HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:35 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Rick,

My dimensions are pretty much lifted from Ed's boat. The middle jib pivot fitting on deck is 190mm from the bow, with a fitting 15mm forward and 15mm aft from that point. From the middle fitting, my jib sheet exit is 245mm back. From there, my aft mast step location is 105mm. If you total these, you get the 540mm max aft mast step per the class rules. From the aft-most mast step location, my main sheet exit is 350mm. The mainsheet side of my sail arm is 100mm long, and the jib sheet side is 70mm long. My sail servo rotates almost a complete 180degrees to get full in/out sail travel.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:01 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
863 Posts
Bow jib eyes

Thanks for the measurements Kevin.

I like the minimalist look of the hardware on your deck. How did you get your hand inside to tighten the three eye bolts on the bow? If I could get there that is the way I would go too.

Is that an eye bolt on the transom too?

Where did you buy your hardware?

Thanks Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:21 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
Rick,

I made threaded aluminum plates that were glued to the underside of the kingplank before the deck was installed, both for the jib pivot and backstay eyebolts. They came in handy when installing the deck as a way to hold the deck in place on the centerline.

They are "high strength" eye bolts from Pekabe http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEKABE-455-H...item53ee2c509d

I used the same for the shroud chainplates. In that case I was able to get my hand in to start nuts from underneath.

Since your deck is already on, maybe you could make a threaded plate and tape it to a long stick to position ii in the bow? Or maybe eyebolts with a coarser "woodscrew" style thread would hold into the kingplank?

Kevin

PS Sorry Ed for hijacking your build log
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,091 Posts
An eBay seller, longbeachrc, often carries the type of racks that screw onto the deck. I have used them, along with the matching chainplates, and they work well as well as looking good.

Currently, he only shows the chainplates (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Chainp...item3375801cea but you could email him and ask about a jib rack. He doesn't always post everything he has and if he is out, he gets shipments frequently.

Steve
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:15 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
863 Posts
Cj 516

Yo!

Thanks guys for the input. I made the rest of my deck attachment points today. Here are a couple of pictures from the shop. I made the jib rack, shroud racks and back stay attachment parts from an aluminum picture frame kit from Hobby Lobby.

Rick
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:56 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,265 Posts
Nice work Rick.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:03 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
863 Posts
Servo Stand Cj 516

Yo,

I was playing with using PVC for the servo stand in my Canterbury J. I have used this in the past on other boats and it has held up well over the years. I took a picture of an old 815bb sail servo sitting on the pvc stand. I haven't figured out how to make the rudder servo stand yet, may need to move to a smaller diameter than the 3" pipe.

Rick
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
21 Posts
One way to install nuts under a deck where you cannot reach is to use 2-56 or 4-40 blind nuts aka tee nuts. Run a piece of thin spectra line down thru the hole. Tie it thru the hole in a rigging pin that has the nut screwed onto it. Pull the rigging pin up thru the hole and the blind nut will dig its teeth into the bottom side of the king plank or deck and stay there after you unscrew the rigging pin. The blind nut barrel diameter is slightly bigger than a rigging pin, so the hole might need to be slightly oversized.

Scott
s vernon is offline Find More Posts by s vernon
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:08 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
Rick,

I was wondering if you could post your pictures and Ideas in the Canterbury J Discussion Thread. I started that thread hoping the people that have C-J's would post pictures of their boats and how they build. It kind of died off and I was hoping you would help to get it started again. Please don't take this the wrong way, I look forward to your post's and hope some day get to meet you and the gang.

C-J discussion thread,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464216

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:49 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
863 Posts
okay

No Problem Ed.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:46 PM
United States, NJ, Woodbridge Township
Joined Feb 2014
1 Posts
ec-12

does anybody have clean measurements for the water line on an ec12 i want to paint the topsides and hull under the water different colors
boogerbaby37
boogerbaby37 is offline Find More Posts by boogerbaby37
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:19 PM
RB
Joined Nov 2012
114 Posts
I posted some pics of how I determined the waterline on the general CJ discussion forum.
R Baker is offline Find More Posts by R Baker
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:22 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
boogerbaby37,

Here is the link for the EC-12 build site. Somewhere in the build documents there is a dimension from the tip of the bow down to the water line and from the top of the stern down to the water line. I searched but could not locate it. I used blue tape to mark the measurements.

http://www.ec12.info/

Here is a picture of how I did mine, but I don't remember the measurements. And I now longer have the boat. You could also contact the EC-12 secretary through the AMYA site.

http://www.theamya.org/boats/ec12/

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:16 PM
RC Sailboat Builder
Sarasota, FL
Joined Aug 2007
33 Posts
I offer laser cut wooden frames for building J-Boat models

See www.angelfire.com/fl4/mft for J-Boat model laser cut frames in
48", 60", 1/16th scale or other sizes.

Milton Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Tuna View Post
Ed,
Buying the hull is probably a good idea, but I have my heart set on a clear coat over a light cedar and peruvian walnut hull made out of leftover wood from a kayak I built. I was hoping to find some Cantabury instructions and measurements that I could apply to a 48" build from Milton's frames. I think I'll see if Hans will part with a set of his instructions.
I have a "50 Ford F1 set up as a mild street rod, it's a practical thing, my bride claims it doesn't haul anything, but it does haul ass.
Is yours a "63?
Tom
MiltonThrasher is offline Find More Posts by MiltonThrasher
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonThrasher View Post
Milton Thrasher
good to see you still in the business- I have eyeing a couple of your offerings.
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded