SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
RC Battle Of Brittain

I don't know whether this has already been done but I think it would be really fun. It takes RC dog-fighting with small airsoft guns to a whole new level. A world war 2 sort of level.

The main idea is to have teams of people fighting in RC planes. These obviously represent two waring nations (e.g. Britain and Germany). Each plane would be a scale model of a real war aircraft, with the same amount of people operating it. These could be specific to WW2 planes or whatever war is being re-fought. You could have the whole crew of a Lancaster bomber (complete with gunners, navigator and such) flying an RC raid, supported by a few squadrons of RC spitfires, trying to bomb a model aircraft factory. The German army would be flying RC Messerschmitt 109s, Trying to shoot down the Lancaster bomber/ enemy bomber in order to save their aircraft factory so that they can make more aircraft. Each team would start off with maybe 10 aircraft factories that would gradually get destroyed. When a factory gets destroyed, no airplanes can be repaired or built by that team for a pre-determined amount of time (for example 20 minutes).

You would need cameras all over the aeroplanes, one for each pilot/ gunner/ person.The gunners cameras would have crosshairs to show where the gun is pointing. You could also have accelerometers on peoples video glasses so that they can just turn their head to look around. They would use a joystick to move the gun by aiming the crosshair and then fire. The crosshair would stay in the same spot in relation to their cockpit until they move their joystick. This would be done with software. This way you can simulate being in a real dogfight- turning your head to look for the enemy and moving the joystick to move/ fire the gun. The gunners would need to shoot at the enemy plane enough to make it fall out of the sky.

The pilot could also use accelerometers to look around controlling the camera and avoid fire from enemy planes.

The navigator of the bomber plane would obviously be in charge or directing the pilot to the destination and back, so comunication would be crutial.

The bomber would obviously be in charge of dropping the bomb at the right time. The bomber would be looking at a map trying to line up a crosshair with a grid reverence while communicating with the pilot. He would say "bombs dropped" and the plane must then get home, just like in a real war plane. The bomber could possibly also do the job of navigator.

The bomb would be a small explosive, possibly made from the black powder in fireworks, just enough bang to make the model factory building explode.

All the aircraft would be of a reletavely inexpensive foam construction so as to not matter too much if it crashes. They would probably be rough scale models. Of course you don't wan't it to crash so you need to be a good pilot/ gunner/ bomber or whatever.

There would be a group of commanders on each team that would watch all the teams cameras, giving strategic orders to help the team win.

There would also be a referee watching everyone's cameras to ensure fair play. All planes and people would also be checked to prevent cheating.

This idea would be an RC battle of Britain. That would just be epic.

So what do you all think of this idea?
AlasdairGeddes is offline Find More Posts by AlasdairGeddes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:38 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
It would be epic, but also seems very unlikely. First of all you need a lot of people to run the aircraft. Secondly you may build the planes from foam, but all those cameras and other gadgets cost a fortune. Attaching pyrotechnics to rc model aircraft may be illegal in some countries.

Online videogames like Aces High 2 offer the same experience. For offline action IL2 seems best. Decent computer, good internet connection and a joystick are a must of course. When you sit behind a computer or videoglasses anyway, why not do it at home?

I think rc combat with scale planes and streamers is a way to go. I am involved in 1/12 WW2 ACES combat in Europe. I do not like the current rules, because the models are owerpowered and small fighters are not very competitive, but it is a working system. Airsoft, lasers etc seems pointless to me, because the pilot is on the ground.
Recce is offline Find More Posts by Recce
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Air paintball in real planes would also be fun. Use lasers and paintballs to score points.
Also, I think RC wars could be more realistic than video games.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
I think RC wars could be more realistic than video games.
I do not understand how, because you get the same info as in a computer simulator. It is very difficult to make an rc model fly like a real plane, unless you build large.

Seems like a dead end to me, but feel free to experiment.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post
I do not understand how, because you get the same info as in a computer simulator. It is very difficult to make an rc model fly like a real plane, unless you build large.

Seems like a dead end to me, but feel free to experiment.
Fair enough. Both would be fun. RC would be more of a spectacle and would have better graphics/ real life . Video games are a better simulation. Video games are cheaper and easier to organise.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:16 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
Anyone on here play IL2?
Boston Bob is offline Find More Posts by Boston Bob
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:26 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Anyone on here play IL2?
I have a feeling that many, me included.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:24 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,470 Posts
I would love to but, I have read so many bad reviews about the software that I don't dare invest in it.

From the official IL2 forum:
Quote:

Is this STILL not fixed?!!!

It's been a good while since I was last on this forum and thought I'd just check in.

I am stunned that it is still no further along to be considered in the same breath as "IL2"in all it's forms, but even more stunned that there are still a small number of zealots vainly clinging to the small thread of hope that it will be fixed!!!

See the light people. This sim was stillborn and still shows no signs of ever becoming a viable sim. It's a bargain bin title now and for such a recent title that says everything you need to know!

Such great expectations. Such a sad end.

P.s. I'd like my 50 refunded please. I paid out on the past reputation of this franchise and can only describe this product as a "scam"!

End Quote.
And Quote:

Nope, still not fixed but they'll sure STILL sell it to you. I like how they'll say "Oh we have patches now"; It's a little misleading and on purpose IMO. I wish never bought this game. There is no MANUAL updating system and Steam absolutely will not update this game. I want the version the Developers were showing us in the game play videos because what I have is choppy, discolored and buggy as all hell.

End quote!

I wish somebody did make a good fighter pilot war game.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
I played IL2 1946 for like 2 years and my god what fun it was!!!

Was in a squadron that transferred from Red Baron 3D to IL2. We had organized wars and squadron flight practices and roles in the wars.
KajunKombat is offline Find More Posts by KajunKombat
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
I would love to but, I have read so many bad reviews about the software that I don't dare invest in it.
I got my IL2 Sturmovik 1946 for some 10 eur and it works. I don`t know what bad reviews you are talking about.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2004
247 Posts
He's talking about the newest version of IL2: Battle of Britain. The original version (the last patch was called 1946) is still a blast to play, and is very good.

EDIT: Oops, the new version is actually called IL2 Cliffs of Dover.
Reehoe is offline Find More Posts by Reehoe
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,138 Posts
Logistics aside, It would be such a large financial investment that you'd never sell the idea to enough people to get it to work.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
Johnny Rabuse
Joined Aug 2011
469 Posts
I tried the game and it wouldnt run on windows seven if anyone knows what I should do or any info on what joystick I need would greatly appreciate the info ....
JohnnyCrash.NYC is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyCrash.NYC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2003
663 Posts
hi guys did a show whith giant scale b25 and corsairs . for that they built a carboard
oil refinery ,just basic but just going to blow it up anyways ,whith preset ground pyro.
custom made "bottle rockets" were used for flack .b25 dropped dummy bombs
the ground pyro is set off when bombs hit ground.was a nice lil show
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,082 Posts
I have warbirds 2012- it's a pretty nice simulator, with an online segment, although I haven't tried that yet. Lot's of aplanes, and a decent amount of missions, and fully customizable missions.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks