bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:26 AM
Sverige, ÷rebro Lšn, Hallsberg
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknet View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I still can't get past the first step where you load the board type, quad type etc. When I compile it gives me parameter errors and won't let me go further. Anyone know how to get past this?
Did you use the flash tool, it does this for you. You don't need to edit any files at all.
Kaptenklister is offline Find More Posts by Kaptenklister
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:58 AM
Jacknetair
United States, TN, Copperhill
Joined Sep 2013
237 Posts
Hi Kap: I actually have not tried the Flash tool yet as I would like to learn the inner workings of the board but I will use it if I can't get this code to compile. I finally got everything loaded correctly as per mpng site. On the last step where you verify the mpng sketch I get this error:

/* Forward declarations to avoid broken auto-prototyper (coughs on '::'?) */
static void run_cli(AP_HAL::UARTDriver *port);

Ever see this error? Do you think I should try commenting out?
Jacknet is online now Find More Posts by Jacknet
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:19 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
858 Posts
Missing Waypoints

I'm using Megapirateng 3.0.1R4 on a Crius 1.1 board with an external compass. All my GPS modes tested out fine (altitude hold, Loiter and RTL) so I tried my first mission yesterday on an extremely calm day and it worked great. I tried it again today when it was much windier and the quadcopter started off in the general direction of the first waypoint but then just kept going, seemingly missing the waypoint but failing to detect that it had missed it. What is supposed to happen when a waypoint is missed?

I tried it a second time, moving the first waypoint to a different spot and got the same result, i.e., moving off in the direction of the waypoint but going way beyond it. In both cases, I had to switch to stabilize mode and bring it back manually. In windier conditions, does one need to increasse or decrease the WPNAV_Radius parameter in the Full parameters screen and/or increase or decrease the WP Radius field at the top of the waypoints table in the Flight Plan Screen? Or is there some other parameter I should be adjusting to help the copter determine that it has reached waypoint 1 and should change course to waypoint 2? Thanks.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:37 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmizes View Post
I'm using Megapirateng 3.0.1R4 on a Crius 1.1 board with an external compass. All my GPS modes tested out fine (altitude hold, Loiter and RTL) so I tried my first mission yesterday on an extremely calm day and it worked great. I tried it again today when it was much windier and the quadcopter started off in the general direction of the first waypoint but then just kept going, seemingly missing the waypoint but failing to detect that it had missed it. What is supposed to happen when a waypoint is missed?

I tried it a second time, moving the first waypoint to a different spot and got the same result, i.e., moving off in the direction of the waypoint but going way beyond it. In both cases, I had to switch to stabilize mode and bring it back manually. In windier conditions, does one need to increasse or decrease the WPNAV_Radius parameter in the Full parameters screen and/or increase or decrease the WP Radius field at the top of the waypoints table in the Flight Plan Screen? Or is there some other parameter I should be adjusting to help the copter determine that it has reached waypoint 1 and should change course to waypoint 2? Thanks.
Right now solar activity is kind of crazy and GPS is all over the place. so I'd wait until things settle down.

I just took one of my APMs outside to test and it's all over the place.

Mind you the APM is stationary physically.

http://youtu.be/zkUVjdYDjCQ
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TheQuestor; Mar 07, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:11 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
858 Posts
I looked up the reported solar activity for today and the Earth facing activity is reported as very low so i don't think that's the cause of the missed waypoints or the gps movement you saw in your stationary copter on Mission Planner. Solar activity can definitely affect GPS, but it has only happened at times of very high solar flare activity. I'm going to redo my compass dance calibration out at the field and see if that makes a difference. The original calibration was done outside my house. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 07:47 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
567 Posts
how many people have this board set up and running 100%?

i have been messing with it for months now and i have just got it to rtl without crashing.

this is compared to my apm 2.5 that was flying right away.
geofrancis is online now Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:17 AM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post
how many people have this board set up and running 100%?

i have been messing with it for months now and i have just got it to rtl without crashing.

this is compared to my apm 2.5 that was flying right away.
The v2 is my favorite non apm board there is. The problem really isn't the board but the software running it. With multiwii it is awesome but MPNG is not exactly Arducopter. With Arducopter/plane you really only have 1 bit of hardware to support and there is a full crew working on AC. MPNG is really being done by one gent and though he is doing an admirable job porting AC to work on this board, it is also being ported to run on multiple boards and that is a tall order for a crew let alone a single person.

I lost my quad with this board running a non standard 3.1 rc5 and well it wasn't pretty. Instead of only using 3.1 to run an auto tune I flew with it, and well I really miss that quad. The replacement is running an Arduflyer [APM Clone] and after putting on APMs on my hex and quad I never looked back.
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2014, 01:19 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
6,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
The v2 is my favorite non apm board there is. The problem really isn't the board but the software running it. With multiwii it is awesome but MPNG is not exactly Arducopter. With Arducopter/plane you really only have 1 bit of hardware to support and there is a full crew working on AC. MPNG is really being done by one gent and though he is doing an admirable job porting AC to work on this board, it is also being ported to run on multiple boards and that is a tall order for a crew let alone a single person.

I lost my quad with this board running a non standard 3.1 rc5 and well it wasn't pretty. Instead of only using 3.1 to run an auto tune I flew with it, and well I really miss that quad. The replacement is running an Arduflyer [APM Clone] and after putting on APMs on my hex and quad I never looked back.
So fly away is not only for DJI

I had only 1 fly away .. and that was my tri with KK2.0 that gently lost the Z gyro
But police did rescue my tri (what was left) and after inspecting the on board video, they did return to me ...
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Mar 16, 2014, 01:51 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
858 Posts
Geofrancis,

I have my Crius 1.1 board up and running fine now with megapirateng 3.0.1R4, both in terms of all of the various flight modes and flying missions. I have a friend using an APM 2.6 board and I would say that his experience has been no less of a journey than mine other than it has been much easier to flash new firmware directly with Mission Planner when using an APM board. Regardless of what flight controller and software you use, these projects are not for those that do not enjoy the challenge of figuring things out and repeatedly tweaking parameters or even changing the code itself to get everything the way you want it. No doubt some combinations of flight controller board, software, hardware accessories and frame type end up being easier to configure, but I have known guys with identical setups that had different problems to conquer. Even guys that buy the DJI Phantom or the Blade 350 QX to avoid all of the configuration hassle have had problems of one kind or another. These are all changing technologies and hopefully in the future things will be much more plug and play.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmizes View Post
Geofrancis,

I have my Crius 1.1 board up and running fine now with megapirateng 3.0.1R4, both in terms of all of the various flight modes and flying missions. I have a friend using an APM 2.6 board and I would say that his experience has been no less of a journey than mine other than it has been much easier to flash new firmware directly with Mission Planner when using an APM board. Regardless of what flight controller and software you use, these projects are not for those that do not enjoy the challenge of figuring things out and repeatedly tweaking parameters or even changing the code itself to get everything the way you want it. No doubt some combinations of flight controller board, software, hardware accessories and frame type end up being easier to configure, but I have known guys with identical setups that had different problems to conquer. Even guys that buy the DJI Phantom or the Blade 350 QX to avoid all of the configuration hassle have had problems of one kind or another. These are all changing technologies and hopefully in the future things will be much more plug and play.
Well said. I have been running only Crius boards for some time now. Got frustrated with trying to get the RSSI working so I bought an APM clone. The APM is a lot easier to set up with Mission Planner, but I'm still dealing with the RSSI issue. I gues poeple need to understand that these FC's are experimental. They aren't Airhogs. Everyone is running different hardware on parts built multirotors. My hat off the the guy who is coding Megapirate. He is doing a very good.
leithalweapon is offline Find More Posts by leithalweapon
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Accelerometer wont calibrate!

Just picked up a RC Timer AIO PRO Flight Controller v2.0, while I have a couple of multiwii boards this is my first MPNG.
First off I loaded MW2.3, GPS, everything worked fine including Calibrating the accelerometer.
Then used the flash tool to load MPNG 3.01.r4 everything works except it fails the Accel Calibration
Have tried MP1.2.55 as well as MP1.2.99
Reloaded MW2.3 again it calibrates put back MPNG and it fails.
I can get the board to arm by disabling the pre-arm check but Iím reluctant to put it in a MC .
Does anyone have any suggestions?
fjmb58 is offline Find More Posts by fjmb58
Old Mar 26, 2014, 05:32 AM
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
218 Posts
Hi fjmb58,
Maybe you could try the calibration from the terminal/CLI mode (typing "setup level") of the Mission planner, just to see if you get a more precise error message (offset values, etc.) ?
grmis is offline Find More Posts by grmis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:23 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
537 Posts
fjmb58,
Did you do an eeprom erase from Terminal/CLI first thing after hooking the board up for the first time after flashing it? I do 2-3 erase cycles before I try any calibrations. It will calibrate, sometimes they are just stubborn and you need to do the erase/ calibrate cycle a couple of times to get the accel to take
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:00 AM
Australia, VIC, Rowville
Joined Mar 2013
45 Posts
Thanks Guys
Just tried Setup/erase a number of times but still would not calibrate, will try reloading 3.01 when I get home in a few days
fjmb58 is offline Find More Posts by fjmb58