Find More Posts by leenix66
Fly With Me FPV
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2005
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
I'm going to be setting it up for FPV.

Thanks for providing me some links! I shall do some more reading.

Cheers
Your AUW will go up once you've installed all your FPV gear (vtx, camera, OSD/AP, wiring harness etc.) so using a lower KV motor paired with a bigger and higher pitch prop is something you might consider. I highly recommend using the aluminum motor mount from SmallPartsCNC, it gives you the flexibility not only to swap motors easily but to be able to use bigger props. Reinforce the wing A heavy Bixler can easily snap the stock CF tube that came with it. I have a fairly new Bixler 2 built for FPV, I use it to test new fpv cameras, APs, 433 MHz systems and 5.8 GHz vtx and antennas. Its AUW is 1.35 kg carrying a 5000 mAh Zippy compact pack.

Bixler 2 FPV test flight: Hawkeye OpenLRS + MFD Autopilot (2 min 23 sec)

Bixler: More test flights, getting comfortable with Hawkeye UHF and MFD Autopilot (3 min 4 sec)
leenix66 is offline Find More Posts by leenix66
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2015, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by binlagin
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2013
422 Posts
Fantastic tips!

I indeed have the aluminium motor mount along with a few different motor/prop combos I will try once I get this bad boy up and running

Thanks!
binlagin is online now Find More Posts by binlagin
Old Apr 16, 2015, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Patchitagain
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
396 Posts
Definitely beef up the spar, especially if you are planning on using bigger batteries,.. I ran a solid length of cf inside the original one and secured it with Gorilla glue. Very stiff now..
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Apr 16, 2015, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by binlagin
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2013
422 Posts
I only have thicker CF spar that runs 85% the length of the original. I inserted the original through it, and then epoxy'd it inside.. the spar now is super stiff, should be sufficient!

I'm planning on running 3s @ 4400mah

The build comming along great! Just about to plug all my servo's into the APM to program

900mhz telemetry
1.3ghz fpv
433mhz ez uhf control

Can't wait to get this finished!
binlagin is online now Find More Posts by binlagin
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Patchitagain
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
396 Posts
Once dialed in, you'll find the airframe is very efficient.. I average about 230 mah/per mile, so with a 4000 3s, I can get about 14-15 miles with a small buffer
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Apr 16, 2015, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by Sudsy
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
I only have thicker CF spar that runs 85% the length of the original. I inserted the original through it, and then epoxy'd it inside.. the spar now is super stiff, should be sufficient!

I'm planning on running 3s @ 4400mah

The build comming along great! Just about to plug all my servo's into the APM to program

900mhz telemetry
1.3ghz fpv
433mhz ez uhf control

Can't wait to get this finished!
I bought a solid rod here:

http://www.rcfoam.com/

Sudsy

I bought
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy