Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Today, 04:15 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
....I may try a stabilized receiver as I've got them in most of my other planes and they work pretty well. I thought I'd give this a go with a standard receiver though. I've got the throws dialed in pretty well and it's not too hard to control, it's just really fast for the size compared to what I'm used to and at low speeds it felt a little wobbly and harder to control. I probably just need to practice a bit more and get used to it. Might need to fine tune the cg too.
Consider a Guardian:
Experimenting with a Guardian in a Polaris 2 (4 min 5 sec)
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 07:27 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
. I think I'll probably want to pick up an inflatable raft though as I don't care for the thought of swimming in ice cold water to retrieve it should something happen.

I'll post a picture of it once I figure out how.
Might be a good excuse to get one of these purely for rescue purposes (not for fun)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...trSearch=swamp
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:39 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,031 Posts
There's a sweet spot at about 50-70% throttle where I fly most of the time (including during takeoff -- there's no need for full power for TO except on ground with high friction). This range of power gives comfortable speed and solid control.

Below about 40%, control becomes less crisp, increasing amounts of up elevator are needed to maintain height and eventually wing rock sets in. This flight zone presents an interesting challenge to be mastered. You should be able to fly around with lots of up elevator, controlling height with throttle and steering with rudder (ailerons are ineffective at high alpha).

Regarding CG, you want it right about at the step. Further forward does not improve handling; it reduces elevator effectiveness and contributes to nose dropping in turns, making the model harder to fly. Further back makes the model more responsive and eventually gets into a zone where handling becomes more difficult.

The Eagletree Guardian works well in Polaris, but so does the $20 Lemon receiver.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Today, 11:55 AM
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Consider a Guardian: http://youtu.be/fAFSk39Ysbo
That "Guardian" looks like it worked GREAT!! would be a big help especially on hand launches! I'll need to try one! a little worried that it takes much of the "excitement" out of flying? can it be enabled/disabled with a switch in mid flight?
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Today, 12:52 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost who walks View Post
Might be a good excuse to get one of these purely for rescue purposes (not for fun)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...trSearch=swamp
Heh I'd probably wind up with both toys stuck out in the middle of the lake

I might pick one of those up sometime though, looks like fun. Need to let the bank account recover though, RC is a lot cheaper than it used to be but instead of saving money I seem to end up with more toys instead. I'm starting to think a drug habit would have been cheaper.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2014
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
There's a sweet spot at about 50-70% throttle where I fly most of the time (including during takeoff -- there's no need for full power for TO except on ground with high friction). This range of power gives comfortable speed and solid control.

Below about 40%, control becomes less crisp, increasing amounts of up elevator are needed to maintain height and eventually wing rock sets in. This flight zone presents an interesting challenge to be mastered. You should be able to fly around with lots of up elevator, controlling height with throttle and steering with rudder (ailerons are ineffective at high alpha).

Regarding CG, you want it right about at the step. Further forward does not improve handling; it reduces elevator effectiveness and contributes to nose dropping in turns, making the model harder to fly. Further back makes the model more responsive and eventually gets into a zone where handling becomes more difficult.

The Eagletree Guardian works well in Polaris, but so does the $20 Lemon receiver.
That pretty well reflects my experience so far. At low throttle it gets a bit wobbly and wide open it has a pronounced climb without a bit of down elevator. In the 50-70% range it cruises around really nicely and would almost be relaxing with a bit more space. Soccer season has me stuck in a schoolyard where the Polaris is fast enough that I'm spending a lot of time in turns and figure eights.

I have one of those stabilized Lemon receivers and some of the OrangeRX ones, the latter I've got in several of my planes with the Open Flight Stabilizer firmware and they do perform pretty well. I may try the Lemon in the Polaris and see how it feels. I guess I figured the standard receiver would force me to get a feel for the thing without being tempted to turn on the stabilizer. Also the stabilized receivers are all top-pin which makes for a bit of a tight fit while the end-pin Lemon receivers fit very nicely. At any rate I flew another 3 batteries in it on my way to work today and brought it down intact each time, so far so good.

As for the CG, I've got it pretty close to the step. Since I used a control cable and put the elevator servo in the fuselage rather than embedded in the tail and I'm using relatively heavy 3S 2200 packs, the battery is almost completely behind the battery tray in the nose. I still need to glue down the ESC and tidy up all the wiring now that I'm satisfied that everything is working.

I also need to come up with a good way of sealing the hatch as it tends to bow up slightly in the middle. I'm thinking some magnets set into the foam might do. I don't like the idea of having to tape it each time for water flights.
Old Today, 02:29 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
....The Eagletree Guardian works well in Polaris, but so does the $20 Lemon receiver.
No argument, they just provide different levels of service. The Lemon won't do any of the things demonstrated in the video. In fact, the Guardian mode that corresponds to the Lemon functionality, I consider "off". But some people think all stabilizers do the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
That "Guardian" looks like it worked GREAT!! would be a big help especially on hand launches! I'll need to try one! a little worried that it takes much of the "excitement" out of flying? can it be enabled/disabled with a switch in mid flight?
Yes. With the new software there are 5 operating modes (one being off) that can be assigned to positions on a mode switch.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Last edited by choochoo22; Today at 02:34 PM.
Old Today, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2014
257 Posts
Yeah I'm well aware that the cheap stabilizers lack accelerometers and can't do everything the Eagletree can. I'm not into 3D or fancy tricks though so the simple stabilizer does what I want. If not for wind I wouldn't bother with them but most nice days around here tend to be breezy and it's unpredictable. More than once I've taken off in still air and then suddenly the wind picks up. The stabilizers take away much of the frustration there. I do worry a bit about servo wear though, especially on planes like the Polaris where the servos are not accessible without surgery.
Old Today, 03:11 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,623 Posts
The "cinema" 150% polaris still work really good...
1650g all up... the 2814/12 axi+9x7x3blades deliver excellent punch (106g)
and i have enough flight time with 3s2500 or 3s3300

The roll gimbal does make an HERO job

Lake Vacation (3 min 0 sec)
ggtronic is online now Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Today, 04:03 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
599 Posts
Great mix ggtronic. Once I think you've done it all you are shifting the limits again. Clever job. Stunnung results.
ak68 is online now Find More Posts by ak68