HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Jul 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Bushman View Post
Here's what a set looks like. The heli isn't attached in the second picture but you get the idea. I just use some small zip ties to attach.

Sounds like you are taking the right approach. If you were to just go out and try to put that thing in the air without any cp heli practice, it probably wouldn't end well.

buy some extra pairs of main blades and blade grips. For heli, can not learn anything if you don't crash it few times.
videonic is offline Find More Posts by videonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:41 PM
amo ludibria ventis
Joined Oct 2010
7,178 Posts
Saw Salam at HH picking up his Futaba tx today. That thing looks pretty sweet. It was funny, he needed an extension and the only brand they had was Spektrum. He decided to make his own.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Last edited by PontiusPilate; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,148 Posts
I don't agree that crashing is required to learn helis. Yes you need to push past your comfort level to learn new maneuvers (and I've been slow at that) but that doesn't mean crash; making mistakes and having a moment of panic will happen; as long as you have some altitude, don't freeze, and know all orientations cold you can recover.

Yeah I crashed micros dozens or hundreds of times - but mainly because they are unstable, hard to see, lack power, and most importantly fly like crap compared to bigger helis. I didn't crash my Trex 500 (my first collective pitch heli) until 75 flights into it - was practicing loops and rolls, got too far away and lost orientation, was still new enough that I couldn't regain composure and figure it out before i smashed the ground.

Mechanical and electrical problems are potentially more likely on a heli with so many more moving parts. Thorough pre flight checks are a must. An inflight failure is much less forgiving on a heli than on a plane.

All that being said, sure having some spares on hand will minimize down time. Any crash will almost for sure destroy main blades as Videonic said. Other likely parts to be damaged: main shaft, feathering shaft, main gear, tail boom, skids, servo gears.
Arcturus97 is online now Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Last edited by Arcturus97; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:43 PM
Sponsored by U.S Border Patrol
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus97 View Post
I don't agree that crashing is required to learn helis. Yes you need to push past your comfort level to learn new maneuvers (and I've been slow at that) but that doesn't mean crash; making mistakes and having a moment of panic will happen; as long as you have some altitude, don't freeze, and know all orientations cold you can recover.

Yeah I crashed micros dozens or hundreds of times - but mainly because they are unstable, hard to see, lack power, and most importantly fly like crap compared to bigger helis. I didn't crash my Trex 500 (my first collective pitch heli) until 75 flights into it - was practicing loops and rolls, got too far away and lost orientation, was still new enough that I couldn't regain composure and figure it out before i smashed the ground.

Mechanical and electrical problems are potentially more likely on a heli with so many more moving parts. Thorough pre flight checks are a must. An inflight failure is much less forgiving on a heli than on a plane.

All that being said, sure having some spares on hand will minimize down time. Any crash will almost for sure destroy main blades as Videonic said. Other likely parts to be damaged: main shaft, feathering shaft, main gear, tail boom, skids, servo gears.
You're getting really good at flipping that heli. I'm all charged up to fly at a school.
garyav16 is online now Find More Posts by garyav16
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:46 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyav16 View Post
You're getting really good at flipping that heli. I'm all charged up to fly at a school.
Thanks Gary - would love to join you at the school but I'm with my (almost) 2 year old daughter today while mom is out with my other two daughters at some girl scout event
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Gary - would love to join you at the school but I'm with my (almost) 2 year old daughter today while mom is out with my other two daughters at some girl scout event
Maybe tomorrow
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Maybe tomorrow
sounds good, give me an hour or two heads up so I can charge some batteries
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:28 PM
One more flight...
Joined Jan 2010
902 Posts
Quote:
What he said.

Simulator time is your friend when learning helis.

Let me know if the other training gear are not found, I still have mine.
CashD is offline Find More Posts by CashD
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Jul 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
I don't agree that crashing is required to learn helis. .

you can learn either ways how to fly or how to repair, replace the parts and setup the heli,
videonic is offline Find More Posts by videonic
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Quote:
sounds good, give me an hour or two heads up so I can charge some batteries
Will do. Just got back from running the dog with the stampede. Just started snowing.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:23 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Did you guys get your 14sg?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Jan 2010
6,296 Posts
Just emailed Neil to try and meet up so he can trim the carden. Also trying to get him here for the April event. If he's not doing anything for team futaba he may dazzle us during the freestyle.

CAPI Freestyle (2 min 53 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Did you guys get your 14sg?
I picked mine today.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
Saw Salam at HH picking up his Futaba tx today. That thing looks pretty sweet. It was funny, he needed an extension and the only brand they had was Spektrum. He decided to make his own.
It was nice seeing you.

I needed male/male short length servo extensions and man, those were $7 a piece and they were Spektrum. I will make my own from dozen of extension wires I have.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
Retreating Blade Stall
Joined Apr 2011
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
It was nice seeing you.

I needed male/male short length servo extensions and man, those were $7 a piece and they were Spektrum. I will make my own from dozen of extension wires I have.
Salam, I have 9 short male to male extensions. You are welcome to some v