HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Yeah, I haven't bothered setting the throws yet. It's set mechanically to have the least amount of throw possible, and the most amount of torque from the servo to the stab for flutter control. It's very solid when powered up.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Painted! Decals on! We're in the home stretch. The paint turned out... okay. I used Krylon, which I have used with very good results in the past, however the black really shows any surface texture. The paint seems to have created its own stippled texture, which isn't really that bad. I also managed to make a few drips on my first coats, I sanded them down for the second set of coats but a few are still visible. I am 75% happy with the results.

The decals are from Callie Graphics, and they are good as well. The fit is perfect, however Callie took some liberties with some of the details. Not a big deal. Overall, the effect of the black colour and the decals is very nice. It looks awesome and it should be fairly visible (not that I have found that really matters at 125mph).

Behold:

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,950 Posts
That is a whole bunch of awesomeness wrapped up in a jet-like shape!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Thanks man! Let's hope it flies as well as it looks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky View Post
That is a whole bunch of awesomeness wrapped up in a jet-like shape!

yeah, what he said. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:19 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Thanks Rich!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I actually like the paint. an airplane shouldn't look perfect anyway. it's character.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
I think it would have looked much better with panel lines. I did them on my Silver Shark T-33 and my Mirage and they looked great. I decided not to do them on the Hawk because the panels on the Hawk wing are quite complex and I don't really have the time for that right now. The relatively clean, blank black wing does highlight the many flaws that I created, however the overall effect of the jet is exactly what I was looking for!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Okay, I got a lot of work done on the Hawk this weekend. It's 98.4% complete, just waiting for a few servo extensions so I can finish things up. Thanks, Frank.

The retracts were a bit fiddly, but that's always the case so I'm not too concerned. I was worried that the wheels would be too close to the CG - they're not very far behind, but enough that the tail won't drop. The nose might be a bit bouncy, and I don't have much room to move the CG back if I want to.

The retracts seem to work very well for a $35 set - at 80psi I get five cycles, and it's spring down so if I try for six and run out of air, I can always drop them. Nice. I put a 1/8" wheel collar over the air line before it splits to the different wheels and tightened the grub screw down until I got the retract speed that I wanted, the transit is now 3 or so seconds up or down. Without it, they snapped in a very un-scale like way.

My landing light worked out very well - the bright white LED is mounted a bit recessed into the nose, behind some clear plastic from a 2 litre pop bottle bottom, making a nice lens. The light is quite visible from the sides, but very bright head on. Should look great in the air.

There is definitely a lot of space in this jet. My Mirage and T-33 are quite tight when it comes to batteries, in the Hawk I could put it in with two hands. It almost looks lost in there.

The weight doesn't feel too bad, a bit more than my T-33. I don't have a scale here. There is a fair amount of (scale) wing area, not to mention the wid-ish fuselage which should help generate some lift.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
902 Posts
Nice scheme. The bottom should show well. I found a nice scheme earlier this year to repaint my HK foam Hawk. It is for the Centennial of Naval flight in the US in which they re-painted two Hawks.
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Thanks! The top should be the least visible orientation, but I should be able to see the canopy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Krylon has changed their formula for the worse. I have been using it for 30+ years and have never had a problem with it until now. That's in California anyways. My guess is the E.P.A.
You can still get the old formula (now called industrial) at some larger supply stores. I would get it at Granger but they have discontinued it so I'm up in the air.

Jet looks great!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Thanks man!

I'm actually pretty happy with the paint now that I have the decals on - it distracts the beholder from my many mistakes

I'll have to look for other paints for my next project.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:23 AM
Norway, Akershus, Frogner
Joined Jun 2010
920 Posts
Nice scemes!
Coenraad is offline Find More Posts by Coenraad
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Low rates are for wimps
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
Maiden Day!

Today was maiden day! The jet was all ready to go, retracts dialed in, CG set, rates programmed, nerves shaky - you know how it is.

I did some quick taxi tests to make sure it tracked straight and was controllable at high ground speeds - no worry. I used about 35% expo on the rudder which helped keep things straight with enough steering to be able to manoeuvre on the ramp.

There were a few concerns in my mind before I took off. First was the flying stab - did I set it up slop free? Could I have given any more mechanical advantage to the servo to prevent flutter? Would the stab start to flutter and destroy the model? Second were the flaps - the linkage set up loses authority at the land flap setting, so I was concerned about the wind causing split flaps (one down more than the other) and rolling me into the ground.

Time to put those thoughts aside - I did the best I could and the model feels solid - let's fly.

I lined it up, dropped half flaps and gave it full throttle. The jet accelerated nicely and lifted off after a short run. I put the gear up and retracted the flaps. One of the main gear legs got hung up halfway for about a minute or so, then decided to finish its retraction cycle. No biggie. A few clicks of left aileron and the jet was flying great! No bad habits, positive but not overly fast aileron and pitch control was appropriate (I started with mid-rates on the elevator - I normally don't use any low rates but I really didn't want to be stuck with way too much or way too little elevator). I didn't really try the rudder at all except on take-off. I tried full flaps at altitude, and the model did not immediately drop into a death spiral. Whew.

The model tracks very well. I was able to do some fast-ish passes (scale speed, not too bad, say 80-90mph) low with confidence. Great flyer!

So I figured it was time to come in and land - I had done a few circuits and some rolls and I was very happy with the results. I hit the retract switch, dropped some flap and turned onto final. No gear. Full throttle, flaps up and overshoot. I guess I'll have to belly land it - not a great option, but the best available.

But wait - new radio (DX8 from a DX7) has two switches there. Move my finger back a bit and the gear drops into place. Sweet! Turn to final and drop land flaps. I had mixed a bit of up elevator with the flaps - not very much but apparently too much, as the nose required the slightest amount of forward pressure to keep level. Not good. I kept the nose down, but not enough. Plus I didn't have very much power on, worrying about landing too far along and off the prepared surface. Six feet from the ground the jet stalled. POW! Into the ground.

Damage is limited almost exclusively to the right wing. It is a clean break at the wing root (not where the two wing halves meet, but where the right wing meets the fuselage). Very repairable - I'm thinking a couple of ply spars into the wing foam a couple of inches either way, glass on the wing and I should be able to make a nearly invisible repair.

The retracts came with 3mm wire - not music wire - which was very soft. That gave way on all three legs, bending 90 degrees in most cases. I think I'll replace all of those with 3mm motor shafts which should be much stronger.

I do have video of the flight - my hatcam was too high but I managed to see it a couple of times. Here is a pass that managed to get onto the camera:

Overall, the crash landing was a disappointment but the flight was a great success. A beautiful scale flyer!
RCG Plus Member