HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
Soviet P-40

Thought i would post this, better pictures to come soon. Chris Nicastro helped me with the weathering... THANKS A TON Chris!!

Details:

H9 P-40
Super Tigre G90
Futaba 6EX
Hitech Servo all around
Robart wheels and Strut Covers
Robart Hinges
Solartex Covering
Slimline "Gramps" Pilot <-love this guy!
Sulivan onboard glow

Still waiting on my Pitts muffler, but it wont be here before the Warbird Fly-in this weekend at Farragut here in Idaho, so i used the Stock muffler for now.

BEFORE....

AFTER...

AxelRod is offline Find More Posts by AxelRod
Last edited by AxelRod; Aug 06, 2008 at 05:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2008, 02:30 AM
Dothan, AL
Joined Mar 2003
216 Posts
Looks nice. Seems like the spinner is really clean compared to the rest of the bird. I don't know what you could use to weather it, but that would make it seem more fitting.
RollingR6 is offline Find More Posts by RollingR6
Old Aug 07, 2008, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
yea, already thought of that, these pictures were taken WIP, i dont have any since it was completely finished. I am going to the field later tonight, and will get some pics on the grass before the maiden flight.

The bottom of the wing is also now weathered extremely dirty. I wanted to make the plane look like it was never washed, or possibly had been through the WHOLE war... However, i dont think that would have been possible for russia at that time since they would have been in the air only 35-40hrs between engine replacements/maintenance. They were really hard on these planes...
Old Aug 07, 2008, 08:46 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Absolutely fantastic work!!
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 08, 2008, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
More Pictures... Flew her for the first time last night, the plane looks amazing in the air! First flight and landing went well, does have a problem with tip stall at low speeds, but i expected this since it is a warbird... Right rudder on take off...

Second flight, not so much... caught a sprinkler hole on take off, sent it off to the left twards the tall grass, i panic, pull up, tip stall, and cartwheel through the grass... pilot error... Damage was not too bad, broke a spar in the wing..., and the leading, and trailing edges of the right rear Hz Stab. Also cracked the firewall. Pulled the covering off those areas last night and fixed the sections in the wing and stab. I also cut out the firewall but not without first making note of the original mounting holes... Everything else in the nose and fuse looks fine, hope to have it ready again by saturday afternoon.. Will have some battle damage since i wont have time to redo some of the weathering... live and learn...

Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,585 Posts
Very impressive.......
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
successful repairs!

The plane is back together now, and i flew it again on Sunday. This time i made sure to get ample ground speed before lift off! Plane flys awesome, i could not be happier! I had two successful flights! Plenty of power with the G90! I did have an incident with the gear not retracting on the right side durring the second flight... not sure why... I checked it before takeoff, and after landing, and both times there were no problems. It stayed locked for landing, so thats good.