Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:37 AM
If it flies, I like it.
Thailand, Sing Buri, In Buri
Joined May 2012
436 Posts
Discussion
How to make a very thin, airfoil wing?

Hi,
I would like to make a very thin airfoil wing for a pylon racer. I have made Armin wings before with a thicker airfoil. I would like to step the lift down and make smaller airfoil wings for faster planes. Can anyone tell me how to make thin airfoils out of foam board?

Thanks in advance.
mongdex is offline Find More Posts by mongdex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:08 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,315 Posts
I guess you'd need to form a solid foam wing with a full-depth spar (or spars) and cover it with epoxy-glass or similar.
Paper covering stuck of with WBPU would also work well.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,081 Posts
How about 3mm depron with KFm2 ?
A 4mm x 1mm carbon flat spar just behind the top 3mm depron (so 1mm into lower main wing sheet). Cover with brightly coloured packing tape to add strength. What about some pictures of your build
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:10 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I have had good luck on my last few builds by sanding an airfoil into a wing cut from 6mm Depron. First I embed a carbon fiber spar into the bottom of the wing and then start the sanding. I start with 80 grit paper on a half sheet sanding block as used on drywall seams. Round the leading edge about 25% of the cord back on the top and taper the rear 60% to a thin trailing edge. Cover the bottom with 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth wrapping about 13mm around the leading edge onto the top surface. I use water based polyurathane rather than epoxy to save weight and work. After the bottom is dry feather out the edge of the glass on the top surface and cover the top wrapping around the leading edge about 13mm onto the bottom. This gives a double layer on the leading edge for a bit more ding resistance. This has worked well on small wings up to about 22-24 inches. The actual airfoil is not all that critical at these sizes but try to keep the left and right panels symetrical.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:05 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,275 Posts
Start on page 2 and begin reading http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1504266&page=2
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2003
676 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802556

You can follow the same method but do away with the foam spar and Use the CF for the spar. You will have to use the CF or the wing will fold up when that thin.
grant31781 is offline Find More Posts by grant31781
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
A master class, right there...
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have built both wings for different planes ,the master freddie's wing was great for my BD-5 wing because its a thin airfoil and the other wing is great for thicker ones on their planes like my das canard stick iam scratch building. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup