HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:22 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Question
Which is better for grass field pz t 28 or pz p51d bl

Hey i live by a big grass field and i want a warbird that can land on grass.

What do you guys suggest? By the way i can mow the field.
friz is offline Find More Posts by friz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:30 PM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
You want to land on wheels on grass? Then the T-28 is your plane. I'd upgrade the wheels to 2 1/4" and you'll have an easier time (even then you may bust a gear if the terrain is rough). BUT, the P-51 doesn't have landing gear at all. That plane gets hand launched and belly landed. If your gonna do that, they're all good. Honestly, don't mow it, and belly land. You can pick which ever you like the best..... They'll all belly land.
fallujah03 is offline Find More Posts by fallujah03
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Depends if if you want landing gear on, or belly landing. The T-28 gives you the option. The P-51 is a belly lander, which works for all grass fields.
The T-28 is a tricycle landing gear, which is pretty forgiving compared to a tail dragger, which if you modded your P-51 to have gear, it would be a tail dragger. These will flip over onto the nose much easier than a tricycle landing gear.
If hand launching and belly landing is ok, the mustang will be easier to land and would be a great choice.
I believe the consensus is that the T-28 is easier to fly however. But both are exceptional flyers in general.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:38 PM
If it flys it can die!
Texas
Joined Oct 2009
892 Posts
My grass field is too rough for landing gear so my planes are belly landers. Gotta say the Mustang has always been easy to land and I have yet to botch one or flip the plane and I am a COMPLETE n00b. My Corsair is even easier to land and can go much slower which helps eliminate wing dents. Plus since it lands on its wing pans its smoother. The P-512 has to be perfectly level cause its wings are too high to touch the ground.
LaserSVT is offline Find More Posts by LaserSVT
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Thanks for the responses im also worried that if i made the t 28 a belly lander that i would damage the aileron servos.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Thanks for the responses im also worried that if i made the t 28 a belly lander that i would damage the aileron servos.
The Mustang's servos would be no different. You can add some type of shield/cover over the servo horn to protect them.

If your grass field is mowed to residential looking heights either plane would do fine. If the grass remains rather tall then wheels will be out, so the Mustang as is or remove the gear from the T-28. They look SO much better without their chicken legs hanging down anyway!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Great you guys have answered my question in an evening. I just have one question for fallujah03 where should i buy the 2 1/4 inch wheels from.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:48 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,938 Posts
Just a note of caution on the T28 nose gear. I could not get mine to stay aligned and it was a general PITA. So much so that the T28 is now a tail dragger. Of course, I had to relocate main gear fwd. This was flying off astroturf / running track surfaces. So I do not think it will do well on grass. I'd just get the P-51. Otherwise, the T28 is one sweet flyer and an incredibly tough airplane.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Just a note of caution on the T28 nose gear. I could not get mine to stay aligned and it was a general PITA. So much so that the T28 is now a tail dragger. Of course, I had to relocate main gear fwd. This was flying off astroturf / running track surfaces. So I do not think it will do well on grass. I'd just get the P-51. Otherwise, the T28 is one sweet flyer and an incredibly tough airplane.
Yea im already having trouble with that but its not to bad realigning, its just very annoying. I think ill go with the t 28 belly landing and get the mustang later!
Last edited by friz; Mar 23, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:49 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
does anyone know of a good way to shield the t 28d aileron servos
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:27 PM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
What do you mean realigning? I've never had to realign anything on the nose gear...... except for the time I tried to land on snow with wheels, and the front gear broke through the fire wall and travelled halfway to the wing..... If that happens, don't waste your time with CA. Go to 30 min epoxy (30 min is strongest), rough up the plastic with sandpaper, and use plastic from food containers as back braces and the such. Be careful not to glue the little steering gear. I fixed that a long time ago and have not had any issues. I believe that it is stronger than it was originally. Picked up the wheels at Local Hobby Shop.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:37 AM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Love the paint job you did to the plane!!!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,256 Posts
Quote:
does anyone know of a good way to shield the t 28d aileron servos
These Hobby City wing skids should work for you. You could also try this Hobby Lobby tail skid
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
VA
Joined Feb 2009
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
These Hobby City wing skids should work for you. You could also try this Hobby Lobby tail skid
Great thanks lardog looks perfect
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:41 PM
Everyone's got a plan...
NYer in Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2010
577 Posts
Quote:
Love the paint job you did to the plane!!!
Thanks. I only sprayed the cowl "chrome" and put yellow stripes on the wing tips for visibility. The T-28D is easy to lose in a grey sky. I did the decals on Testors decal paper. Made the tree hugger decal on paint shop. I crashed the plane into a tree on maiden, thus the name and flaming tree.

I went with the French markings 'cause the French armed the T-28s to bomb the Algerians. The US used them as trainers. Mine has a bomb release servo in the wing.