New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Lobojpm
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Help!
Budget Transmitter for APM 2.6 Ardupilot - also ESC question for newb build

Hello everyone! First, Let me tell you that I've learned a lot on here and I have been putting hours and hours in on my Hubsan x4 Clone, a JJRC H6C (and my Cheerson CX-10). Crashing, fixing, learning. Fun stuff and thanks for the info from the community.

Now I am just starting my first build. I just think the Hovership MHQ2 is awesome due to portability and re-printing parts, so that's what I'm going with. I'm getting the frame printed now, and have a couple of questions so I don't mess up my ordering... I'm trying to go budget wherever I can, while still keeping the door open for customization as I go. Want to start with a GoPro and LOS flying, then maybe add a small FPV cam down the road and play with the strengths of the Ardupilot.

Question 1:
Transmitter: So I'm thinking of using an APM 2.6 clone from Ebay as my FC (I heard they are decent) and like the idea of altitude hold, GPS hold, etc. I found the FlySky FS-i6 and it looks like a good price and I like the fact that I can add a telemetry receiver later, but with only 6 channels will I still be able to engage the abilities of the APM mentioned above, and maybe telemetry, and still have channels to fly the quad? I'm hoping yes for the price and I like the slim size.
Question 2:
I figure I'll start with a 3S battery and 5" props, and might need to go 4S later if I add more gear (FPV?). In that case, do you think the KV2200 motors and 20A ESC's below would work to start and with handle potential upgrades?
Here's my tentative list I created... please let me know if I am way off on anything. Much appreciated to all! Thanks, Lobojpm
  • Frame: Hovership MHQ2 (printing now, and buying $16 parts list from Hovership)
  • FC: APM2.6 ArduPilot Mega with GPS (Ebay: $57)
  • Motors: A2212 KV2200 (Aliexpress $8 each)
  • ESC: Generic SimonK 20A (Aliexpress $5 each)
  • Battery: ZIPPY Compact 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack (Amazon $8)
  • Props: Gemfan 5x4 5040 (Banggood $2.50 set of 4)
  • Battery Charger: Neewer B3 AC (Amazon $8)
  • Transmitter: FlySky FS-i6 with Receiver (Banggood $56)
Lobojpm is offline Find More Posts by Lobojpm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,118 Posts
I would at least bump that to a turnigy 9x or 9xr etc.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Feb 10, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
I would at least bump that to a turnigy 9x or 9xr etc.
Thanks Waterbound. What would you say is the main benefit of that bump? Mostly more channels or other features? You think it's worth giving up the Telemetry ability of that other one? Thanks again!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,118 Posts
you can have telemetry with 9x as well especially flashed with er9x which makes it extremely easy to program but paired with a frsky Rx and you will have great range plus ability to bind with other protocols with additional modules
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2015
11 Posts
Thank you again! Yes- it looks like that combo looks great. I'll want/need those channels too, in order to select flight modes on the APM.

I think I'll be going with a 9x or 9xr for sure. Not sure if my soldering skills are good enough to enable telemetry on the display, but I might give it a shot down the road.

Thanks again!!