HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:20 PM
Gravity Sucks!
United States, NY, Selden
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
Help!!!!

I have the eflite 480. However the holes to mount motor don't line up. How did others using this motor handle is. I was going to use a plywood spacer as a makeshift adapter plate. Any help would be appreciated.
coolz203 is offline Find More Posts by coolz203
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:35 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolz203 View Post
I have the eflite 480. However the holes to mount motor don't line up. How did others using this motor handle is. I was going to use a plywood spacer as a makeshift adapter plate. Any help would be appreciated.
I had to elongate the holes in the Exceed motor about 2mm to accommodate the blind nuts. Its easier to modify the mount than to move the blind nuts. Also for the Eflite motor I believe you have to cut and shorten the motor box as GCplane did here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4446549
The link to the post is here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=105
Unless the 480 is shorter, I'm not sure. The Exceed fit perfectly as far as depth was concerned.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
Thanks. THe problem I have is if I enlongate the holes on the eflite mount, there won't be enough meat left. Would that strong enough? Should I just mount it using some wood screws?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:03 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. THe problem I have is if I enlongate the holes on the eflite mount, there won't be enough meat left. Would that strong enough? Should I just mount it using some wood screws?
I do not recommend using wood screws at all. Not a good idea. You could, however, use some flat washers on top. They will provide extra holding force on the mount. And I recommend always lock-tighting your machine screws into the blind nuts. I have had them come loose do to my neglecting to do this.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:22 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
So using a sheet metal type screw that has a pan head and a washer would work to mount th motor? My other idea was to get some blind nuts and make to some new holes to mount the motor. The difficulty is that getting by fat fingers to push those nuts in would be difficult at best.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
So using a sheet metal type screw that has a pan head and a washer would work to mount th motor? My other idea was to get some blind nuts and make to some new holes to mount the motor. The difficulty is that getting by fat fingers to push those nuts in would be difficult at best.
No, what I meant was to elongate the holes to line up with the existing blind nuts then use washers on the "machine" screws provided in the kit. Are the holes that far off?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Motor burnout - Great Planes Rimfire .10

I have now burnout two Great Planes Rimfire .10 motors flying this plane. WARNING on the Great Planes Rimfire .10. Two weeks ago I decided to take mine out from the hangar and fly her around to ensure things are in good flying condition. After a few batteries, while in the air, the plane had smoke trailing from it while in aerobatic maneuvers. I literally had long trailing smoke in mid air. It was like I was doing a smoke show. I couldn't believe it! Soon I realized the motor was burnt in mid-flight. Luckily for me the plane had plenty of speed and was high enough that I could do a force emergency landing in the field without damaging the plane other than minor scratches . Seems the wire burned out when the motor got really hot and as a result created smoke and shorted the motor.

For those planning on using GP Rimfire .10 for this plane - DON'T. I've learned my lesson. Others have voiced similar concerns a long while back. I have now proved it to myself that it's true. I am now forced to consider EF 480 or comparable motor.
Reef_rc is online now Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:49 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
I installed this motor with a 10-7 SF prop and works great...http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m50-opti...0-910kv-2.html
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
If I was to elongate, then there would be no more hole in the x-mount. I am not sure if that would be a good idea. The idea i had was to put new holes in to mount the motor. Obviously using a sheetmetal screw would be a lot easier to use then trying retrofit blind nuts on the ply mount.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:25 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
I have now burnout two Great Planes Rimfire .10 motors flying this plane. WARNING on the Great Planes Rimfire .10. Two weeks ago I decided to take mine out from the hangar and fly her around to ensure things are in good flying condition. After a few batteries, while in the air, the plane had smoke trailing from it while in aerobatic maneuvers. I literally had long trailing smoke in mid air. It was like I was doing a smoke show. I couldn't believe it! Soon I realized the motor was burnt in mid-flight. Luckily for me the plane had plenty of speed and was high enough that I could do a force emergency landing in the field without damaging the plane other than minor scratches . Seems the wire burned out when the motor got really hot and as a result created smoke and shorted the motor.

For those planning on using GP Rimfire .10 for this plane - DON'T. I've learned my lesson. Others have voiced similar concerns a long while back. I have now proved it to myself that it's true. I am now forced to consider EF 480 or comparable motor.
Don't try the SuperTigre equivalent either. I have burned up about 3-4 of them. Mine mostly was because of magnets being loose and not really because of high temps.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
That hobbypartz motor is out of stock...oh well.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
740 Posts
Quote:
That hobbypartz motor is out of stock...oh well.
This is the same motor with the shaft protruding out the stator side instead of the bell side but it looks like you could slide the shaft to turn it around to accommodate the prop adapter.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m20-opti...010-910kv.html
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Joined Aug 2009
54 Posts
Do you think if i open the holes on the x-mount for the eflite motor, would that be an issue?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
flight characteristics of the Stearman

hey guys, I would love to hear about flight characteristics. When I use my Rudder the airplane dives I think it's because I lose airflow on the opposite wing being blocked by the fuselage. Because the wings are so short they don't get clean air. Can somebody else comment on this flight characteristic and other characteristics.

I like to add I'm using the rimfire 10 with no heat issues at all. my cowl is completely opened up between cylinders as wide as possible for airflow , I do have a slight mod which in my opinion has made ia significant difference.I made a scoop inside from a piece of paper soaked in glue,on only one side of course it directs the air exactly to the bottom of the motor this is where the hotspot is. All my planes run cool I have no overheating trouble at all.

I don't have a quick photo of my Stearman so I am showing my Sukhoi. Please note the Stearman is more direct and accurate than the Sukhoi for directing air to the hot spot. The Sukhoi did not require it as the motor is basically in open air. But my scoop still aids I have no heat issues anywhere PS I do not run 100% power for the full flight but I easily exceed any 15 second rule. I can stick my finger in the cowl through holes and I've monitored the temperature. I don't anymore that's how good it runs.

My Stearman is also modified for rough field takeoff my landing gear has been cut and welded to move my wheels forward about a half-inch. My ground handling is significantly improved.my runway is not always so good

ground handling she likes to ground loop which is dangerous, I have to pay great attention on takeoffs and landings . In-flight using the rudder alone is quirky compared to others and the aircraft is very aerobatic. She does calm down and flies quite tame. But if you're not watching yeah it's easier to get into trouble with this one than some others.I have been flying it for two years
ddragon444 is offline Find More Posts by ddragon444
Old Apr 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Upper wing incidence.

Way back at the beginning of this thread Simano talked of raising the leading edge of the upper wing to increase it's incidence. But the was never any detail about how much it was raised or how many degrees the incidence was changed or how exactly it was done and whether it applies to the N braces alone or the cabane struts as well. No photos of the mods either. And somewhere I recall seeing mention of the N braces holding the tip ends down a bit which I interpreted to mean that the top wing was not straight across side to side. Any chance of some more detail or photos of the mods? Or description of what difference was noted after the mods. Was it at all worth the effort? I have one in the box that I intend to start putting together and don't want to reinvent the wheel if I can help it.

I have taken to heart the warnings about the recommended 1250kv Rimfire, which I already have, and have ordered the Exceed 950kv motor from Hobbyparts. I really do want to use a 10 inch prop without burning up a motor. A little more prop extending beyond the cowl seem sensible to me. Looks like the Futaba servos are definitely the way to go. I can't see any others that compare for torque, size, weight, and even price, in spite of the Futaba name on them. Looks like Tower is going to get my business on that unless someone knows of a source with a better price, including shipping to the US.

Thanks to the early adopters for the info! Knowing what to expect is really useful.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks