HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
I Agree NitroPlanes Sucks

I ordered a Hawk Sky early December. Received it really fast but thats all that has been good. I assembled the plane just as directions said, charged the battery and went out to fly. Well the plane took off never got over 10' off the ground then just took a hard right turn and nosed to the ground. Went to get it and the whole nose had broke off, the motor had come out and when this happened the prop cut slots in the wing and broke. I took the plane back home very disappointed. I repaired the plane and wanted tell the next day to try again. Went out and there was no wind. The plane took off and again did the same thing, this time the whole tail section broke off. Took the plane home again to repair it. By now I am getting really disappointed. I took the plane to my local hobby shop and let them check it and they cant find anything I have done wrong. They took it out back to try it and again it did the same thing. Now Im thinking I have ben sold a peice of junk. My uncle ordered one the same time I did and his will not fly either. I have called Nitro Planes twice and stayed on the phone for 40 min and never got to speak to anyone. I have emailed them 3 times and still no response. I am thinking about filling a complaint sence I paid with paypal. Never use this company. I no its not me I fly helicopters and I have another plane I purchased from the hobby store.
afdcaptain is offline Find More Posts by afdcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:00 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
Why didn't you buy from your hobby store? Bet their trainers fly just fine.

Not to sound sarcastic or mean but you got what you paid for from Nitroplanes.
The price they sell stuff at means there is NO help or tech support at their price point.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
I agree. I have learnt the hard way. I could have bought a used but nice nitro trainer, ready to go for the same price. I have another electric plane that flies fine. I think I got a piece of junk.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,047 Posts
confused, why will it not fly?
a piece of foam with a motor will fly.A lawnmover will fly.
did it stall?
did it not respond to your commands?
is it a BNF or PNP?
what came with the plane?
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
586 Posts
Order Number

afdcaptain,
I'm sorry to hear what happened and our phone lines have been backed up due to the holidays. But I am more that happy to assist you here. Do you have your order number? Once I retrieve your order I can further discuss it with out tech department to see what happened. Thank you for you patience and we hope to get this issue resolved soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdcaptain View Post
I ordered a Hawk Sky early December. Received it really fast but thats all that has been good. I assembled the plane just as directions said, charged the battery and went out to fly. Well the plane took off never got over 10' off the ground then just took a hard right turn and nosed to the ground. Went to get it and the whole nose had broke off, the motor had come out and when this happened the prop cut slots in the wing and broke. I took the plane back home very disappointed. I repaired the plane and wanted tell the next day to try again. Went out and there was no wind. The plane took off and again did the same thing, this time the whole tail section broke off. Took the plane home again to repair it. By now I am getting really disappointed. I took the plane to my local hobby shop and let them check it and they cant find anything I have done wrong. They took it out back to try it and again it did the same thing. Now Im thinking I have ben sold a peice of junk. My uncle ordered one the same time I did and his will not fly either. I have called Nitro Planes twice and stayed on the phone for 40 min and never got to speak to anyone. I have emailed them 3 times and still no response. I am thinking about filling a complaint sence I paid with paypal. Never use this company. I no its not me I fly helicopters and I have another plane I purchased from the hobby store.
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Order No.

My order number is 1502441. I have tried the plane with the allerons hooked up and also with them not hooked up. All flaps are set level and are working.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
586 Posts
Tech Support

I have forwarded this issue to our tech support staff. He will further assist you about this matter. Thank you for the patience and we hope to get this resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdcaptain View Post
My order number is 1502441. I have tried the plane with the allerons hooked up and also with them not hooked up. All flaps are set level and are working.
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Hello,

Do you have your ailerons reversed? When you move right, the right aileron should lift up.

Danny
NitroTechnician is offline Find More Posts by NitroTechnician
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
I have tried it even without the ailerons hooked up and just us it as a 3 channel
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
I am going to recheck evrything this week and check the cog again and if there is no wind I am going to try to fly again. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Also, please check to see that your aileron flaps are level when you have your transmitter and receiver bound.
NitroTechnician is offline Find More Posts by NitroTechnician
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,435 Posts
As far as the planes go I have ordered two Airfield F-15's and they were all sealed and in good condition when they arrived, however one kit was missing a nose landing gear servo horn, but I suppose that is really an error from the Chinese factory. As far as flying they fly great and land very well, but are a bit under powered for me so I am in the process of modding one of them. Here is a short clip of one of my jets. Although it is modded, the other stock F-15 flies well also.
Airfield F-15 with auto stabilization (1 min 36 sec)

I like these jets so much I ordered a third, which arrived yesterday and though it is un-assembled I see no parts missing or damaged.

For what it's worth I made sure the CG was correct on both planes before flying, then decided moving the CG from stock 88mm forward to 80mm.
Afdcaptain, was the CG checked before flying your plane? IMO the CG is THE KEY deciding factor on whether a plane is stable.

Like Afdcaptain I also come from a history of flying helicopters but I have had my share of noob plane crashes; mostly smacking into trees, trying to land or doing stunts though.
My Airwolf at Florida Broward College (3 min 26 sec)

On one flight after an aging battery died I was able to land the F-15 gently in the grass before the runway. This plane does not seem to have the tendency to tip stall as described on this thread though I know we are talking about two different planes here. Guess that's partly why I bought a third F-15. They take a while to build up speed before they take off though. One guy solved that problem by moving his rear landing gear forward almost to the CG, however I imagine the take offs would be more stable with the un-modded landing gear at a faster speed.

So I hope it is OK to voice my opinion that up to this point in dealing with them, that Nitroplanes does not suck, although I confess that up to now I have not dealt with their customer service, not having a real need to for my jets.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; Jan 27, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Nitro Tech and Nancy

Ok we had beautiful weather today. I have checked everything several times over. Alirons, center of gravity and evrything else I could think of. Plane still will not get air born. I even reverced the prop to be sure it wasnt on backwards. Plane still goes straight to the ground. I am ready to just take the electronics out and use them in another plane.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:42 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,093 Posts
Could you check and measure where the CG is exactly and let us know? Also is the motor securely mounted? Are the wings securely mounted? If you push on either of them do they move at all? Do the wing and stabalizer have correct incidence?
Have you tried to glide it off a hill and see what happens? Did you range check it on the ground with the motor running (with someone holding it) to make sure the motor does not interfere with the radio?

This is a pretty basic laid out airplane. If everything is as you say then perhaps the radio is causing some sort of problem. Do you have fresh batteries in the tx? Come to think of it, is the radio system securely mounted within the fuselage and wings? Are the servos tight in their mounts? All linkages secure? Are all moveable surfaces level when in neutral?

Do all flying surfaces move in the correct direction when the tx sticks are moved? Stand behind the model and with tx in hand say out loud.." I'm moving the stick to the left so the rudder moves to the left." "I'm giving the tx stick up elevator so the models elevator is moving up" and so on until you do all the controls both up/down and left/right.

Go over it with a fine tooth comb and have another experienced pilot do the same. Also check that your pushrods are not bowing when servos move. I'm not doubting your LHS but they don't have a vested interest to make sure it works correctly.

In short lots to check on even a simple model. Pleze keep us informed.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Last edited by aeronca52; Feb 04, 2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, NC
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
hawksky

I have been over and over this plane and everything is correct. Radio and everthing is working. I dont understand because my uncle got the exact same plane at the same time I did. I assembiled his and set it up. His flies just fine. We have switched radios and still doesnt work. I am ready to just take all the electronics out and use them in another plane if I can find one.