HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:29 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Discussion
Coast Guard Rescue Ship

My good friend, Tony Lombardo of Titusville, Florida gave me my 2nd RC Scale Electric Boat yesterday. According to Tony it is his very first "Kit" RC Boat and I must say Tony did a great job on it.

Length of Hull: 32 1/2 inches long
Width of Hull: 9 1/2 inches wide (Widest Point)

Power System: Upgrade 600 Brushed Motor in gearbox
-- Motor Pinion Gear Count: 18 (Brass Metal)
-- Gearbox Spur Gear Count: 38 (Nylon Composite Material)
-- Therefore, the motor has to turn 2.11 revolutions for each complete rotation of the Spur Gear (Propeller).

ESC: Traxxas XL-5 Brushed ESC with Reverse
Radio: Traxxas 27Mhz 2-Channel

Tony tells me the Kit resembles a US Coast Guard Rescue Ship and I performed a Google search and found this one:

Of course I have Video of today Test run at our Moon Port Modelers RC Club and it was fantastic Sunday morning with crystal calm water.

Here is Tony Lombardo's Picture when he had it with Brushless Power!!!

Sorry for the shaky Video! I was trying to Control the model while the Video camera!
Very Fist Test run of my Coast Guard Rescue Ship without any Motor Water Tubing Cooling. 10-07-2012 (2 min 0 sec)

Enjoy the Video (Pictures are being uploaded soon!):

Coast Guard Rescue Ship Test Run @ Moon Port Modelers RC Club 10-07-2012 (1 min 1 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:05 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Populating an empty Hull.

Okay, Tony Lombardo gave me this fine looking RC Electric Boat Satuday, 10-06-2012 and I wasted no time and went crazy going to the local Hobby Shops before they closed on Saturday and came home and performed an All Nighter (no sleep) and was able to finish the model for operation and test runs.

Here are a few pictures during the night in getting a large 600 size Brushed motor and Traxxas 15XL ESC inside the Model.

Terminator connectors, I decided to install 4mm Bullet Connectors to match up with the Traxxas XL-5 ESC.

Since the Traxxas XL-5 Brushed ESC is Air Cool with the Large Heat Sink, I made up a Lite Plywood Decking that sits inside the Control Bridge of the model for maximum Air Flow over the Heat Sink and it worked flawlessly!!!

I got really lucky as the ESC went in without any trimming of the side windows as this was the largest opening into the Control Bridge! You had to just be patient and in it went!

As a result of placing the ESC, the location of the Receiver was easy and used a plastic bag just in case water gets splashed on the unit as it is right at the window area!!!
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:16 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Initial Power System Setup

Of course, Tony did not realize that I was going to run the Boat using 3-Cell, 3700mAH, "25C Discharge" Li-POLY Batteries (Parallel) and the initial thoughts were nice and easy with Ni-MH's so, the model was retrofitted with the geared 600 brushed motor without any Coiled Cooling System.

Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:26 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Brushed Motor Water Coiled Cooling System

During the third run of the model at our Moon Port Modelers RC Club in Titusville, Florida and for additional Photo Shoot session, Tony gave me back the controls and I noticed the motor did not have the Punch it exhibited during gradual throttle run ups so, I brought it to shore quickly. Yeap, the motor was very HOT to the touch and you could not keep your fingers on it.

I disconnected everything and turned off the radio system and fortunately the motor did not exhibit the "Burn" Smell yet and I blew on it continuously (like if that was going to do anything....).

We went back to Tony's place and wasted no time and Tony once again exhibited the Master Builder that he is and quickly made up a new Motor Bracket such that will allow Coiled Water Cooling for the motor.

Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:59 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,015 Posts
This is very cool ...

How old is it ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
This is very cool ...

How old is it ?
I don't really know but, I can imagine at least 15 years old.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Pictures showing today's Action (Sunday, October 7, 2012)

Amazing RC Electric Boat, it really handles very well.

Fast and Faster!

Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Ground Speed

My next test run will be placing onboard my old but, reliable Garmin Geko GPS!

Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,450 Posts
Another beauty of an RC boat Carlos!!. I really like the scale looks on this one as well as on the PT boat.

Very nice of Tony to let you have it too!!.

Enjoy it!!.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
The Best Pic IMO!

Here is my favorite Pic!

Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:50 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano View Post
Another beauty of an RC boat Carlos!!. I really like the scale looks on this one as well as on the PT boat.

Very nice of Tony to let you have it too!!.

Enjoy it!!.

Gerry.
Gerry!

Thanks for coming over and posting, Sky Bro!

I had a blast at the Jackson Middle School and Flew my FlyZone SENSEI and brushless powered Slow Stick and everyone asked of you!

Even Mark S. flew over with his Ultra Lite Aircraft!!!

Hope you had a nice weekend!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:23 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
3rd Test Run with Coiled Water Cooling for Brushed Motor!

Tony Lombardo and his wife took me to a very nice Public Park in Titusville, Florida (Sand Point Park) and had park benches, picnic tables and a great view of the marina and Indian River!!

There were lots of birds and seems like cooler weather conditions are coming soon!

Here is another video showing the 3rd Test Run and testing the Coiled Water Cooling system for the Brushed motor.

In this run, I used quantity (2) of the Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs in parallel and made the model much more responsive to throttle as it was lighter!

Third (3rd) Test run of my Coast Guard Rescue Ship with Coiled Water Cooling for Brushed Motor 10-07-2012 (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
Great boat. Looks like the Dumas USCG Utility boat. I have always been interested in and wanted that model. Here is a thread with more info if you have not seen it yet. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590664
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:37 AM
New Zealand, Tasman, Motueka
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Thats a sweet moving boat, very nice.
GregSpooner is offline Find More Posts by GregSpooner
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:30 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Great boat. Looks like the Dumas USCG Utility boat. I have always been interested in and wanted that model. Here is a thread with more info if you have not seen it yet. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590664
Interesting!

However, Mr. Lombardo of Titusville, Florida is a Scratch Builder. He mostly can build a model ship just from a picture taken from a Marina Dock and from plans. I do not think this is a DUMAS.

For giggles and laughs, I took a look at MACK Products and does not seem to be selling the Kit that I acquired. There is a similar one but, Hull and Windows seem very different?

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/1214_cg_41_util_.htm
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:42 AM.