New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
Joined Dec 2014
361 Posts
Help!
what foam is this?

After a long search for foamboard for a scratchbuilt plane, I finally found a supplier, They are fairly inexpensive and I want to use them to make my first plane, I have attached pics, please state whether this is the infamous dollar tree foam or depron...... Thanks
NoLimitRC is online now Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
a few things would help,

Like Where you bought it?
The weight?
how easy does the paper come off?

It looks a bit funky, as in pic 2, you can clearly see a seem running through the middle of the foam.
and plus, its pink. not white. (I dont live in the US, im UK) i think DTFB only comes in white i believe (from what ive seen)
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,406 Posts
No limit, from what i can see it doesn't look like beadboard, which is the least desireable foam (although for guys who can only get it, they make do and produce some nice planes which only reinforces the "use what ya got".) If it is DTF, it will have a sticker on one side like shown.
More info will help. Where are you located, where did you get the foam, and how big and thick is the sheet? Os there paper or plastic film on one or both sides?
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: even more indoor stuff!
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
Certainly not Depron as Depron does not have paper attached to it.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
Joined Dec 2014
361 Posts
It has no name on its barcode, but it says Paper-FoamBoard, I found it in a stationary shop,it is available in several colors, I live in the UAE, So chances of me finding a good material is pretty low, If I am not mistaken the foam board is around 4-6mm without the paper.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Krashlnd
Who Put that Tree There?
Athens, Tennessee
Joined Jun 2003
510 Posts
This is the same foam board that Hobby Lobby craft stores sell. Its good for plane making. Looks like you bought the tri-fold style which is used for art displays. It is double layered to make somewhere around 6mm. I have split them using a hot wire foam cutter set to 3mm. Only problem is the glue in the center tends to remelt and glue the foam back together.
Krashlnd is offline Find More Posts by Krashlnd
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2014
361 Posts
So is it as good as dollar tree foam board, will it be good enough after covering with packing tape?
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
The only thing i can say, is watch for weight, I know my foam (westfoam) is around 250g per sheet (A1) and DTF is around 180 (please correct if wrong)

If it is on the heavier side then you will be better off removing some of the paper on parts that dont need the extra strength,

I have built 4 Flite Test planes, and all fly great, but i have had to remove paper sections to get the weight under control

Tony.
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,406 Posts
Adams readiboard (aka DTF) is almost exactly 4 oz per sheet and almost exactly half of that is paper. That is the reason, Flitetest plans and directions notwithstanding, I remove all paper all the time. Here in south east Michigan, it will come off all by itself without any encouragement. The only thing holding the kraft paper to the foam are paper fibers embedded in the foam when it is applied. With paper off, the foam can be curved and rolled into lots of neat shapes.

Nolimit, try peeling the paper off from a corner. If it comes off easily, it is best to go ahead and remove it. If it is hard to peel, then it may be worth leaving on. Just remember "lighter fly's better"!
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2014
361 Posts
Oh ok, Thanks, I tried peeling it off, it comes off without a problem. The Max size I found was 100*70cm, the plane need 155*65cm.... Is there a probelm in using two foamsheets for just one part?
Old Today, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by rockin' roller
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2004
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitRC View Post
Oh ok, Thanks, I tried peeling it off, it comes off without a problem. The Max size I found was 100*70cm, the plane need 155*65cm.... Is there a probelm in using two foamsheets for just one part?
It shouldn't be a problem. you can edge-glue sheets together as necessary.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Today, 04:00 AM
Joined Dec 2014
361 Posts
Ok Thanks, BtW some people call it thermocol...
Old Today, 07:12 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,406 Posts
Thermocol... Sounds like the foam that guys from India have talked about as the only foam they can get. From what i recall of their posts on several threads, it is ok for foamies.

The paper on vs paper off controversy is like Pepsi vs Coke. Everyone has their preference, and reasons to pick it. But in the end they both work! We each have to try both and pick the way that works best for us.
RCG Plus Member