Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:50 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Discussion
Tower Hobbies Power Vee?

Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of trying to locate a boat that will be faster than my scale boats (Bristol Bay and Southampton Tug) but still get me a decent amount of run time. I don't need it to be several hours like on these scale boats, but 15 minutes or so would certainly be nice.

I have access to NiMH and LiPo 5000mah packs, so the battery pack is taken care of.

Does anyone have one of these Power Vee boats by Tower?? I've been searching and can't seem to find any opinions about them.

I don't want anything blazing fast...just 15 MPH or so would be pretty cool.

Any input on this boat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Last edited by Gimpdiggity; Sep 03, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
What info do you need?

Hull: Molded plastic with molded plastic chine rails along outer
edge of hull for reduced drag at higher speeds
Motor: 550-size with water-cooled jacket
Radio: Tower Hobbies 2-channel 27MHz AM pistol grip with adjustable
steering rate, servo reversing, battery status LED, charging jack
for optional NiCd batteries and throttle and steering trim
Electronic Speed Control: 30A with reverse
Boat Stand: Molded plastic, white in color
Warranty: Tower Hobbies will warrant the Tower Power Vee for 90 days
after the purchase from defects in materials or workmanship of
original manufacture. Tower Hobbies, at their option, will repair
or replace at no charge the incorrectly made part. This warranty
does not cover damage caused by crash, abuse, misuse, alteration or
accident.

Length: 25.5" (647mm)
Width: 9" (227mm)
Height: 5.5" (140mm)
Weight: 2lbs (903g)

It has a water-cooled 550 size motor(36 x 57) and can run on a 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo.

Looks to be about a 17-20 mph boat to me.

Tower Hobbies Power Vee EP RTR Boat (1 min 4 sec)
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:51 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I was just hoping to see if anyone had any first hand experience with it.

It seems like the price is a bit low for everything that it seems to come with. By comparison, a Traxxas Blast seems very similar, but is $60 more.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what makes the Tower boat so inexpensive compared to other products that seem to be about the same type of quality and components??

17-20 MPH would be plenty fast for what I'm looking for. Do you think it would have decent run time with a 5000mah battery, or would that be pushing it on heating up the electronics??

***EDIT***
Sorry, I just realized in my first post I said I couldn't find any information, I meant to put that I haven't been able to find any opinions on them.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,733 Posts
My brother has one, and it is a lot of fun. GPS'd at 20 mph on 2s lipo. He uses 2200 lipos and gets a good 10 minutes. This boat handles very well, can turn as sharp as you want and stays upright. Does cool 180's. There really isn't anything wrong with it unless you want to go faster, then you would have to replace motor and esc.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Awesome. That's the kind of thing I have been having trouble being able to find.

Thanks Foam!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Then you can upgrade it to a 35mph brushless boat down the road a bit when the speed bug bites..................
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Now I just need to decide if I would rather have a faster boat or a sailboat.

This one definitely costs me quite a bit less, and I could probably use it at the lake a bit more than the sailboat because it probably handles the wake from the 1:1 boats a bit better.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:58 PM
Electric since 1990
Joined Jun 2004
3,733 Posts
I enjoy my sailboats too but they sure aren't as fast.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I think the main problem I might have with a sailboat is where I'm using it. It's a pretty big lake. The wind doesn't generally create very big waves, even when it's blowing plenty...but the problem comes from the giant wakes left behind by the occasional $100,000 wakeboarding boat that passes by the dock.

The other day my Southampton looked like it was in the "Perfect Storm" the waves it was going through were so big. I'm not sure I would want to tackle those kind of conditions with a sailboat.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:50 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
I just found a video of one of these Power Vees jumping waves in what appears to be the ocean. Looks like it's doing really well.

I'm going to order one...if my work ever decides to process the paycheck that I was supposed to get last Thursday.

Our payroll office is right where Hurricane Isaac hit, so they had all the stuff entered early to get us paid on Thursday night, but here it is Monday night and I still don't have any money.

Oh well, it should be here soon enough.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:51 AM
Electric since 1990
Joined Jun 2004
3,733 Posts
I think you'll have lots of fun with it.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Jan 2008
37 Posts
You can sometimes get good deals on scratch&dent models at towerhobbies if you're a member. I got one for $45 and the other for $55 last year.
rabosi is online now Find More Posts by rabosi
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
One small mod you can look into on the Power Vee is a new prop. Measure the diameter of the stock prop and find one in an Octura berylium if it will fit the shaft..........which you will also need to know the diameter of. I would recommend to get the same diameter prop in an Octura 4 series as it will increase speed with the greater efficiency of a razor sharp edge as well as having zero flex in the blades compared to the stock plastic(i guess) which will flatten under load.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:51 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
I think the main problem I might have with a sailboat is where I'm using it. It's a pretty big lake. The wind doesn't generally create very big waves, even when it's blowing plenty...but the problem comes from the giant wakes left behind by the occasional $100,000 wakeboarding boat that passes by the dock.

The other day my Southampton looked like it was in the "Perfect Storm" the waves it was going through were so big. I'm not sure I would want to tackle those kind of conditions with a sailboat.
The epic 23v is only 80 thou, and what a boat it is! What lake are you on?
If you do choose to upgrade to a beryllium or SS prop, you HAVE to sharpen and balance it. You can buy a sharpened/ balanced prop or get someone to do it for you, but nothing makes you care about your boat like spending a few hours over evey prop you put on.
With the venom boat, you're paying for brand, they are a little bit pricey and it's not worth the extra money.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:36 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
The epic 23v is only 80 thou, and what a boat it is! What lake are you on?
Doing my boating and RC boating at Clark Lake in southern/mid Michigan. Most of the guys running ski boats are using Mastercrafts here, and they all seem to have X series boats.

That Epic is an amazing machine though...I'm in love with the bajillion speaker sound system mounted on the transom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy
If you do choose to upgrade to a beryllium or SS prop, you HAVE to sharpen and balance it. You can buy a sharpened/ balanced prop or get someone to do it for you, but nothing makes you care about your boat like spending a few hours over evey prop you put on.
With the venom boat, you're paying for brand, they are a little bit pricey and it's not worth the extra money.
Is sharpening and balancing them a hard process?? Or something that just takes a bit of time to learn?