HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Rant
1:24 Tank Commanders scale ????

5 tanks and counting and every one came with a Tank Commander Figurine of a different size. Biggest-FOV T-34/85 to the smallest VS Panzer Commander + accessories. Which one is correct ? Or are the Tanks out of scale and this is for compensation ? Anyone have any ideas ?
Army Group Lodz is offline Find More Posts by Army Group Lodz
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2013, 03:18 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Group Lodz View Post
5 tanks and counting and every one came with a Tank Commander Figurine of a different size. Biggest-FOV T-34/85 to the smallest VS Panzer Commander + accessories. Which one is correct ? Or are the Tanks out of scale and this is for compensation ? Anyone have any ideas ?
I have read other mentions of the scales being slightly off what they were supposed to be for these lines of tanks.

However, from what I have read & recall, more people seemed to imply it was the FOV tanks themselves to be slightly smaller scale than the VSTanks, possibly closer to 1/25 scale, so it's odd that their figures would be bigger than the VSTank figures.

I think this should work, just measure your different tank's widths & lengths, & compare them to the real tanks in scale, & you should see which tanks you have which are closer to correct scale at the supposed 1/24 scale. You can do the same to try & see how the figures match scale as well.

So for one example, my own 1/24 scale VSTank M1A2 Abrams, is 6" wide & 13" long (about 16" with barrel forward), which translates to 12ft wide by 26ft long & 32ft long with barrel forward ... almost a perfect match for a 1:1 scale M1A2 Abrams according to Wikipedia measurements when using the 1/24 scale conversion.

The VSTank commander figure which came with the tank is approximately 1.5625" from head to waist. Tough to be completely accurate, but lets assume his lower half (from waist to feet), if it were there, would about match the upper measurement from head to waist. If we just double it we get 3.125" for a full figure, or a 1:1 scale of about a 6ft 1/4inch for the height a full figure if we again use the 1/24 scale conversion ... seems good enough to me.

Though the tanks themselves should be fairly consistent with measurements at their scale to match the real tanks, I assume the figures could be a little smaller or larger even with the same line of 1/24 scale tanks, & as long as the figures are not way out of proportions, it would just simulate slightly bigger or slightly smaller people.

I don't own any FOV tanks, so I cannot provide any reference or measurements for comparison. But at least my M1A2 Abrams VSTanks & figures seem pretty good for 1/24 scale all around.

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old May 31, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Craig,
In my guesstimation the VS figures seem to be correct . Thanks for your input.

-Howard-
Old Jun 01, 2013, 10:37 AM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
103 Posts
Scale

I have noticed people come in all sizes to, from about 5 to 6.5 feet tall.
Darryl Usher
Darryl Usher is offline Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old Jun 01, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Darryl,
You are right; but figurines tend to expand their dimensions in ALL directions . So that 7ft guy has a 1ft wide face.
Old Jun 01, 2013, 12:07 PM
General of the Army
United States, PA, Sellersville
Joined Apr 2012
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Usher View Post
I have noticed people come in all sizes to, from about 5 to 6.5 feet tall.
Darryl Usher
Just as I said in my earlier post & kind of agree to some extent, as long as the figures are not way out of proportions it might not be too bad. I don't think there is anything wrong having slightly different sized figures to represent people of all sizes, because that is reality. However, even if the figures you use are of a plausible size but would be on either the shorter or taller range for a person of the scale, I think the problem appears that much more magnified if everyone else has figures of the same size in/on their tanks, & you have ones that look way smaller or way bigger compared to everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Group Lodz View Post
Darryl,
You are right; but figurines tend to expand their dimensions in ALL directions . So that 7ft guy has a 1ft wide face.
You remember André Roussimoff, better known as André the Giant? lol , I think his face was at least 1ft wide, so for a 7'-7'+ scale figure, maybe 1ft wide face/head is OK too ... though I'd hate to be stuck inside a tank with someone that big ... if they would even actually fit .....

~ Craig ~
badassforce is offline Find More Posts by badassforce
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:04 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Craig and Darryl,
As per our discussion ; I "retired" two of my Commanders (the super sized ones). Replaced one with VS personnel and the other tank was "buttoned up" . Two of the retained personnel are of different manufacture and hence sizes. Now everything is back to "normal" and the Brigade Commander can sleep again.

Thank you for your input,

-Howard-
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Resolution: Choose the Commander to fit the Troops ! I used "King and Country" Soldiers with a provided Tank commander that is close to their scale; which makes for a satisfactory result. Tanks in real life "feel" larger than they are (especially if you are an infantry man and it is coming towards you) . Since no one produces a Soviet Tank Commander that I like ; my 1:24 T-34/85 is "buttoned up" , However "KIng and Country" has Soviet "Tank Riders" that look great fastened to the back of the tank , behind the turret riding into battle like they did in real life.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
542 Posts
What scale DOES King and Country use?

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Jeff,
They say they are 1:30 scale They are large enough to have individual expressive faces.
Tom Hanks , the actor is a big collector of King and Country. When I get the photo situation sorted , I will send photos of my tanks with K&C figures. Then you can judge for yourself. Using figures that are slightly smaller to emphasize the size of a structure or feature is an old Model Railroad trick. I think it works to good visual effect in this case . However, Jeff I really want to know what Graham and you think. I have been working with the camera to have nice photos available .

-Howard-
Old Jul 29, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
On a note, my whole effort here is scaled to the size of an LGB heavy duty Flat Car ; These are 1:22.5 scale narrow gauge. Bumping them to represent standard gauge brings them to @1:30 scale. The Academy JagdPanther ,that I built ,fits perfectly on the Flat Car. I am working on the lash down from photos . Trains, figures and vehicles need to look "plausible " in the context of my Garden Railroad.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 05:57 AM
towcester uk
Joined Dec 2010
218 Posts
In my view 1.30th for tc and riders would work well, however in a diorama setting 1.30th troops on the ground around the tank would detract from the realism as I think they would draw the eye to the tank, "being larger than life".
but not having done this myself it is only a thought. at the end of the day all modelling is subjective and if your happy with how it looks thats all that matters
heavyg is offline Find More Posts by heavyg
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
As long as you have a "scale"( i.e. the Tank Commander) or a figure standing on the tank ; the mind will accept the composition. The eye will be drawn to the figure. Placing your largest vehicle in the back of the diorama brings attention to the scale ones in the foreground. Graham, we all love Tanks and in our minds they ARE larger than life. When the Tiger was first encountered on the battlefield it was described "as big as a house ". Hence my point from the beginning the size of the Tank Commander will "allow" you to use off scale soldiers if they are all the same size of the Commander and the Commander looks plausible.