HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
Grain Valley, MO
Joined Aug 2007
168 Posts
Maybe one day in a firmware update, we will be able to turn battery heater on and off.

Wally
Wallyfingers is offline Find More Posts by Wallyfingers
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:19 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Here's a photo of another issue with my GoPro hero 3 Black... The camera runs hot! A few minutes after this photo was taken, the camera reached 145 degrees F - almost too hot to touch. Also note the camera was not even recording, but just sitting at the menu screen. This type of heat can't be normal, and it surely drained the camera battery like crazy. The battery only lasted about 20 minutes on a full charge.

Definitely something wrong with yours. I turned mine on and left it on the desk for about 15 min. Still room temperature.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Here's a photo of another issue with my GoPro hero 3 Black... The camera runs hot! A few minutes after this photo was taken, the camera reached 145 degrees F - almost too hot to touch. Also note the camera was not even recording, but just sitting at the menu screen. This type of heat can't be normal, and it surely drained the camera battery like crazy. The battery only lasted about 20 minutes on a full charge.

same here, gets so hot just sitting there. i did get a answer from support

"The HERO3: Black Edition has an average battery life of 1.5hrs, depending on which resolution you're filming in. "
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 & KK2.1.5 CPPM with EZUHF
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
my transcend 16 gig class 10 card has been working great and i can record until it is full.

the sandisk 32 gig class always stops recording after a minute or so.
latest firmware, tried formatting in camera and on computer, same result
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 & KK2.1.5 CPPM with EZUHF
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,771 Posts
The battery warmer never was an additional, powered heating element on previous cameras, it was just a piece of metal that brought the processor's heat to the battery compartment. It generates more than enough heat as it is.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:09 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
I just got lucky today, and ran into a GoPro employee at my LHS. He took my bad GoPro and gave me his good Hero 3 Black. He was very kind to help me out. Now, I'm a happy GoPro Hero 3 owner. It's amazing to see how a properly functioning camera actually works - the menus and everything seems to respond instantly. I didn't realize how screwy my camera was until I played with another.

You can't beat the personal support I got from GoPro today. ;-)

Cheers,
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:26 AM
Hovership
Joined Aug 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
I just got lucky today, and ran into a GoPro employee at my LHS. He took my bad GoPro and gave me his good Hero 3 Black. He was very kind to help me out. Now, I'm a happy GoPro Hero 3 owner. It's amazing to see how a properly functioning camera actually works - the menus and everything seems to respond instantly. I didn't realize how screwy my camera was until I played with another.

Cheers,
Jason
Glad you got it sorted. Other than menu crashes before the latest firmware, I have been lucky to not have issues with mine. Guessing there are some quality issues with the first batches getting rushed to the market.

Anyone still getting frozen cams or heat during idle should contact gopro and urge for a replacement. They replaced my hero2 due to a lens defect no questions. When they do respond I have found them quick to rectify issues.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Anyone else having the issue with 2.7k mode skipping frames with the new firmware? I checked my older footage with the previous footage - no skipping that I could see. Same SD card - SanDisk 32gh Class 10.

2.7k (protune off) is the only mode that I have seen this issue so far. It will skip about 0.5s worth of frame every 30 seconds or so (mostly random it seems)
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:50 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
779 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Silver edition. When video are 1.9gb the recored file when stopped and make a new file. The GoPro auto split the video is normal?

I have the lastest fiemware inside.
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,813 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,
Jason
Ooo...since you got the employee's GoPro, what firmware is it running? Maybe it's running something non-standard.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hovership
Joined Aug 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360 View Post
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Silver edition. When video are 1.9gb the recored file when stopped and make a new file. The GoPro auto split the video is normal?

I have the lastest fiemware inside.
Yes this is normal
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
Yes this is normal
Ok thanks
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabmadi View Post
With this you don't need the Gopro battery??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
Recommend the made GoPro USB-AV cable for a low price
http://store.fpvbox.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=56
No, it can supply the power for Silver GoPro 3 from BEC 5V
udoor is offline Find More Posts by udoor
Last edited by udoor; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
~~~~
udoor is offline Find More Posts by udoor
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Ooo...since you got the employee's GoPro, what firmware is it running? Maybe it's running something non-standard.
Nothing fancy, just 3.02.0.

BTW, I was able to shoot a single 1080 60fps video today for 50 minutes straight! The camera still had battery left and it was hot but still not nearly as hot as my old camera.

crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj