HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
I doubt anyones really going to push this jet above the 120-130mph, it is just to draggy,but at the same time that is not what it was made for. It is a predictable jet with no bad habits and can take extra weight and still perform great.
My fan is overkill but its what I had laying around and I figured if something bad happened to jet, the fan surrounded by foam would survive.Taking off in 50-75 feet from rough grass is still nice though too....

I have the Mach edf in many of my jets, so I'll be putting a lower cost unit into my Habu demo jet.
I'm sinally back on getting the (last ) SAPAC Viperjet done, after building a few 50 EDFs.
The fan that survived two L-39 maiden crashes with that one.
We only got one of them on film.
Mach alloy fan with the Velocity 2900kv motor on 6s. Not a racer but fast for sure.

Fatal maiden at Muroc (2 min 40 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,329 Posts
Wow! Well I knew the fan was tuff from one of your demo vids with you throwing rocks into it as it was running but thats good to know also. I have no desire to hurt my fans so I am carefull about what I put them in.
What was the cause do you guys think in that vid,wing stall?
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Thanks, it's an oldie.

Can't say for sure, as I haven't ran it that fan on 5s, on the bench or in the jet.
My guess is that you'l be around 105A at WOT in the jet. (similar to the L-39)
The CC ICE 100 has tons of head room. It should be fine. Always make sure it has airlfow.
I was planning on 100 amp Castle ICE. That's good. The plan is to mount it in the air intake.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
Wow! Well I knew the fan was tuff from one of your demo vids with you throwing rocks into it as it was running but thats good to know also. I have no desire to hurt my fans so I am carefull about what I put them in.
What was the cause do you guys think in that vid,wing stall?
Call me stupid (you won't be the first. ) but it took crashing two brand new L-39's on the maiden to figure out it was a faulty servo reverser on one servo flap. I needed the 7th channel, so the momentary trainer switch could be used to "pump" the brakes.
So a reverser was used on the analog servo to reverse it.
It would work fine on the bench, and both times in the air for the first 2 mins. them BAM.....one flap would deploy. auger in.
I used the device from the first crashed L-39 in the 2nd one.

Horizon Hobbies recommends NOT using servo reversers with 2.4 systems. (I later found out)

I now have digital flap servos in the Viperjet. (with one of them programmed, reversed)
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:22 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Call me stupid (you won't be the first. ) but it took crashing two brand new L-39's on the maiden to figure out it was a faulty servo reverser on one servo flap. I needed the 7th channel, so the momentary trainer switch could be used to "pump" the brakes.
So a reverser was used on the analog servo to reverse it.
It would work fine on the bench, and both times in the air for the first 2 mins. them BAM.....one flap would deploy. auger in.
I used the device from the first crashed L-39 in the 2nd one.

Horizon Hobbies recommends NOT using servo reversers with 2.4 systems. (I later found out)

I now have digital flap servos in the Viperjet. (with one of them programmed, reversed)
I lost a really nice twin fan F22 because of a reverser that stopped reversing. This was before Spektrum published the bulleting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
838 Posts
Hey guys, I got a replacement Habu coming in soon and I wanted to give it that shot in the arm that it needs. I have some parts here that I wanted to use in it when it arrives and I thought I would get some opinions first. (maybe Gary has thoughts on this)

I have 6s 3000mAh 45C lipos that I wish to use with a ZTW 110A esc with an external CC 10A bec on a 1900kv Velocity motor. I would like to use the stock Delta fan but I don't know if I should use the stock motor or my Velocity?

The 6s lipo weighs 414 grams vs the 3s 3500mAh at 332 grams (additional 82 grams) What kind of flight time could I expect with my 6s? I would like the option of using 5s if the 6s proves to be too heavy or short on flight time.

If the Delta fan cannot support this plan then I would like to try a CS fan and go for the "Whoosh" sound.

I have used the Habu with the stock setup with flaps and retracts and found it to be slow and under powered. Furthermore, I don't think the stock internal bec can really handle all the servos, gear and motor draw without shutting down.

Any thoughts on this guys? Thanks.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
Hey guys, I got a replacement Habu coming in soon and I wanted to give it that shot in the arm that it needs. I have some parts here that I wanted to use in it when it arrives and I thought I would get some opinions first. (maybe Gary has thoughts on this)

I have 6s 3000mAh 45C lipos that I wish to use with a ZTW 110A esc with an external CC 10A bec on a 1900kv Velocity motor. I would like to use the stock Delta fan but I don't know if I should use the stock motor or my Velocity?

The 6s lipo weighs 414 grams vs the 3s 3500mAh at 332 grams (additional 82 grams) What kind of flight time could I expect with my 6s? I would like the option of using 5s if the 6s proves to be too heavy or short on flight time.

If the Delta fan cannot support this plan then I would like to try a CS fan and go for the "Whoosh" sound.

I have used the Habu with the stock setup with flaps and retracts and found it to be slow and under powered. Furthermore, I don't think the stock internal bec can really handle all the servos, gear and motor draw without shutting down.

The stock 3200 kv motor wouldn't last long on a 6S. I run mine on 5S and it is pushing its capabilities.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:47 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,301 Posts
Quote:

Yeah stock fan wont do 6S.

As long as you're going 6S check out that all alloy setup at Efflux. All metal, lots of blades, should sound like a real turbine.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,195 Posts
Quote:

Referring to your statement in bold above, was 1900kv a typo?
Are you referring to the Velocity 2900? that would be fine on 6s, but you will be pulling 115+ amps. Not sure how the ZTW ESC would handle it. I know it's over the rating, but the Castle ICE has lots of headroom and works for us with that motor in the MACH70 (heavier loaded rotor) EDF. You might consider a bigger ESC. I would go to 3300mAh lipos.

Going down to 5s with the CS might still be too much for that fan. I have not run the CS fans but I hear they will blow at 46000 rpm (or ~ 1300W)
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,329 Posts
I run a ZTW110 amp at under its rated value(80 amps),it over heated with very low airflow so I had to relocate it into airstream.After about 3 minutes it would slow down and then cut off protecting itself but anoying in flight.That was on 4s lipo.Go with something with a heatsink if you are close to max with your ESCs.
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yeah stock fan wont do 6S.

As long as you're going 6S check out that all alloy setup at Efflux. All metal, lots of blades, should sound like a real turbine.

-Brian
I saw an all alloy edf at AMA a year ago (I think it was efflux), and lemme tell you, that thing really did sound a heck of a lot like a turbine. Super sick.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
838 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. The 1900kv wasn't a typo on my part but it is what I was told this motor was. The motor and ZTW esc came out of a 90mm FA18 foamie that had been scrapped. I flew that plane on 6s a few times before a reversing lead took it down.
I was hoping it would be a bit of an upgrade for the Habu because I didnt want to have to pump a lot of money into it if I had some stuff kicking around.
I went and looked at Gary's alloy 70mm fans and they sure are real nice. If I used one of them and bought the right motor, controller and lipo to fit it what kind of weight would that add to the Habu vs the stock setup? Considering the kind of investment that it would be and how great it would sound maybe that would call for a more deserving and worthy airframe?
I think it would be really awesome but it appears to be more than what I am looking for in this foamie. I do have my sights on it now and it is on my wishlist. Thanks for the input guys.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
510 Posts
What is everyone recommend for a fan upgrade? I have seen a couple of the alloy ones but they cost about as much as the plane. I am mainly looking for a better sound and a little more performance. More blades?
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Last edited by erikc641; Sep 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
510 Posts
anyone running different motors for the stock 4s setup? The eflite BL15 3600kv?
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc641 View Post
anyone running different motors for the stock 4s setup? The eflite BL15 3600kv?
I was thinking about getting a Velocity 3700kv from EffluxRC but I do not know if it will fit the stock eflite EDF fan and housing. If it fits it should provide about the best power you'll get out of 4S.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon