SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:08 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Discussion
LEG P40 questions

Im building a 60" P40 and plan to make the wing removable.

Do I use the fibreglass cloth on top of the EPP, on top of the spackle, or on top of the tape?

Also, assuming a standard radio gear layout, approximately how much weight will I need to put in the nose to balance it?
I have read on other threads that because the P40 has such a long nose less weight is required.

Many thanks,
Chris

PS here is the colour scheme I am going to finish it it
chris s is offline Find More Posts by chris s
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:19 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Aug 2005
458 Posts
I have seen the Glassing done in almost all of the ways you describe.

My preferred method is to glass the epp, then spackle, then tape. This means you can remove the tape and re-cover in the future. My favourite technique is to sand the wing profile a little thinner where the Glass goes so that once the glass is on it is level with the surface of the wing and there is no bump. You canít tell that my crossover has any glass using this technique.
alexholt is offline Find More Posts by alexholt
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:23 AM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
I didn't use glass on my 60" P40, only strapping taped the whole wing per instructions. The instructions may have changed but I'm not aware of it in the use of glass.

FWIW, my P40 saw DS speeds well over 100mph with no issues other than the wing flexing a lot but never looked like it was even close to the failure point.

IRJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:05 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Aug 2005
458 Posts
IRJ,

Is that with a removable wing?? I would figure the bolts would pull right through unless you used a big plywood plate to spread the load?? Even then I would think that this might pull through. I like to put a hardwood block the full depth of the wing then glass over it.
alexholt is offline Find More Posts by alexholt
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:53 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
If you're going to fiberglass any part of an EPP wing, you want to glass directly over the bare EPP. Tape and covering will follow over that.
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,887 Posts
Are we talking epoxy and fiberglass on EPP?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jun 27, 2007, 09:19 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
thanks for all replies.

I will put the fibreglass directly on top of the EPP.

I asked a while back about decals for this scheme but haven't found anything yet. I don't want to make my own and would prefer to buy off the shelf.
The roundels are pretty straight forward to get hold of but I'd still like to find the tiger emblem and of course the sharks mouth.

Does anyone know of a shop where I could buy these?

Cheers,
Chris
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexholt
IRJ,

Is that with a removable wing?? I would figure the bolts would pull right through unless you used a big plywood plate to spread the load?? Even then I would think that this might pull through. I like to put a hardwood block the full depth of the wing then glass over it.
Yes I used the removable wing kit. I put the rear hole through the aileron stock smack dab in the middle. For the front I think I may have used a piece of ply glued to the upper surface of the wing. I then buried the 1/4-20 screw in the foam at the bottom of the wing for a cleaner look. Since about 95% of the time you'll be upright there is no danger of the wing popping off in flight. Even with a super hard hit I only sheared the wing bolts and stripped a wing servo. The rest of the wing was perfectly fine.

IRJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Jun 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Rick,
were you using nylon bolts or metal?