HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:42 PM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
Build Log
Oly III build log

Do you guys think we need another Oly III build log. I'm getting ready to build mine. I've had it in the box for about 3 years or so. Had to build an Aquila, 4 Star 40, Hanger 9 - 95" Cessna 182, Sig Kavalier and a Dynaflite Super Decathlon.......I've been busy.......it's now time to start on the Oly III. So, what do you guys think??????
n0irw is offline Find More Posts by n0irw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:39 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
591 Posts
I think 2 build logs of the same plane can be helpful when the original build log gets long and hard to search. Is the original Oly 3 build log too big? I use the build logs when I build a plane like my Oly 2S and remember searching multiple logs can be a pain. If you are having problems in your build you may not get the response you desire from a new log? I am interested in building a Oly 3 someday so obviously I looked at your thread here. Anyway feel free to post away.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:15 AM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
I've got the parts laid out and will actually start either tomorrow afternoon or sometime Thursday. I'll take plenty of pictures.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:49 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
591 Posts
Everybody learns differently, but pictures work well for me. Some people prefer just reading and don't get a lot out of pictures or prefer videos. I will usually bring up a picture in the thread and use the tool at the bottom of media viewer called "Pics in thread" that lets you browse them all at once. There is a good thread on the Oly 3 that I remember where a guy added flaps and ailerons. I bet a search will find it as it was pretty recent. He is a good builder, but there was not enough info for me and my skill level. You can always email Ray at Skybench for advice, he seems to answer his emails in the morning.
Good luck
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Last edited by Sir Dumb Thumb; Jan 21, 2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:02 PM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
Yeah, I've read all the Oly III build threads.......just thought I'd cover my project. I will incorporate a few of the items from them into my Oly III. I emailed Ray this morning......the tail boom top sheet that fits between the fuse sides is bowed laterally. It would cause a big time curve in the tail boom. I'd rather get one from him than cut another one...........but I will if necessary. It's not Ray's fault.....I've had the kit for probably 3 or 4 years and just now getting around to building it........so the bow probably happened while it was sitting around the shop.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:54 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,067 Posts
Never too many O3 build logs.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,067 Posts
n0irw,

Just read your last post. I am dealing with the exact same problem with my 1/4" rear top balsa piece. I dealt with this by selecting a new 1/4" sheet and laminated the full length CF strips first to the underside, now will cut out the new piece. Hoping that the CF will prevent any sideways movement. My only additional advice would be sure to laminate the CF in the same or similar humidity environment as your normal average, or the balsa will now curl up or down with humidity changes because the CF will lock in that side. I'm thinking of adding a very thin sliver of CF to the opposite side, to see if that helps minimize or prevent this.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:25 AM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
I want to say that Ray is the KING! He shipped me a new top boom block yesterday. I was VERY willing to pay for a new one and pay for the shipping since the one in my kit was bowed probably from sitting for about 4 years waiting for me to get around to building it. So, in my opinion, NOT HIS FAULT.......but he shipped it anyway. Thanks again Ray!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:28 PM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
Well, we're underway! I just finished epoxying the elevator joiner to the elevator halves. Also glued the 3 parts of the rudder together. For the alaphatic resin, I'm using Titebond III. This glue is waterproof when dry and easier to sand than regular Titebond or Titebond II. You can find it with a green label. You might give it a whirl. More to come!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:29 PM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
Well, day 2 and its about 20 degrees outside and probably 60 in the shop. I got the faces sanded on both the horizontal and the vertical. As the photos show, I also got the ply doublers attached. Rounding the edges is next.

I'm building a sander for this. I took 3/4" PVC and cut a piece 11" long and split it. I will use contact cement and attach 220 grit sandpaper into one of the halves and 400 into the other. These will be for rounding the horizontal and vertical edges.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:18 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,404 Posts
Will this be ready for the Glider Guider meet in May? I had a couple of other projects I wanted to do first, but I'm thinking about building my Paragon in time for the meet.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:33 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Everybody learns differently, but pictures work well for me. Some people prefer just reading and don't get a lot out of pictures or prefer videos. I will usually bring up a picture in the thread and use the tool at the bottom of media viewer called "Pics in thread" that lets you browse them all at once. There is a good thread on the Oly 3 that I remember where a guy added flaps and ailerons. I bet a search will find it as it was pretty recent. He is a good builder, but there was not enough info for me and my skill level. You can always email Ray at Skybench for advice, he seems to answer his emails in the morning.
Good luck
Gary
Well, I for one am lousy at visualizing 'word pictures'. My brain is optically wired, I need images. Oly's, Aquilas, Birds of Time, with planes like these the phrase "too many build threads" is non-applicable.
Fly Wheel is online now Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Jan 26, 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:34 PM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
I built the rounding sanders....I split an 11" piece of 3/4" PVC then cut a piece of 220 and a piece of 400 then applied contact cement and put the sandpaper in the halves. I then labeled each one with the grit and tada! Great sanders for rounding .....I'll probably make a couple for heavier grits.

The tail feathers are done and ready for the fuse. I marked center lines on the bottom sheet, all formers and the horizontal shelf. I then epoxied the front balsa and lite ply sides together and they are drying......We'll do more later.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:23 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Well, I for one am lousy at visualizing 'word pictures'. My brain is visually wired, I need images. Oly's, Aquilas, Birds of Time, with birds like these the phrase "too many build threads" is non-applicable.

We men are like that. There are a few gentlemen's magazines out there that capitalize on this fact!
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:25 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,548 Posts
Sky Bench is experiencing an ever increasing larger number of new builders and build logs are very helpful to them. The biggest problem I have with the new builder, is some don't take my advice and start with an OLY ll kit as suggested in my "Beginners" page. Some don't take the time to read other pages listed on the front page of my web. The biggy is some don't take the time upon receiving the kit to make sure they know where every part belongs. Meaning, instead of dumping everything out of the plastic bags, they should lay out the plan and take every part individually and match it to the plan before proceeding with pins and glue.

The metal yard stick may be the most important tool a builder has. It must be used when joining the rear fuse sides to the front fuse sides. This building step determines the correct incidence. It can be used in setting the stab and wings on the fuse .

I'm sure there hasn't been an instruction manual printed that answers all the questions builders can have when assembling a Woody. Some can't build without the written manual, some can't build without pics, so build logs are very helpful.

On the other side of the builders coin, there are the guys like me that can open up an unfamiliar kit and build it from the plans .. no pics .. no written instructions needed. In fact, I regard reading the instructions as slowing the build down. I think some of my new builders want to build their first kit this way .. :-) Now that we have the accuracy of laser cut parts, a wing can be built using a metal yard stick and no plan, you can get a glimpse of this in some of my kits instructions.

The number one thing new builders should learn is how to " read " the plan. Easy for guys like me that are visual learners. And I should divulge, easy for guys like me that have been building kits for 73 years, Thanks to my Uncle Lenny.

Ray
Woodys Forever
WWW.Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes