HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2013, 12:53 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,932 Posts
Alert
A change for GWS props

I am in the process of trying to sort this out with GWS and I hope I can but your precious 8x4.3 prop is golden now.
Effective immediately all slow fly props from the GWS factory that are 8", 9" or 10" have a different hub. I have already received shipment of the new style.
The new hub no longer has a 5.5mm hex socket in it. The new props have a round 7mm socket in them and come with a set of spacers to fit different sizes of shafts. The spacer set comes with two each 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ID. They do not come with a 5.5mm spacer so all the motors (Hacker, ect..) and the prop savers that we are currently using do not fit.
I do have some prop savers that are 5.5mm on one side and 7mm on the other so they will work but in the case of the hackers they will not work.
I will update this thread in the case the I can talk GWS into supplying some 5.5mm spacers.
Mike
Fancyfoam
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
590 Posts
The world has ended
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2010
60 Posts
A change for GWS props

Anyone know why they would change? Seems to be a popular prop. Is there some other application that represents a bigger or more lucrative market?
DaveWhitt is online now Find More Posts by DaveWhitt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:47 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,932 Posts
It seems that GWS is still stuck in a world of brushed motors with props that bolt on. It is cool that they want to make their props more versatile but this would have been handy 5 years ago before prop savers when we were drilling out the hubs to fit on collets. I figure in 5 more years they will start using prop savers.
Mike
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:41 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I am in the process of trying to sort this out with GWS and I hope I can but your precious 8x4.3 prop is golden now.
Effective immediately all slow fly props from the GWS factory that are 8", 9" or 10" have a different hub. I have already received shipment of the new style.
The new hub no longer has a 5.5mm hex socket in it. The new props have a round 7mm socket in them and come with a set of spacers to fit different sizes of shafts. The spacer set comes with two each 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ID. They do not come with a 5.5mm spacer so all the motors (Hacker, ect..) and the prop savers that we are currently using do not fit.
I do have some prop savers that are 5.5mm on one side and 7mm on the other so they will work but in the case of the hackers they will not work.
I will update this thread in the case the I can talk GWS into supplying some 5.5mm spacers.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Mike I thought the hackers were supplied with a 5.5 - 7mm top hat spacer? Its been a whilke since I purchased a Hacker though
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:32 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,932 Posts
I measured a spacer from an A10-9l and the spacer is 7.8mm. This matches the hub on an APC prop.
Mike
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:51 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
The motors that I have experience with have all come with an adapter that fits the new style props. I have to say that I think it's a change for the better...the props are much smoother and stay on better with fewer O-rings or smaller bands. It's a very precise fit.

However, it is absolutely perplexing to me that they do not come with an adapter that fits the motors that were designed for the hex mount. I hope they come with those soon because it is a real pain when you lose one of the aluminum adapters that come with the motors.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
This thread needs a picture!

Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:56 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
590 Posts
I actually envisaged the usual thick heavy centre boss, you get on props which have an adapter. That looks pretty good
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:39 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
I don't know if it's the reason but the quadcopter guys have been jumping on the GWS slowfliys...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:27 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
I'm sure someone will find a way to mod it to fit...
--Brian
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Jun 26, 2013, 09:34 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,448 Posts
Quote:
It seems that GWS is still stuck in a world of brushed motors with props that bolt on.
Mike
++This, I always hated that about GWS props.

As for them including orings I really don't see a big deal, when you go to larger aircraft many prop vendors include those. If an oring is too small you can always use a prop reamer, though on a 5mm and smaller prop shafts that's not an option. What we really need is these motor manufacturers and prop manufacturers to begin using a standard.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jun 26, 2013, 08:15 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,932 Posts
Problem is that they send 3 different sizes of rings and none on them match the old hub size. I would say that most people do not have a prop reamer and it is a pain to ream a ring as they want to spin. I guess you would have to glue the ring in and then buy a metric reamer if you still want to use the props. Maybe I will give my daughter a project so she can make a little money and I can sell props that my customers want.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
++This, I always hated that about GWS props.

As for them including orings I really don't see a big deal, when you go to larger aircraft many prop vendors include those. If an oring is too small you can always use a prop reamer, though on a 5mm and smaller prop shafts that's not an option. What we really need is these motor manufacturers and prop manufacturers to begin using a standard.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 06:21 AM
Suspended Account
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Mike
Fancyfoam
This is where my 3D printer will come in handy!
pasternak is offline Find More Posts by pasternak
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
The new props have a round 7mm socket in them...
Ok, but what's the diameter of the center hole?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards