I wonder if this miniusb power supply can be used with this cam:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...C=SO&U=strat15
toxi is offline Find More Posts by toxi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
13 Posts
Quote:
" yes, can be recording and the charge at the same time , the package is come with car charge, as the car charge is special for our HD camera. other car charge will useless。 actually, the car charge just like the power supply."

That sounds much like the charger for my JAZZ HDV178 camera... it will only charge if I use the wall wart cable that came with it, or a PC USB port. And that suggests to me the USB data lines are being utilized somehow during a charge, not just the +5V. So, just a guess at this point, but to use external power other than their car charger, you'll need to bypass the USB connection and go straight to the circuit board battery connections. This has been done successfully with the original 808key cam (details in the chucklohr.com site). BUT, the old key cam used a small lipo charging circuit on the battery to bracket the voltage for the internal lipo, and the new HD key cam appears to have a small IC on the circuit board to do this. So, some experimentation will be needed to see what can and can't be done to power the camera from an external battery source.
Does that suggest that the only way to record from another source tan the battery is via the car charger? Or is there some way to operate the camera from the mains, perhaps a 5v usb charger with a regular->mini usb cable connected or one as linked in the post above? I've heard that some mp3 players also utilise the other strands to a usb cable when charging... maybe one of those would work.

If anyone can test the above it would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to buy a 32gb microsd card once I've got my camera and tested it, will report back if the 32gb card works or not.
Jiffy82517 is offline Find More Posts by Jiffy82517
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:31 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy82517 View Post
Does that suggest that the only way to record from another source tan the battery is via the car charger? Or is there some way to operate the camera from the mains, perhaps a 5v usb charger with a regular->mini usb cable connected or one as linked in the post above? I've heard that some mp3 players also utilise the other strands to a usb cable when charging... maybe one of those would work.

If anyone can test the above it would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to buy a 32gb microsd card once I've got my camera and tested it, will report back if the 32gb card works or not.
A cell phone mini USB wall wart charger will not charge my JAZZ camera, and I'm guessing the same will be true based on what the vendor said in my prior post.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
Darn . It was sure interesting while it lasted

Glad you got it figured out.

Yabba

Yabba,

Yes, I, too, am glad it worked. Too bad the show is over.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 08:43 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yabba,

Yes, I, too, am glad it worked. Too bad the show is over.

Bill
Yeah Bill, couldn't you have dragged it out another day or two? Lot of good folks emptying their brain out in a short period of time with a lot of good info.
Ah well. Maybe next time.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yeah Bill, couldn't you have dragged it out another day or two? Lot of good folks emptying their brain out in a short period of time with a lot of good info.
Ah well. Maybe next time.

Gene,

Yes, it's a shame. Especially yesterday I feel sure a few of us were "celebrating" and helping out on problem made it more of challenge.

As background I was being confounded by recent changes in what I am using for a laptop. I had been using a Sony XP based 32 bit laptop that I knew quite well. That has changed. I spent too much of my holiday time setting up and learning a new HP I7 quad core 64 bit laptop I just bought. It came with Windows 7 and IE8 Explorer. So I am on a learning curve with a new operating system and to make matters worse, a new security program. With XP and the previous security program I was familiar with their quirks. Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP. So, that had be wondering if somehow W7 or the security program was inhibiting execution of the BIN file.

Thank goodness the problem was solved.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:27 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
Gene,

Yes, it's a shame. Especially yesterday I feel sure a few of us were "celebrating" and helping out on problem made it more of challenge.

As background I was being confounded by recent changes in what I am using for a laptop. I had been using a Sony XP based 32 bit laptop that I knew quite well. That has changed. I spent too much of my holiday time setting up and learning a new HP I7 quad core 64 bit laptop I just bought. It came with Windows 7 and IE8 Explorer. So I am on a learning curve with a new operating system and to make matters worse, a new security program. With XP and the previous security program I was familiar with their quirks. Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP. So, that had be wondering if somehow W7 or the security program was inhibiting execution of the BIN file.

Thank goodness the problem was solved.

Bill
On the plus side, you can now download the Windows Live Movie Maker (part of Windows Live Essentials package), and at least you can directly import and do some reasonable editing of the .MOV files from your HD key cam. You'll find that version of MM quite different from the old XP version, too.as well.

I also bagged my purchased security software in lieu of a little known free security package from MS, called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is FAR less of a processor hog and much less intrusive to interferring with everything you do than others I've used (McAffee, Norton, etc.).
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Windows 7 Home Premium treats the user like a threat and by default locks the user, even as an adminstrator, out of tasks that were routine in XP.
When I bought a new laptop recently, I specifically ordered one with XP instead of W7, which I despise. I guess M$ must get their tribute by forcing PC users to move to a new OS every few years. XP support will end in 2014. Personally, I would have never left W2000 if support had continued for it.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
On the plus side, you can now download the Windows Live Movie Maker (part of Windows Live Essentials package), and at least you can directly import and do some reasonable editing of the .MOV files from your HD key cam. You'll find that version of MM quite different from the old XP version, too.as well.

I also bagged my purchased security software in lieu of a little known free security package from MS, called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is FAR less of a processor hog and much less intrusive to interferring with everything you do than others I've used (McAffee, Norton, etc.).
Tom,

I installed Windows Live Movie Maker from the start. This HP also came with Corel Video Studio X3 Pro. Both are reasonably equipped and not as convoluted as Adobe Premiere Elements I have used on my other machine.

For security software I opted to use the $2 a month F Secure that I can run on three of my home PCs simultaneously. I got tired of paying $40 per machine to renew. F Secure doesn't seem to be much of a resource hog. However, one of the updates shut me out of using my Slingplayer. I will spare you the details but it took a tech support call forwarded to Malaysia to solve that problem. Any more problems and I may look into Microsoft Security Essentials. I hate NORTON. It came pre loaded on this machine as a free trial and it stole too much of my time removing all traces of Symantec programs. How much is MS Security Essentials program?

Bill

EDIT: I see, you said it is free.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:14 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,314 Posts
The first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean it off and do a basic install of the OS with drivers, and my choice of software. The new ones come pre-loaded with too much advertising for the companies that want you to buy the most. It's a deal between them and the major manufacturers, and is commonplace now. Has been for a while. The one that gets me the worst is Norton's security suites. It's a HUGE resource hog and sucks and what it was designed for. The only thing it will do predictably is remind you to pay for a license if you want to keep using it...

On a similar note, I have not tried the MM that's part of Windows 7, although I've had 7 on two machines here for quite some time now! I may have to poke around and see what it's got just for fun. I personally prefer Corel Video Studio Pro and Cyberlink Power Director when I'm working with HD h.264 video. I always like trying new things though...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
The first thing I do when I get a new PC is clean it off and do a basic install of the OS with drivers, and my choice of software. The new ones come pre-loaded with too much advertising for the companies that want you to buy the most. It's a deal between them and the major manufacturers, and is commonplace now. Has been for a while. The one that gets me the worst is Norton's security suites. It's a HUGE resource hog and sucks and what it was designed for. The only thing it will do predictably is remind you to pay for a license if you want to keep using it...

On a similar note, I have not tried the MM that's part of Windows 7, although I've had 7 on two machines here for quite some time now! I may have to poke around and see what it's got just for fun. I personally prefer Corel Video Studio Pro and Cyberlink Power Director when I'm working with HD h.264 video. I always like trying new things though...
Keith,

I am with you on Norton. It's a resouce hog and license to keep giving them $40 a year. I have deleted the bloatware on this new laptop. Now I am pondering Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 freeware.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:45 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought! I suspect before all this is over, someone else with an early release camera will try the conversion and you will not be the only one.
I keep getting tempted but then I remember I got one of the first cameras. So, even tho I really really dislike the timestamp, I really really like my camera. So, discretion may be the better part of Valor but....it is tempting.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
16,612 Posts
Quote:
I keep getting tempted but then I remember I got one of the first cameras. So, even tho I really really dislike the timestamp, I really really like my camera. So, discretion may be the better part of Valor but....it is tempting.

Yabba
With with free AVI_Demux editor it's possible to do a crop and expand, sharpen, etc. profile similar to the ones I developed for Vdub. Results are similar to Vdub, but your over all image is much larger, of course.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:02 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:

Yabba
pffft no guts no glory
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Quote:
With with free AVI_Demux editor it's possible to do a crop and expand, sharpen, etc. profile similar to the ones I developed for Vdub. Results are similar to Vdub, but your over all image is much larger, of course.
Tom,

Do you have a link to AVI Demux?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread