HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,397 Posts
Usually a no-cloud day happens when there is an inversion (a layer of warm air) below the condensation level. When a thermal hits this layer, it suddenly isn't warmer than surrounding air anymore and stops rising before a cloud can form.
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,332 Posts
shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
Usually a no-cloud day happens when there is an inversion (a layer of warm air) below the condensation level. When a thermal hits this layer, it suddenly isn't warmer than surrounding air anymore and stops rising before a cloud can form.
sort of a shield, right?
great to know. thank you very much.

this reminds me of the days when i was flying indoor at large futbol domes (120 ft) like johnson city and especially at moscow (idaho), so the plane can't punch through it, and if increasing the size of the rubber too much (these are rubber powered planes) then it suddenly gets through and hangs at the rafters.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,503 Posts
Phil, the BBSD (big blue sky day) is also a very stable air mass day, a high pressure day. The days that do form clouds are involved with air masses that are more unstable, lower barometric pressure, and usually humidity is rising (southern inflow to a low pressure system) adding to the upper level instability, i.e. thunderstorms forming and lots of cumulous clouds.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Aug 01, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,332 Posts
sudden change

today i went flying at dawn. it was clouded and windy, but i decided to fly anyway, as it was not too much wind. wind from the west, and only a thin layer at the horizon (east) with no clouds. did 3 flights of about 10 minutes each, and on the 3rd the sun showed, and suddenly all the clouds disappeared. just like that! clear sky! never saw any thing like this. no thermals, but no turbulence..and, yes, very humid. i flew my planes for about 2 hours, and the sky remained clear, but on my way home, when i paid attention to the sky, it was all clouded again. so it was sort of a window, but never saw a change so quick. perhaps comparable to the eye of a storm.
any input?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Aug 01, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,332 Posts
and another sudden change: fog

today went flying at dawn. did 6 flights until the sun raised. there was fog at ground level, up to 15 ft (5 meters), and above was clear and no wind.
all went well. until...on my 7th flight i climbed and cut motor and started to glide. then moskitos (yes, with k) decided to swarm on me and i got distracted for about 10 seconds. but when i tried to see my plane it was gone. fog had raised at the moment the sun raised too, and there was all around. so fast as i never have seen.
looked around but it was fog all over. put the plane in a spin, in hope that it would show, but at no avail. it should be nearby, but could not find it.
and 5 minutes later, the sky was clear again. not a single cloud or fog around. nice.
o well, i had plans to build a 2nd version of that plane anyway.
the only thing that occurs to me to avoid this is never take your eyes from your plane.
even if moskitos are diving on you en mass.
but it's hard to avoid them and keep controlling your plane...
by the way, as i was checking the readings on my telemetry (quanum) and noticed they were getting close to the limit, i was thinking that this would be the last flight.
i think the gremlins were listening to my thoughts...
i said somewhere in my blog that if you say that it is going to be your last flight, it will be. i should remember that.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 12:05 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
114 Posts
After I started flying helicopters I bought a mosquito net for my face. They are only a couple dollars and when those punks are out in full force I always put that thing over my head.
91awdTalon is online now Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2007
4,332 Posts
new breed of bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91awdTalon View Post
After I started flying helicopters I bought a mosquito net for my face. They are only a couple dollars and when those punks are out in full force I always put that thing over my head.
that sounds great for your needs.
i have tried it too, but in my case, as i fly sailplanes, that go as high as the moon and speck-barely can be seen with the naked eye-the net makes the plane invisible. even a clear plastic shield, like those used for dust protection, distort the view and get foggy so you loose the plane. and today 2 moskitos got me in the face through the small opening for the eyes of the pillow cover that i wear on my head , even if i spray myself and my clothes with 'off'-the bugs repelent-that worked before. this year they are mutating and pierce my clothes, even if i wear double everything. never before they could do that. but still i have to fly my planes!
fun!
Old Aug 03, 2013, 04:46 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
114 Posts
Well then the only other thing I could suggest is a thermacell, but those are expensive operate.
91awdTalon is online now Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:48 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
782 Posts
Talking about weird things while flying, just yesterday while my sailplane was on a awesome thermal, very high up in the sky, a red wasp got trapped in my hair and when I tried to remove it I got stung on my finger. What an awful pain!!!!
I was luck enough to have a friend of mine who helped me to bring the plane down while I was dealing with the situation. LOL
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella