HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Discussion
Purchasing Charger Soon - Help

Currently I have just been using the E-Flite charger that came with my E-Flite Apprentice. It is the only plane I have at the moment and I only have two LiPos that need charging. I know it is a crappy charger and I plan on picking up a Parkzone Artizan and an E-Flite Carbon-Z Splendor in the next year so I would like to get something decent.

I am a college student so I don't have much money to spare right now, but should be making some decent money at my summer internship this summer. It looks like an iCharger from Progressive is the way to go.

What would you guys recommend? Should I buy something like this (http://www.valuehobby.com/review/pro...7/category/88/) for the time being until I can afford an iCharger or just hold off and use the E-Flite charger for now?

As of now I just use my Marine Deep Cycle 12V battery as my power source; sometimes I use a car battery charger and just hook that up to the E-Flite charger as well.

I would like to buy something quality and that will allow a little growing room, but nothing that will break the bank. Something that can be hooked up to my truck battery to charge batteries while I am at the park would be nice too.
CC268 is online now Find More Posts by CC268
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
The X charger is a great charger I have a few of them.. they have served me well One is 6 years old and gets used 3x a week for up to 15 charges at 5 amps.. it has a build in balance plug But I think you will need a adapter plug for our battery's.. Like i said b4 great charger very reliable.. BUT DO NOT USE A BATTERY CHARGER AS A Power supply... Find a old computer with a ATX power supply .. look up on net how to make it into a standalone ps.. One led one switch a few minutes of cutting wires and some simple soldering a set of 4mm bullets for connecting ps to charger and you have a ps that will last you for under $5
tntpoof is offline Find More Posts by tntpoof
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntpoof View Post
The X charger is a great charger I have a few of them.. they have served me well One is 6 years old and gets used 3x a week for up to 15 charges at 5 amps.. it has a build in balance plug But I think you will need a adapter plug for our battery's.. Like i said b4 great charger very reliable.. BUT DO NOT USE A BATTERY CHARGER AS A Power supply... Find a old computer with a ATX power supply .. look up on net how to make it into a standalone ps.. One led one switch a few minutes of cutting wires and some simple soldering a set of 4mm bullets for connecting ps to charger and you have a ps that will last you for under $5
Well if I can pay the $30 for the X Charger I might as well get that. What adapter would I need?

I am unfamiliar with making my own power supply...and I don't really have any old computers. Might be better to just buy one or use my marine battery...
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Any other feedback?? The X-Charger is out of stock and looks like it won't be available for a while (which is a shame because that would have been super cheap and filled my needs just fine for now).
Last edited by CC268; Yesterday at 04:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,449 Posts
Recommend this combo if it fits your budget.

If it does not, this charger and this power supply should suit your needs quite well.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Thanks "The Starter" is what I was looking at. I may just wait till I can afford that and buy that combo. The other combo looks good as well.

What adapter (if any) would I need to charge batteries with EC3 adapters? Or does it just plug into the balance lead?
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
United States, IA, Sidney
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
I use that charger and just order the EC3 charge cable (male) to plug the main charge lead into and a JST-XH balance board. Give them a call and explain your needs, they are very helpful.
tyme4me is online now Find More Posts by tyme4me
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
I am tempted to just go with the cheap combo...just trying to get as many opinions as possible. There are a million chargers out there.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
If I got the iCharger 106B what power supply should I get? Progressive is out of their combo power supply.

The biggest battery I would probably charge in the future would be 6S 3200mAh 30C LiPo flight battery - This requires about 80 watts.
Last edited by CC268; Yesterday at 10:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,363 Posts
I bought this 4-port AC/DC charger for $236 inluding four charge leads and four all in one balancing boards, free shipping and one year warranty. 4 independant 80-watt max chargers in one box with 320 watt total power supply operates on12 volts DC at the field or 120AC at home Simple "fool-proof" 4-button operation does all chemistries including balance charge, storage charge and discharge of up to 6-cell lipo packs. Does not have memories or PC interface/data logging. Simple basic charger, chinglish instruction sheet. I followed similar 4-button charger how-to videos on You Tube.

http://www.rcaccessory.com/evpq6320ac.aspx
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I bought this 4-port AC/DC charger for $236 inluding four charge leads and four all in one balancing boards, free shipping and one year warranty. 4 independant 80-watt max chargers in one box with 320 watt total power supply operates on12 volts DC at the field or 120AC at home Simple "fool-proof" 4-button operation does all chemistries including balance charge, storage charge and discharge of up to 6-cell lipo packs. Does not have memories or PC interface/data logging. Simple basic charger, chinglish instruction sheet. I followed similar 4-button charger how-to videos on You Tube.

http://www.rcaccessory.com/evpq6320ac.aspx
I appreciate the help, but that is way over my budget at this point. The iCharger 106b will do anything I need. I just need to figure out a decent power supply.
Old Today, 07:28 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,770 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-30A-3...item3cd0ab2b76
We use this for our club members and has been at the club for over a year now works great.350 Watts will run the 106b at full power with head room to add another 50watt charger, voltage is adjustable up to 15volts and is good for 110-220 v imput.Surf and find one with free shipping.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Today, 07:54 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,888 Posts
The one linked by The Tug would do you well. Otherwise you can always pick up a pc server power supply for about $10-$15 and modify it. Here's some example instructions:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/my-projects/HP47A

You can find instructions on what to do for most common power supplies on eBay. Just make sure you find instructions for the model you are looking at before you buy.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Today, 10:31 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
If I got the iCharger 106B what power supply should I get? Progressive is out of their combo power supply.

The biggest battery I would probably charge in the future would be 6S 3200mAh 30C LiPo flight battery - This requires about 80 watts.
Here is another option for a power supply. $36 for a 12V power supply.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073199
You don't have to modify it and when you are ready to step up to 24V you can get another one and he will isolate the DC ground on the second one for you.

Get this board for charging your LiPo's with EC3 connectors.
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...st-xh-ec3.html

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Today, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Here is another option for a power supply. $36 for a 12V power supply.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073199
You don't have to modify it and when you are ready to step up to 24V you can get another one and he will isolate the DC ground on the second one for you.

Get this board for charging your LiPo's with EC3 connectors.
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...st-xh-ec3.html

Glen
This sounds like a good way to go, I saw his thread somewhere a while back and thought it might be a good choice. I think I may do that and then get a 106B this summer. I will get that charging board as well. $17 bucks for that charging board is a bit steep but that's alright. Oh how I wish I had money to blow!

To all of you, thanks for all the help so far! Looks like the 106B + the above power supply will fit my needs well!