View Poll Results: Do you want this forum
Yes 71 84.52%
No 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
89 Posts
I think the new forum should allow laser cut parts but not the discussion of, how to and where because if we did those discussions, they would belong in the builder’s workshop which would be essentially duplicating the old forum.
scallopking is offline Find More Posts by scallopking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Just got an e-mail from a strong opinioned individual whose sentiments lie as follows: You tell me how to do it,-I'll decide WHAT to do ! An eclectic build with him,is perfectly okay.

Maybe I went overboard on the limits.'Way back at the beginning I stated that my impression of a scratch build was a project you made as much of as you could do without"outside interference" I allowed as to how you didn't have to make your own engine,or landing gears,tanks,pushrods and hinges etc.

That still holds true-I want to build balsa and plywood cowls,he wants to buy fiberglass ones.I want to pull my own canopies,he wants to buy 'em..Okay-in the forum,we're going to show you how to make the parts,if you want....But if you want to buy bolt-ons,that's cool also.-Laser cut parts included.

Well-this is just getting easier !
Indeed. The more that the topic is investigated, the more apparent it becomes that the forum for these builds - if people do not want to put them into the multitude of aircraft type/function forums that are dedicated to such builds - is the existing forum for building, namely The Builder's Workshop.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
I agree its still scratch built if you order laser cut parts ,they dont order or glue their self's in . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:23 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Indeed. The more that the topic is investigated, the more apparent it becomes that the forum for these builds - if people do not want to put them into the multitude of aircraft type/function forums that are dedicated to such builds - is the existing forum for building, namely The Builder's Workshop.
Who's investigating us ? You .lmao joe
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
I must be learning-I'm being asked to stand alone now.
A recent comment piqued my interest.-About how the front office could advance forum approval if they wished..I immediately squelched the impulse to ask.....No....we'll play by the rules, we are not in any hurry.As I said previously,we won't apply with just 50 yes votes,but with enough to convince th
e administrators this is a good idea.
I'm going to spend some time surfing,determining just how long it takes to navigate to a certain address.,and go several places to get a feel for the "difficulties" of finding information.

I'm a 'newbie'-I've been told as much,often-as if that's a detriment-but fresh ideas can foster great changes.
I'm assuming that the application contains space to present your case,and your goals you hope to accomplish.The administrators haven't set a high bar,so it seems they're receptive to requests for space.

I'm not one to say" but they have theirs!" We'll present our case in an orderly fashion and see what their reaction is.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:27 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Who's investigating us ? You .lmao joe
The topic is being investigated.

What started as a "balsa and lite ply only" forum proposal has morphed into a "balsa, lite ply, any form of hardwood, foam for blanks, fibreglass and any other bits that need to be added on" builder's forum. In other words, The Builder's Workshop.

Now, what was I saying about not making this personal? :
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
Kingconsulting-sorry- consider this as my just receiving a swift kick.!

Yes is my vote too (flexible boundaries)we're going to consider it a scratch build,with outside help,if you desire.
Building from plans will be loosely defined as "Scratch-building"..

This is going to be fun ! cbarnes0061.You're doing exactly what we intend to do.Share and explain.
Personally,I'm going to build a Balsa and Plywood cowl for my 1/3 Scale Fairchild now..The foam idea is no more !-But you can use a fiberglass one,and it's still cool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
There's been no "morphing"-theres been no DECISION !
This is a discussion,laying ground rules for what will be presented to the admins,as a forum request.

Joe -please be good ! The admins can see this-the admins can see everything-do you get my drift?-just one vote is only concerning you...We're on our way-don't get benched.

Desperation leads to bad choices-we are not desperate...We're adding new yesses daily.....Straighten UP !.

Don't be enticed into suspension-thats one of their tools.

The 'straw poll',unofficial or not ,hovers at 75%...those will be the same percentages we'll be looking for when the administrators run their own...just be here for that vote,also.This "poll" is just to make it easy to see where we are.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Jun 09, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
773 Posts
Well since it's show and tell I guess here is mine. My first build I decided to do it from plans. Every part I hand cut from balsa or ply. I'm almost done but finding the final touches slow me down along with life etc. I need to take some more recent photos but you get the idea.

Doing this has been very rewarding. Now my son is talking about scratch building something. He already has a balsa cub kit ready to go once I finish this.

Nothing against foamies or arf's as I have both but those are just place holders or something fun to fly until I get my balsa stuff built.

The builders workshop is great but it was hard to find info I needed. Besides Builders Workshop? That is about the workshop itself right? Tools etc.

I learned from a friend here what shear webs are. Making sure they go the right way (after putting them the wrong way). There are just so many tips to learn from building with balsa that I think it would get more people interested and building.

Robert
kingconsulting is online now Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
I like the color combination...Doesn't it just look like something a person built,and not a factory? Niiicce..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Quote:
This is a discussion,laying ground rules for what will be presented to the admins,as a forum request.
Which is what has morphed, through discussion, and the realisation having started to think it through, from the proposal in the OP. Like I said, the only possible, arguable, points of differentiation of the proposed forum from the exisiting Builder's Workshop forum have evaporated during these discussion. You yourself have listed several different building materials and techniques which were not included in the original proposal.

Quote:
Joe -please be good ! The admins can see this-the admins can see everything-do you get my drift?-just one vote is only concerning you...We're on our way-don't get benched.

Desperation leads to bad choices-we are not desperate...We're adding new yesses daily.....Straighten UP !.

Nobody is enticing anybody into suspension. I've cautioned several times against breaking the forum rules and making this issue personal. It has been demonstrated numerous times that doing so is completelly counter-productive. The reaction against any contrary opinion to the proposals in these discussions typically does much more harm than good.

The flying wings forum proposal is a case in point. If the proponents of that forum proposal would have just accepted the the right of other posters to not all agree with the proposal and not indulged in personal attacks and breaching the forum rules, then the chances are that the flying wing forum would have been created long before it actually did limp over the finishing line.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:

The 'straw poll',unofficial or not ,hovers at 75%...those will be the same percentages we'll be looking for when the administrators run their own...just be here for that vote,also.This "poll" is just to make it easy to see where we are.
Iam being good ,when iam being bad most will know it. I will hit the ignor button on him ,i think its the only way for him to go away. joe
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
533 Posts
More pics got the front half glued clamped and drying. next i will install all cross bracing in the front half and get the wing tube glued and will be on the pulling the back half together and then on to the assembly of the turtle deck. HAHA I said Turtle, The things that humor you when you have been up for 20 hours, I'm going to sleep.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,561 Posts
Joe.that may be an option,but I won't recommend it....with each bit of information,we're getting smarter.We have not submitted a proposal yet ,so it can't be screwed up !They can't answer until we ask.

Once we get the 'act' together,we,and they will know what we're going to do.Ignoring the help of any individual is not wise.

If the straw poll is premature,all votes are void,so no sweat there.
We aren't "modifying" anything yet-nothing's cast we're just planning a well worded proposal to present.

The rules protect all our rights,so we need to follow the rules.Being accused of not knowing what we're doing just inspires me to learn more..I don't know it all,but I'll soon know enough !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Earl you wont recomend WHAT ? I said i would ignor him and you keep bringing it up . There are plenty of rights and one of them is to not roll over and take it . Just drop it EARL . joe
Closed Thread