HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2003
426 Posts
Discussion
JR Indoor Electric Festival is now Horizon Indoor

Same great event, same venue, same friendly staff. Go to www.horizonindoor.com for the latest details and pre registration information. More information to follow.
Terry N is offline Find More Posts by Terry N
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2013, 05:31 AM
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
648 Posts
Got the dates locked in Terry, looking forward to it!
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Sep 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
790 Posts
Time off locked in-just need to lock down the hotel and finish some airplanes
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Sep 05, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
790 Posts
So do i need a time machine so I can register before Nov 1 2009? check your six and your registration form...LOL
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Sep 06, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Sep 2003
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed2004 View Post
So do i need a time machine so I can register before Nov 1 2009? check your six and your registration form...LOL
The good news is that it won't take a very exotic time machine to only traverse to 2009. Although it might be easier to change the form. Good catch!
Terry N is offline Find More Posts by Terry N
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2013
5 Posts
cool
Eternal_Paradise is offline Find More Posts by Eternal_Paradise
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:08 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Can't wait. Everything is ready and vacation time is in at work and hotel reservations are made. Looking forward to this event all year.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:20 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Time for me to get cracking. Best get a hotel room, find a plane or two and get some ice cream and be ready to roll.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:24 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Hey Conehead, I will have a present for you this year! Should be ready to BNF by this weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Oh Lord, my prayers have been answered. Edge you are the best. I don't know what I would do without you.

I hope our New York contingent can come this year, Last year, Sandy put the kybosh on them.

How much money do I owe you Edge?

This is the best event.

Azarr will have a new transmitter also. He will be flying everything in sight.

You are so kind Edge.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:05 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
you don't owe me anything Conehead. We settled that last year.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
It will be great to see you, your brother and Nathan, if he can come. Last year Apple rolled out a new phone and he was on duty 24/7 if I remember right.

This is a very cool event. Most everyone is like "family". We have lots to eat, joke around, win prizes and just have a great time.

Terry sure knows how to run an event.

I remember one year when he asked about pilot stations, he said no one followed them, but asked if the pilots wanted them, everyone said no, he said, Ok have at it guys, have fun, if you have a midair, well no problem.

I have met some great people there, You, Edge_pilot and all the other people. the year we got rained on inside due to there only being portable heaters and ice on the lake.

Great memories for sure.

Many thanks, you are one special guy.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2006
99 Posts
can someone give a new guy a run down of the happenings at this event. Good someone with moderate skills have fun at it?
bigemike is offline Find More Posts by bigemike
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:53 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Moderate skills, well that won't be a problem Bige Mike.

I believe the biggest problem I had was when I saw my plane close to the walls. I then learned to make smaller circles and there is lots of room in the Dome. I don't know the exact size, but you can practice outdoors by flying close to yourself.

There can be as many as 20 or more planes in the air. You can pick less busy times to fly. Open flying is most of the event. There are specific times set aside for ducted fans(jets) times for built up and scale flying. Lots of pilots fly in this section.

Bernie will pick a time and announce that the next plane to hit the bullseye, hanging way up in the dome, they get a prize. Planes go to the bullseye like moths to a light. The bullseye hangs about 80 to 100 feet from the back of the dome.

On one side there is the 3D area with helies also. The other side has micro planes, usually ones that weigh very little, not the micros from Horizon or Great Planes.

There is lots of room, you can pick the height you want to fly, I usually take off, work my way up towards the top of the dome, then work my way back down and land.

There is a lake we build, called Spectrum Lake, so float planes can fly off of it. Vapors, all kinds of float planes fly from the lake. this year they will be an award for Scale Float planes and Sport Float planes.

There is lots of room, you may want to wear some layers, because early in the morning it is cool in the dome, it warms during the day. Many women who come with their husbands, usually have sweaters or other long sleeved garments, some wear coats all the time.

There have been in the past, pylon races. Horizon provided the planes, their micro ones, most successful was the micro Trojan. Everyone who races pays $10 to enter. Then they run heats, then the winners run off, finally the finals are held. After the race, all the pilots who entered the pylon race, they draw names for the planes. All 10 planes are then given away via a draw of the tickets. You usually have about a 1-10 chance of winning a plane. They are a very neat prize.

There are vendors there, great sale prices, all kinds of stuff.

This is one of the nicest events held. There are others, some are gaining followers, I can't go to all of them, but I choose this one as #1.

There are some very neat scale models also flown here. Some micro stuff is out of this world.

Hope this helps.
I doubt you will have trouble flying in the dome. There are photos of the place on last years thread, called the JR Indoor. You have to go back through the past events and get to 2012,

Conehead
Orrin Eldred

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1316047&page=7

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536198

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762048

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764361

These links will take you to the Horizon Indoor Electric Festival, while it was named the JR Indoor in years past, the name has been changed to The Horizon Indoor Electric Festival. These thread will show you some of the airplanes that are flown there, some of the people and the size of the dome.

I must say, I have always had a good time, met lots of very good pilots.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Sep 12, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added links, not Orrin syndrome.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
can someone give a new guy a run down of the happenings at this event. Good someone with moderate skills have fun at it?
If you have moderate skills you will be better than alot of pilots. There is everyone from newbs to proffesional pilots and everything in between.

Like Conehead states, its a VERY big place. Most pilots only use about a third of the dome when flying.

We look forward to this one every year, we have alot of fun there and usually will get 100+ flights in the three days.
RCG Plus Member