HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:41 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-Aero View Post
So what are the newest and greatest modifications to the Aspire for 2012?
I heard that the spread to lamination is further improved. And maybe you want to use Xplorer elevator? Other than that, I would say that Aspire is very difficult to improve without major changes.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:22 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,381 Posts
Forgot to say. I have been thinking on testing larger rudder... Maybe 2cm extension with mylar strips taped both sides of rudder. Ideas?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:25 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Is the rumor true about a reshaped fuse?
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,381 Posts
Yes - maybe. But the big uncertainty is what other parts are reshaped.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,712 Posts
We have been discussing the need to update Aspire for some time. There was already the descision to increase the tail moment on the fuse. If Lubos chooses to do this, then it would be reasonable to alter the fuse with a smaller x-section to be easier to grasp for launch and a drooped nose for easier stuck F3J landings. So you might see an updated Aspire with a Kolb inspired fuse. However We have asked Lubos to please not change the wing, as those that fly Aspires can testify it is a really sweet wing to fly.... So ,yes there are discussions going on. I am sure that Lubos will consider his options carefully and try to come up with a model that will stand the test of time, just like the Aspire has. I will announce when the new model has finished the design, flight test phase and when you can order one. I am pretty excited about Lubos's ideas and the potential for an updated Aspire....if he can improve what he has already, it is going to be a very good model. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:43 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,020 Posts
I understand the design dynamics of the droop nose, but I hate the esthetics of it ... one of the main reasons I declined to jump on the Pike bandwagon.

I'm not that interested in the world "J" scene so my 2 cents is likely to be just so much noise ... but at least I'm on record as not liking it
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,712 Posts
TK,
I fully understand your position, and fully expect the Aspire as we know it, will not go away. As you know the Electro version Aspire is just now becoming available, and I see No reason to suggest the Aspire as we have come to appreciate will always be a great design. Alas there will always be those that must have the latest and that is great. But please I don't want this to turn in to another Egida wait... At this point all is in discussions ,there has been no effort to finalize any new Aspire design.
So for those interested you will have plenty of notice, and for those waiting on Aspires now rest assured that you will not be stuck with last years design..OH NOoooooo !!!!! What you should take from this is that Lubos will stay on the cutting edge and that he will respond to the new norm that We see in the F3J class.... And yes your Aspire will still fly just the way you like it, even when the new kid shows up..LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Larry

Thanks for the update.

Joe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,138 Posts
For those that have tried the Aspire with the larger Xplorer stabs, how far back can the cg go?
I'm currently at 125 on a 71oz ST with that stab and really like it there, but not sure how it will fly in turbulence.

Finally was able to capture a video today taking it out from a hand toss.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Do the explorer stabs really have that much more area. When I built a 4.0 they didn't seem to be that much larger. Just wondering . I flew my St today and it just seems to go up in the lightest lift.

Joe
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:18 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
Do the explorer stabs really have that much more area. When I built a 4.0 they didn't seem to be that much larger. Just wondering . I flew my St today and it just seems to go up in the lightest lift.

Joe
No, the area is almost the same. The thinner stabs should be better for the lower weight ST Aspires. I flew this ST at 120 with the stock stabs and it was harder to control pitch in turbulence. The thicker and higher chord airfoil doesn't work as well.

Aspire Hand Tosses Magnified (3 min 8 sec)

After the 1st 30 seconds in the vid, it's in real time. No slow motion, though it sure gives that illusion in the video.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Mar 05, 2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Posted a magnified video so it is clearer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:29 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
fnnwizard,

Nice video. Really enjoyed it. Especially right now, because here in new England the weather is freezing with 35+ mph winds.

I am working on my winter project which is converting my Aspire Disser over to electric for ALES competition. I have a spot at PoleCat in June and hope to fly it there and see how I do against the big boys.

Again, Enjoyed the Video. Stay Warm

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:26 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Super

And Cool too. Enjoyed seeing you do it. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
No, the area is almost the same. The thinner stabs should be better for the lower weight ST Aspires. I flew this ST at 120 with the stock stabs and it was harder to control pitch in turbulence. The thicker and higher chord airfoil doesn't work as well.

http://vimeo.com/58681884

After the 1st 30 seconds in the vid, it's in real time. No slow motion, though it sure gives that illusion in the video.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:10 AM
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2004
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
For those that have tried the Aspire with the larger Xplorer stabs, how far back can the cg go?
I'm currently at 125 on a 71oz ST with that stab and really like it there, but not sure how it will fly in turbulence.

Finally was able to capture a video today taking it out from a hand toss.
I like the idea of trying the Xplorer stab on the Aspire but the carbon joiner rod is a different size. How did you adapt it?

Bruce T.
Bruce T. is online now Find More Posts by Bruce T.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:27 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce T. View Post
I like the idea of trying the Xplorer stab on the Aspire but the carbon joiner rod is a different size. How did you adapt it?

Bruce T.
The stock Xplorer stab rod will slide inside the Aspire stab hollow rod, so I just cut a piece of the hollow rod as wide as the pivot bearing and slid it over the solid rod. I rolled up some 600 paper and gave the hollow rod a few twists with it and the fit is a very tight friction fit.

Besides the obvious need to trim the stab curvature for minimum gap between the V stab, I also needed to trim a bit where the stab can contact the rudder when it's at full deflection. 30 minute job if doing precision work, 10 minutes if not.