HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Flaps

My SR had no flap instriuctions. Here is how I put them in. Hiding the pushrod meant no adjustment, so each servo is on its own channel.

Eric.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
battery box mod.

It is hard to describe these changes in words. So, I am using my iPhone4S becasue it loads easily onto this forum.

You need a very sharp knife or razor blade to carve the foam and you do it in stages or else the foam grabs the blade and tears up.

I had to cut into the wing as well, but it is still pretty strong where it slots into the fuselage.

I made battery slot longer than the battery to allow CG expereiments and different capacity batteries. A small piece of velcro atthe entrance to teh slot is used to stop the battery from sliding.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Finals

Battery can easily be put in and taken out with wing bolted in position.

Final pictures of what you see on the outside.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Nice mod Eric. I also dislike the stock battery box on this plane. I'm a little worried about cutting away at the wing root though I'm guessing you added the CF rod prior to joining the wings? If so, very good idea. I wish I would have thought about that prior to building ours.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Nice mod Eric. I also dislike the stock battery box on this plane. I'm a little worried about cutting away at the wing root though I'm guessing you added the CF rod prior to joining the wings? If so, very good idea. I wish I would have thought about that prior to building ours.
I suggest that you could put your battery a bit higher. If I was doing it again I would do that. I would make a foam channel in one piece, cut a section out to take it and then glue it in the fuselage. BTW - unless you are going to do outside loops the wing front "block" is not really stressed that much.

The CF rod has to be where I put it becasue of the dihedral. The rod connects to the U/C blocks. I had to notch the wing seat accordingly.

I have not flown the SR in any wind yet. I mention this, because that is why I wanted the oppoprtunity to move my new CG forward again, hence the length of the slot.

Regards,

Eric.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,268 Posts
Haven't posted lately. Initially put my SR-22 up for sale a while back. No local takers so she is back on the ready line. The decals didn't give me the visibility I wanted so I added a little color. Haven't flown her yet. Should stick out quite well. Will add a call number eventually.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,268 Posts
Sticks out beautifully against a grey sky. Able to move farther out in my pattern making longer approaches and better landings.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,319 Posts
Amazing what the right colors can do for a plane in the air. Looking good so keep up the good work

Kman
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Hi all
Just got my Sr22 today. I'm curious about the paint jobs on some of the planes I've seen. Are they stickers or a template you get from some place?
MuddyWulf is offline Find More Posts by MuddyWulf
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:15 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,107 Posts
Art,,, It's all art/ LOL not for real... In my case. The Krylon for plastic paints is what I use. Use the yellow Duck tape for masking.... It will not pull the paint off the foam as easy.... and 3rd, I use water transfer paper for the Inkjet printer for decals...... You got to clear coat them after you print them or when you put them into water to transfer them, the ink will wash off. Also I have the circuit vinyl cutting machine for some things but the decal paper works best.
Here is an example of some of my from scratch work using nor more than I mention in this post.

Both Dyman ARF out of the box kits. Reds are Krylon and decals are Ink Jet water transfer paper.
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,268 Posts
Same here with the Krylon for plastics. The black trim line is hand painted. I taped off the trim border then used a permanent marker to make a guide line. Better lines to follow for these not so steady hands. Will add trim lines to the wheel covers eventually.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,268 Posts
Any suggestions for tinting the windscreen and windows? Nothing too dark. Just a way to hide the interior.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Sounds like I have something else to learn in order to customize my SR. Time to stock up on paint. I have plenty of all kinds of tape. Did the maiden flight today. I felt very uneasy about the power of the 950kv motor. I snapped the screw on motor shaft on the second landing. Any idea where to get that? The prop was pretty tough though. Now I need to find a replacement shaft. I think I'm going to like this airplane once I replace the motor.
MuddyWulf is offline Find More Posts by MuddyWulf
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWulf View Post
Sounds like I have something else to learn in order to customize my SR. Time to stock up on paint. I have plenty of all kinds of tape. Did the maiden flight today. I felt very uneasy about the power of the 950kv motor. I snapped the screw on motor shaft on the second landing. Any idea where to get that? The prop was pretty tough though. Now I need to find a replacement shaft. I think I'm going to like this airplane once I replace the motor.
Got mine from headsuprc.com. I believe they are the 3mm shafts with a collet adapter. $2 dollar shipping! I haven't had to repair mine yet, but got them just incase. I was told to try a 9x6 prop to give the 950kv motor a little extra punch. Haven't done so yet as the plane has been a hanger queen for a while. Hope this helps. Happy New Year!
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff