HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:30 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Build Log

I am working on an active suspension setup for the traxxas slash 2wd for a school project. It works by using a servo at each corner to raise and lower each corner individually so you can change your ride height and have the car lean into corners. Currently it is being controlled by a dx6i and a separate v-tail mixer, but it is soon going to be controlled by an arduino and gyro to help keep it level, along with the stock 2.4ghz radio. The rear shock tower and front body post mount were modified in solidworks and 3d printed in PLA to support the servos. The servos are 37g EXI digital servos. Attached are pictures of the front and rear servo mounts. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions for improvements
Roedkill is offline Find More Posts by Roedkill
Last edited by Roedkill; Apr 14, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:47 AM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedkill View Post
I am working on an active suspension setup for the traxxas slash 2wd for a school project. It works by using a servo at each corner to raise and lower each corner individually so you can change your ride height and have the car lean into corners. Currently it is being controlled by a dx6i and a separate v-tail mixer, but it is soon going to be controlled by an arduino and gyro to help keep it level, along with the stock 2.4ghz radio. The rear shock tower and front body post mount were modified in solidworks and 3d printed in PLA to support the servos. The servos are 37g EXI digital servos. Attached are pictures of the front and rear servo mounts. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions for improvements.

Video of it in action: http://youtu.be/LDok0rOMV9E

Wow now that is wicked! Really nice work! That's a definite A+ school project...

Just a couple of things,
Is there any loss of traction when you enter the corner? Some weight on the outer wheels is always good.
How are you controlling the servos? Are they adjustable?
How heavy is the assembly?
How much does the battery last?
And wouldn't it have been easier to have used one servo?

Pretty nice work there...
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2013
147 Posts
Cool stuff man!
jhazz138 is online now Find More Posts by jhazz138
Last edited by jhazz138; Mar 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: edit
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
Wow now that is wicked! Really nice work! That's a definite A+ school project...

Just a couple of things,
Is there any loss of traction when you enter the corner? Some weight on the outer wheels is always good.
How are you controlling the servos? Are they adjustable?
How heavy is the assembly?
How much does the battery last?
And wouldn't it have been easier to have used one servo?

Pretty nice work there...
How much the car leans is adjustable, but I haven't done much testing with it because I don't want to break anything before we get the arduino and gyro working, so I don't know how the whole thing is going to affect the driving performance right now.

The servos are controlled by the throttle and rudder channels on my dx6i. From the receiver, both channels go into a v-tail mixer, and each output from the mixer has a Y-harness to control two servos. Raising the throttle raises the car, and the rudder makes the car lean. I also have the steering servo on the car mixed with the rudder, so the car leans when steering input is given.

Right now I am pretty limited on what I can adjust. I can adjust how much the car leans while turning with the mix settings on my radio, and I can trim the car to make it level, but can't trim out each servo individually or make each servo do exactly what I want. This is more of a proof of concept so we can move ahead with using an arduino to control it. With the gyro/arduino, it should also help prevent squatting on acceleration.

Each servo is 37 grams, and the shock towers are probably around ~10 grams each.

Battery life hasn't been tested, but I would assume a few minutes less than the usual run time. The battery right now is a 2s 5600mah lipo.

There are 4 servos used so each corner can be controlled independently of the others. The original idea was to have one servo on each shock tower (front/back) and have it either change ride height, or make the car lean. with 2 servos on each shock tower, it can do both.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 2013
147 Posts
You should market this as a kit when you get it worked out.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhazz138 View Post
You should market this as a kit when you get it worked out.
I don't know how well it will hold up to any sort of bashing, but that could be fixed with metal gear servos and injection molded or machined aluminum parts, which would make it pretty expensive. I can upload the CAD and STL files for 3d printing and a parts list to finish it if there is enough interest.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2013
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedkill View Post
I don't know how well it will hold up to any sort of bashing, but that could be fixed with metal gear servos and injection molded or machined aluminum parts, which would make it pretty expensive. I can upload the CAD and STL files for 3d printing and a parts list to finish it if there is enough interest.
I don't personaly have access to that kind of equipment but if you would be willing to put up more pics and some measurements I'm thinking maybe I could find shock towers rhat could be modified. This would be a cool project for next winter!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhazz138 View Post
I don't personaly have access to that kind of equipment but if you would be willing to put up more pics and some measurements I'm thinking maybe I could find shock towers rhat could be modified. This would be a cool project for next winter!
I attached some pictures of the parts I printed. The front mount just replaces the body post mount and not the shock tower itself. The rear shock tower is completely replaced and I used the same mounting points, but this version doesn't have any body post mounts. They might be added in a later version. The openings are just big enough for the servos. I tried to position the servos so that the shocks were mounted close to the stock mounting position.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,178 Posts
Nice idea. Would also by cool on a scale lowrider.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread