HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:23 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Corona is 40mW and FrSky is 60mW, as I read in various threads.
FrSky is FCC certified, so if you have the FCCID, you may read the exact tests results bulletin.
Sorry, I measured the Corona myself Renatoa, with the right gear for the job. So did the MAAA here in Adelaide (I helped them out to do it).

I also measured Spektrum and FlyDream, and many versions of Corona. All around +20dBm.
I was not around when FrSky was tested recently, but I'm told it seemed about the same power. I'll make a note to do a proper power measurement when I get to play with one on the bench.

Of course for Europe the TX power may be set lower and that's what you read about.
Martin

Attached is a typical plot we get off our test equipment. In this case FlyDream.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 01:39 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,357 Posts
I will be sending a set to MAAA soon as I am back in the office. A friend has tested it on an HP 8560E and got normal peak power of 18dB taking cable loss into account. Range test was -6dB or 0.25mW.

One key difference is the French market which I believe can only use 2400-2450 of the frequency range, as opposed to 2483 for the rest of us. Not sure if other countries have limits on the frequency spread or not.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 06, 2010, 02:56 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
I will be sending a set to MAAA soon as I am back in the office. A friend has tested it on an HP 8560E and got normal peak power of 18dB taking cable loss into account. Range test was -6dB or 0.25mW.

One key difference is the French market which I believe can only use 2400-2450 of the frequency range, as opposed to 2483 for the rest of us. Not sure if other countries have limits on the frequency spread or not.
The problem is that Spread Spectrum channel power is not measured by looking at the instantaneous peaks on a spectrum analyzer. The real transmitted power requires measurement across it's entire transmission bandwidth and computing the RMS value also taking into account the actual time the transmitter is radiating.
The instrument we used does all this for us, I guess against some ISO standard specification so all other instruments measure the same way.
I hope that makes sense...
Martin

PS. I think the actual power level is not too important and this has got off topic now. As long as the FrSky range test button drops it by enough level to be a fair test I'm happy. Spektrum DSM2 drops by 20dB, and if FrSky do the same (it seems so) then it gets a big tick from me.
Last edited by PLMS; Feb 06, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 06:45 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
A friend has tested it on an HP 8560E and got normal peak power of 18dB
Unless your friend factored in a bandwidth correction factor for the peak spectrum analysyer measurement - then your 18dB figure is misleading.

You cannot simply measure the total actual power on spread spectrum RF signals by using a peak or simple average measurement. The total RF power needs to take into account the bandwidth of the signal which will then effectively measure the true total RF energy in the signal.

Your simple peak measurement on the spectrum analyser will read low - the true RF output will be higher than what the spectrum analyser measures unless the instrument can perform a true channel power/bandwidth measurement on the fly.
Costas_ is offline Find More Posts by Costas_
Old Feb 06, 2010, 08:49 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,357 Posts
I will let him explain it later, I am sure he knows what he is doing in his work I just posted the basics.
Old Feb 07, 2010, 05:12 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2007
155 Posts
Actually, if you are retailing these in Australia then you must be in possession of the testing documents to meet current ACMA Federal Radicomms Lic legislation as this is a Federal ACMA requirement.

The power output as measured by a suitable NATA accredited laboratory which would have performed these tests for you would be clearly listed in the report(s).
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:37 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,357 Posts
Of course I have all the documentation, already discussed it with acma
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:15 AM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,017 Posts
I have a pre-prod Frsky 2-way for trials, just awaiting connection info for the telemetry and the uncommitted serial comms channel... quite excited about this as it will open up all sorts of avenues for experimenters... will report back in due course.
Cheers
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:30 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,021 Posts
Do you need another one experimented beta tester ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:42 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
Of course I have all the documentation, already discussed it with acma

Then you would clearly know what the actual power level density is for their modules?
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:13 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
958 Posts
Cant wait for The two way system, so many possibility's from simple battery voltage and info on fuel level for Jets will be very useful.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:33 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,199 Posts
Guys, Saw this Actual Review on YouTube.

FrSky 2.4GHz spread spectrum RC review (6 min 55 sec)
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,568 Posts
Is seems like a good product, but still a little to high price to take over the market really..

Lower the price 25%, then maybee it could get a big seller ...
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 10, 2010, 03:40 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,021 Posts
I agree. At 25% more you can get same stuff from one of the bigger brands. Don't give name for obvious reasons.
The maths changes a bit if you plan more than 5 receivers, though. Bigger brands receivers costs are double.
But only for the starting combo it is still too high for a newcomer in this field.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:08 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Cant wait for The two way system, so many possibility's from simple battery voltage and info on fuel level for Jets will be very useful.
Me also, and a thought occurred to me that we could use the return serial data link to transmit data from an EagleTree E-logger. Send it down to a 'display and alarm box' on the pilots transmitter. That opens many possibilities.

The I2C protocol from the E-logger is already well documented, so it looks easy on paper to interface an E-logger and a FrSky two-way module system.

I'm happy to make that an open source project using the FrSky when I have one to develop it with.

This data channel on the FrSky two-way system could well make it a VERY popular alternative 2.4Ghz RC module system. It makes it standout in the crowd of other low cost systems...