motion for a couple of weeks as all of the final engineering takes place. I want to be able to leave the back door of the cabin open, so that you can see the interior, and the sound from the engine sound generator has a place to come out. Within the cabin, I want to mount a square speaker with a resonating box, provide power to the nav lights/cabin light/squid lights...l think that is what those lights on the long poles are for. To be different, I'm going to finish the cabin planks in Lt. Cherry Stain and leave the corner framework natural to match the deck. The window frames will be the Hunt Club Green to match the outside of the bulwark. The cabin roof will have a slight curve to match the arch in the deck. In front of the cabin, there will be a small elevated structure that will be topped by the windlass. At the base of the windlass, there will be a grating that will allow air to be pulled into the hull by a PC fan that will blow over the motor and the speed control. The sails have been sewn and they turned out pretty good. Sewing is the hardest part of this build for me...I just don't like doing it. I used a maroon/red color fabric (which should look even better as they fade). The sails were made a little smaller than what the rigging looks like it would support, as I don't want to overpower the hull. I also have to start collecting lead to make the short wing keels that I'll attach to the hull. Once the prop and shaft go in, I can do a float test to see how much ballast she will need. It would be great to get a couple of pounds of lead on the exterior of the hull. The Saffron Project is getting to a point where she is turning from an image in my mind to a working model and I'm getting excited to see her on the water. This should be fun. Bob SF
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Cabin Built for Saffron

Hi Everyone,
Here is a quick update on the Saffron Project. The main hatch cover has been assembled. This will be the day-to-day access for the interior of the boat. The drive battery will slide through this hatch and the on/off switches will be accessed through here as well. The deck area behind the main hatch has a removable panel, along with another removable panel over the rudder. These two hatches will be screwed in place, ready for removal during major maintenance. The cabin has been built and painted. The roof has just been completed, but not finished. I visited the doll store in Marin County, CA and picked up a goat, a dog, and a couple of door knobs. I couldn't find any people that I wanted for the boat, short of a mortgage on the house...too pricey....so I will just visit them. Still looking for a crew. The cabin interior along with the bullwark inner rail come next. Bob SF
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
hkn
Joined May 2010
17 Posts
Hi Bob,
First I would like to congratulate your good work.
As I see you like to collect original pics of that fishing vessel.
So Im sure will love this link;

http://www.sol.co.uk/i/iangwhittaker...nn/asiad16.htm

click on the name of vessels to see the pics.

2 years ago I was just like you and asking Melih lots of question. And he was helping me with full of patience as always. He is the most gifted model maker that Ive seen.

I didnt create a building thread on RCgroups but here are some pics and video of my Hellen if you would like to see.

http://gerzekhayat.blogspot.com/2011/06/hellen.html

looking fwd to see your sea trial videos

HAKAN
hkn is offline Find More Posts by hkn
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
Istanbul / TURKEY
Joined Feb 2005
260 Posts
Melih PEKOL is offline Find More Posts by Melih PEKOL
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Hi Hakan, you are correct and I did like the link to all of the boats. I have no excuses now for any lack of deck detail thanks to you. Both you and Melih are master builders and are an inspiration to us all. I hope to live up to the quality of the boats that both of you have built. When I first started this project, I found your video's on the Internet and enjoyed watching them. Your boat runs really well. I finished installing the inner rail on the bulwark and cast up a pair of small bilge keels that I will mount below the turn of the bilge. Each of the bilge keels weighs 2 pounds and that should help with getting the boat stable enough to attempt sailing it. Thank you again for your post....I found it very helpful. Bob SF
Last edited by Bob SF; Nov 29, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:36 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,519 Posts
Thnx !

A Great link, lots of Fife's and such we love to see ...

Thanks !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Bilge Keels for Saffron

Hi Everyone,
I started building the bilge keels for the boat to get some of the ballast lower in the hull. I got one completed and ran out of epoxy and moved on to a new set of epoxy bottles, only to find that the new set had crystallized. I had ordered two sets of epoxy to replace my dwindling stock and the second set was crystallized as well. The mail order company is making good on its product and I hope to have some "liquid epoxy" to finish up the second bilge keel soon. I had cast the bilge keel out of lead, using a wooden mold of the shape that I wanted. I then removed the lead from the mold and with a hammer and vice, pounded the bilge keel into the curve that I needed to match Saffron's hull shape. The top and bottom of the bilge keel were planked with some 1/8" spruce. The sides of the bilge keels were covered in 1/16" plywood and sanded to shape. The finished bilge keel fits nicely to the hull. When the second keel is completed, I'll glass both of them using West System Epoxy and paint them to match the hull. The plan is to place the keels on the bottom of the boat where I want them, mark the hull and drill two mounting holes through the hull for each keel. A wooden plate will be glued to the inside of the hull to spread out the strain that the keels might apply to the hull. At this point, the finished bilge keels will be glued and sheet metal screwed to the hull. The seam will be touched up with red bottom paint. This will put almost 4 lbs. of lead outside of the hull, hopefully allowing me to sail and power this hull. While I'm waiting for the epoxy to arrive, I'll be working on making the cabin interior. I soldered up an exhaust pipe and muffler and it looks pretty good. Now is a good time to fix all of the little things that didn't meet my expectations on the first go round.....nothing like practice to get something right (or at least close). Bob SF
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:13 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2003
594 Posts
Saffron shows her age

Hi Everyone,
It is a cold (for us) and very wet day here in California. The Saffron project continues to show progress. The bilge keels were installed using sheet metal screws, adhesive caulk, and washers. The hardest part of the installation was keeping the drill bits from snapping while drilling the pilot holes in the lead keels....drill, clear the debris, drill a little more, snap, #$%^&, etc. The motor, shaft, prop, rudder, rudder servo, and the sail winch servo have been installed for good. I test ran the motor on six volts (she will be a six volt boat) and the driveline for about an hour and everything runs smoothly. The boat's fenders were installed using braided stainless steel wire. Somehow overnight, the finish on the boat has gone from new out of the can to 10 years of rough weather exposure. I'll have to talk to the ship's engineer about his maintenance schedule. A 3M scuff pad, coupled with a wash of CSX grey, Olive green, and Engine Black did a number on the paint job. I'll let the brass tarnish on its own. More cabin work is on tap for today. Take care and stay dry...Bob SF
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,519 Posts
Excellent weathering, all you need now is a few dips in our lake and you'll have a nice green real live stripe all the way around !

Lookin Great, No other Hellen looks like This one.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.