HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:39 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Makes me think I'd better check my ESC wiring sooner rather than later!

Nice FPV install. I think I'll copy what you've done to mine. Was worrying about CG but where you have placed your gear it should be ok.

My FPV set is pretty mild, 2.4ghz 10 mw. I have an ezosd to use as well, with antenna tracking and 8db panel receiver antenna. Never used it before,I have played lots of in cockpit flight sims, should that be ok to fly this quad with?

Good to see more of you guys joining in the discussion. Two of my props were out of balance, but not by much. Always a good idea to check balance, I havea Robart magnetic balancer.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:34 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,675 Posts
Thanks for the photos on where you cut you heat shrink away Maverick,i was going to take more off but i'll be doing it the same as your have for now and see what happens,i'll also be putting a small amount of hot glue on the exposed wires too (great idea),right then i'm now off as i want to see what sort of amps these ESC's are pulling and if i can do it how i want i'll post what i find.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:51 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,675 Posts
Well it seems i was right about the ESC's on this quad,i thought i'd give it another quick go outside in my garden before i try and remove any heat shrink from them or before i try anything else,just to see if it had anything to do with me hovering it indoors to why they were getting hot,and then all of a sudden one of the ESC's started to smoke but as i was only hovering about 3 foot of the ground i got her down before any other damage could occur.

So if i were you boys i'd keep a close eye on them ESC's here i'll post a photo of my burnt out ESC,now i've got to try and find a source for a new ESC,to think this is brand new and i've only had it for two days,do i really want to replace the burnt out ESC with the same sort or do i try and fine four new higher amp ones that will work.

So again if anyone out there know of what brand of ESC will work with this set-up i'd appreciate the info as i know not all ESC's will work with it.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:25 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Oh that's really bad to see that happen, worse since you only just got it..I think the Hobbywing Fentium ESC's work ok on these, I think I'd be happier with 18-20 Amp ESC's.They won't fit into the arms but at least they'll be working.

Think I'm heading for a stripdown with mine, I just like it too much to lose it. Interesting info on the LED flashing sequences, mine only flashes 2 and 3 times from my switch, I had better recheck that too.

Interestingly, even carrying a 3300 3S lipo and GP Hero on mine, my ESC's were just warm, so am thinking, maybe the one that blew shorted? I was told that the pins from the ESC are poorly insulated, could be the reason the other 3 controllers were running hot too?

Once again sorry to hear of what happened to you, I hope you get things sorted with it soon.

All the best

Matt
Last edited by Matt Halton; Nov 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo corrections
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,675 Posts
Yeah thanks for that Matt and i've just found out that the hobbywing esc's that will work in it but i'll wait and see what IdeaFly say before i even think about buying any new ones,and like you i'd rather at least a 20/25 amp ESC in this Quad,even though this has happened i'm still well pleased with how it flies and i'd still recommend this quad to anyone,i think what you said could of been the problem about shorting out,so once i do get another ESC i will be checking every part of the wiring from my motors and ESC's.

Shame it happened but i'm thinking i was just unlucky with getting a bad ESC because for the most part this is a good quad,well from what i have been reading on this thread and i've read a lot on this thread about it.

Happy flying boys and i won't be grounded for long,i'll be back to let you know how i get on with IdeaFly and so on,plus i'll still be reading other posts.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:52 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
Yeah thanks for that Matt and i've just found out that the hobbywing esc's that will work in it but i'll wait and see what IdeaFly say before i even think about buying any new ones,and like you i'd rather at least a 20/25 amp ESC in this Quad,even though this has happened i'm still well pleased with how it flies and i'd still recommend this quad to anyone,i think what you said could of been the problem about shorting out,so once i do get another ESC i will be checking every part of the wiring from my motors and ESC's.

Shame it happened but i'm thinking i was just unlucky with getting a bad ESC because for the most part this is a good quad,well from what i have been reading on this thread and i've read a lot on this thread about it.

Happy flying boys and i won't be grounded for long,i'll be back to let you know how i get on with IdeaFly and so on,plus i'll still be reading other posts.

Was it just that one ESC that was getting hot, or were they all running at the same temp?
I hope you get things going again soon, but you're not missing much with this completely horrible weather!

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
Was worrying about CG but where you have placed your gear it should be ok.
Matt
Thank you Matt, and yes i weighed everything before it was placed on the quad to make sure it still balanced out in each axis....... Using manual mode is also a good way to check if your CG is right because the quad will lean in the direction of the heavy side.

Also are you sure your 2.4ghz transmitter is only 10milli watts and not 100?..... If it is then i don't think you are going to be happy with the range.

I'm using a 800mw 900mhz transmitter because 900mhz has better penetration with obstacles that are low to the ground........and trust me quads do not do well with major heights so under 200feet high is were you will want to stay.

Sorry to hear about your ESC startazz...... I guess your warm/hot is the same as our`s and you knew it was too hot............ I can honestly say mine barley get warm and the only thing i did right out of the box (literally) was cover exposed wires and connections, make sure nothing was binding or bent on too much of an angle and then i separated the wires from the ESC`s to the motors with a little hot glue as well.

I really put my ideafly quad to the test today..... not only was she loaded up with all the FPV gear like, 2 cameras(one is a gopro) 610mah camera batt.,transmitter,E-logger,OSD,on board voltage monitor,gyroscopic heads up display unit, ......but also........ a 315g 3600mah main battery.......... She weighed in at a grand total of 1351grams....... and i got 9 minutes of flight out of her sometimes pulling 20amps......... flew her back to back for 4 sets of batteries and the ESC`s never went over 41degrees Celsius.
Ya I'm very happy to say the least....... how long will it last with this set up?....time will tell but if nothing is getting hot...... then why wouldn't it last?

I will try and get the gopro footage uploaded soon.......

Also startazz, can you cut away the heat shrink on your burt ESC and take a picture..... I would like to see it, if you can.... Cheers guys!
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Last edited by 1111Mavrick; Nov 26, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
212 Posts
Here is a video i made on how to set up your ideafly-4 quad on your computer.

ideafly-4 setup quadcopter Hobbyking (17 min 46 sec)
1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
That is a great instructional video, should help a lot of guys out with their settings, and it's made a few things clearer for me

I see you're using a DX7, and so am I. You have your 3 flight modes setup on the three way toggle switch (flt mode), but isn't working on mine, I can only get it to work on the 2 way switch (gear)
Can you possibly explain how to reassign the switch from gear to flt mode please?

I've been reading the manual, but frankly is pretty gobbldegook in places, is there a simple way to change it?

My Vtx is only 10mw (UK legal) but am told an 8DBi panel antenna in conjunction with my EZ Antenna Tracker will do the job, and increase range?

I'd like to upgrade to a more powerful Vtx at some point, but will it really only be good for 200' on a quad?

I was out again today, with my recently aquired ESC paranoia on board, after what I've been reading on here, so made an immediate check following a 13 min flight, and feeling with the upper part of a finger, it really is barely warm, I had to check twice to make sure I felt any heat. Seems ok so far...

I made another video with the camera pointing down at an angle of 15-20 degrees or something, and the effect is pretty good! Was flying around with it at this angle to see if I could find my canopy cover which ejected itself a couple of weeks ago. We've had terrible weather here recently, and today, much to my surprise, still grey skies, but barely any wind. A lot of the time it was calm, and I suppose the strongest breezes were maybe 2-3 mph.

I look forward to seeing your FPV video soon, should be very interesting. Do you think I'll find it easier to fly FPV rather than LOS?
I find the shape of this quad a bit disorienting at times, and as a result am kind of scared off going too high.

This evening I've been checking my FPV gear, and somehow I've lost a vital 3.5mm jack plug to RCA's cable for video..I have no idea where to find another as the vendors I bought this from with VR1400 goggles don't sell them anymore.

Thanks again for taking the time on the instructional video today, very useful!

Here's today's video...and I still didn't find my cover..

Flying again with my IFLY-4 Quadcopter this time with a look down camera view (11 min 27 sec)

Matt
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Nov 2012
60 Posts
You might have to use your ifly4 as a hedge trimmer to see your cover through that bush Matt. Lol!

1111Mavrick cool video, thanks for sharing that, very interesting will help when my 4s arrives.

Won't be long now still need to get a charger sooner rather than later or my first flight won't last very long at all.
pigdogstix is offline Find More Posts by pigdogstix
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:14 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdogstix View Post
You might have to use your ifly4 as a hedge trimmer to see your cover through that bush Matt. Lol!

1111Mavrick cool video, thanks for sharing that, very interesting will help when my 4s arrives.

Won't be long now still need to get a charger sooner rather than later or my first flight won't last very long at all.

Lol, yes, mission impossible, but hey, it was fun trying
I'll buy one from a UK supplier when they are in stock, I liked the cover, gave it that stealth look!

Lots of chargers on ebay mate, but don't buy from Hong Kong, you'll be waiting a long time.
Or Giantshark, they are very good, fast delivery and decent prices.

Matt
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:20 PM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdogstix View Post
Yea Man!
You and me both amigo, cant wait for mine to arrive too!
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:24 PM
Pilot in Training
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined May 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111Mavrick View Post
Here is a video i made on how to set up your ideafly-4 quad on your computer.
EXCEPTIONAL!
Thats going to help me a lot!

Hey Mav, is that the iFly-4, or the new 4-S ?
Sorry, was easier to ask than rummage thru the posts to see if you mentioned it, LOL!
MJS88 is offline Find More Posts by MJS88
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS88 View Post
EXCEPTIONAL!
Thats going to help me a lot!

Hey Mav, is that the iFly-4, or the new 4-S ?
Sorry, was easier to ask than rummage thru the posts to see if you mentioned it, LOL!
It's the 4. Basics would probably still apply to the 4S I would think.