HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
motor question

Hi Everybody, i have an old industrial mixer.
its a Saint Louis 82 MIXER and its 220 V on top of the machine there is a motor, recently every time i turn the motor switch one it blows a fuse. other wise everything else works fine on the machine now my question is i want to wire the motor directly to the 110v plug in the wall also make an on off switch and make a low of high rpm switch. my questions are .
is this motor able to run on regular 110v or do i have to make a circuit board for it ?
also is it possible to make a switch for it to run slower and faster ?

please help.

here is a link to the mixer

http://www.vapson.com/index.php/vap-ic-0016.html

here is the pictures of the motor

Thanks
russianguy is offline Find More Posts by russianguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,700 Posts
It has no Hz marking on it, that and the 180V marking suggest that it is a DC motor. So you would need a DC power supply to run it and it would run the other way when you reversed the polarity.

It would not run off of 110V AC it if was wound for DC.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,161 Posts
Yup,
That motor is not meant to be connected directly to the power line at all. The link shows that motor as part of a unit with the power supply and control circuitry in the base.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:25 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,700 Posts
And at 180V and 1.28A that would be a 230 Watt motor. The power supply and controls in the base probably varied the speed of the motor by varying the input voltage. As the voltage dropped the power would drop too of course.

90V and 180V are commonly used voltages for variable speed DC motor used in machinery, on production lines, and in similar places.

And did you notice that the motor has brushes?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,161 Posts
Not until you mentioned it
Not surprising, some things just work very well. Our KitchenAid stand mixer has many miles on it, with no sign of the brushes needing to be replaced.
If the motor is series wound, then it would actually be a universal motor.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
885 Posts
It is very possible that the motor is a high voltage DC motor, which requires a paired DC power supply to run, based on the states.

But not until you see the inside of the motor, it is still not 100% sure that it is a DC motor. Most AC motors, when you turn the motor shaft with your hand, you may not feel any cogging or much resistance, since there are probably no iron core or permanent magnets in it. If it is a DC motor, it probably has iron core and magnets, and the shaft may be difficult to turn, or you may feel the cogging when you turn the shaft with your hand.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc